Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Id it my imagination or did the price of vegetables increase drastically

in the last few weeks? Seems like fruit and veg have gotten super expensive all of a sudden. Not many sales and applus that I can usually find under $1/lb are nearly a buck and 1/2. Cucumbers, tomatoes, pears. I saw portabello mushrooms today for $1.99 EACH. And the eggplant that is shrivelled and dried out is over $2/lb. Good grief!

I've never paid much attention to veggies, except in the summer and always bought what was on sale, mostly fruit 'cause Robert is happy with frozen veg. I'm wondering if this is just something in between seasons? Do the prices go down pretty soon?

HELP!!!!!
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 286.6/273.5/150

Nope, not your imagination. I noticed in my area, a bunch of broccoli is now 1.99 and cauliflower is 2.49! I refuse to pay those prices. Everything is increasing. I've decided to try out my green thumb and start a small garden this spring to help save money on all that expensive store bought produce.
SweetMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #3  

They haven't increased in my area and the things you mentioned are out of season and always cost more then.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

What is fairly inexpensive varies by season. Right now, my farmer's market has great prices on asparagus, carrots, spring onions, oranges, strawberries, rhubarb, greens (chard, kale, mustard, collard, and other greens), cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower. Next to come down the line will be the peas, turnips, radishes, young spring lettuces, snap peas, beets, and spinach...usually the asparagus, strawberries, carrots, and greens keep on coming during this time too. Then we get into the really good summer stuff...all kinds of beans, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and eggplants, and squash so cheap because they just want to get rid of it, all the melons, and all of the stone fruits (apricots start the season, then peaches, plums, nectarines, and so forth). Finally you end up with the fall stuff...apples, winter squashes, potatoes, onions...and those keep you going until spring comes again.

Each of those things, at my farmer's market, is super cheap when in season and abundant (we got bunches of asparagus for a dollar each, it's just in high season right now so there is a LOT). Come the end of the season, the price will start going up, until it doesn't show up anymore. By then, though, we'll have long beans, green beans, and squash!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #5  

I know it varies by season, and I got a decent price on aspergrass. Strawberries last week were $2 a container but more like $4 this week. Maybe it's jsut the stuff I like to eat that's out of season right now, LOL!

We have a farmer's market here in the summer which I will def. be checking out. Not sure if it is cheaper but should be fresher.

Barb
Old 04-03-2010, 01:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/184/130ish - 33 y.o.

Height: 5'2"

i know that late winter weather that hit the southern states really decreased the yields... therefore raising prices. soon the fresh farmers markets will be going, as well as the first bit of garden grub.
jlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I am going to go with 'more expensive'. We have actually had a lot of luck this past winter in going to an organic only market near us but last weekend, we walked away with very little produce. Of course prices do fluctuate week by week so we'll see how it is this weekend.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #8  

Good luck, Nelie! Crossing my fingers. I have no idea how to grow a garden full of veg, but I may have to learn! I did get strawberries for $1.50 yesterday at the super walmart. Everything else is sky high. Except aspergrass, which I already got and they are out of. Oh, and sweet potatoes were cheap. Probably the ones they've had stored since last fall. We'll see!

Thanks goodness for spinach, which seems to be about the same all the time!

Barb
Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It wasn't great but got a couple veggies. Funny thing is this store tries to focus on local but local isn't great right now and they really only stock stuff that is in season so you may see something one week in the store but not the next or you may not see it for months.

Yesterday, they had mangoes and avocados on sale. I guess Mexico is doing well crop wise
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote