Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Crockpot Quinoa

1.5 cups quinoa
3 1/2 cups liquid
seasonings to taste if desired

Rinse Quinoa, combine ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours or until liquid is mostly absorbed and quinoa is tender

Southeast Asian variation (very mild flavored, you can increase the seasonings or add more after cooking).

1 can (15 oz) chicken broth (or any broth)
1 and 1/2 cups water
2 bouillon cubes (I used one chicken and one cilantro cube - both Knorr brand)
1 T fish sauce (I use Squid or Three Crabs brand)

When I made this, I was intending to use the quinoa in place of rice in a fried rice recipe, so I added the broth cubes and the fish sauce to get some seasoning into the quinoa first.

It was so good that I never made the fried "rice," and just served the quinoa as a side dish. The next day I made a quinoa salad for lunch by adding a bit of rice wine vinegar and splenda and some diced turkey ham and a bit of grated ginger (I keep ginger root in the freezer and then use a microplane grater to grate what I need). When I make it again, I'm going to add bean sprouts and green onions to the salad (and maybe some fresh thai herbs like thai basil, mint, and/or cilantro).

The cilantro cubes can be a little hard to find, and sometimes they're with the other bouillon cubes, and sometimes they're with the oriental, hispanic, or other ethnic foods. It looks like some Walmarts carry them, though.

I bought mine at Big Lots, and I like them so much I would order them online if I had to.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Knorr-Hisp...20-ct/10898605
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote