3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Food > Food Talk And Fabulous Finds > Shoestring Meals

Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Cost Of Weight Loss

Old 11-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #31

S/C/G: 380/380/198

Height: 6'3

I spend way less for sure on food. The main reason is just not oging out ot eat fast food 2 times a day or more many times a week. I shop at Giant I'm not sure how if you have one in your area but they have great prices on veggies and fruits. I spend less on them then I would the junk food and even get great prices for lean meats.
Nate0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #32
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

We spend about the same for food...we are lucky to live in area that has quite a few farmer's markets plus with meat we buy in bulk at Sam's.

If I did spend more on food my weight loss would still be worth every single penny

"The most exciting, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself."

My fan page on facebook! www.facebook.com/taneeisfitforlife
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #33

S/C/G: 244/215/150

I spend more only because I buy whatever I want as long as it's healthy. I don't care if it's on sale or if it's expensive, if I want it I get it. This is because it's really easy for me to eat junk food and not care what it is, for an example ice cream, I'd buy whatever was on sale, Edy's, Breyer's, etc because who cares it's going to be delicious anyway. But healthy foods I sometimes have to force myself to eat it, so I buy what really looks good to give me incentive to eat it. So it cost more but it's not putting a huge dent in my pocket and it's totally worth it.
chicagoatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #34
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0201 View Post
I spend way less for sure on food. The main reason is just not oging out ot eat fast food 2 times a day or more many times a week. I shop at Giant I'm not sure how if you have one in your area but they have great prices on veggies and fruits. I spend less on them then I would the junk food and even get great prices for lean meats.
Wow! I avoid Giant because their prices are expensive.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #35

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I remember Magruders (as opposed to Whole Foods, Safeway or Giant) as being a cost effective place. Buying on sale and in season.

Karen925
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #36
Just Me

I used to shop at Magruder's when it was on my way home from work. Now, I've actually switched to buying to a place called "My Organic Market". They have pretty good prices on produce even if it is organic. Some stuff (out of season) tends to be more costly but I've been buying organic avocados for 99 cents each there lately and organic apples about $1.69/lb.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #37

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I shop at MOM's ocassionally primarily for spices and when I was baking break I loved they had the whole wheat white flour and great baking supplies.

If you aren't concerned about organic, I've found that Lotte's and Qmart have good prices on fresh produce. They are both large Asian markets about the size of a large Safeway. I can get a cart full of groceries-produce, tofu and fish for ~$50 for 2 people-one is almost a vegetarian. I love it.

Large Asian markets tend to have good prices because they have high turnover. The smaller mom and pop stores are just the opposite, very expensive and limited selection.

sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #38
Just Me

I love Lotte and Qmart too! Qmart is on my way home so I often shop there for produce and they have fresh tofu there as well. Love asian markets
Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #39

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Good idea on the beauty college. I'm not sure where in the UK you are based, but in London there are several where you can get a full body massage for 20. Also, you can get your haircut at Headmasters on a standby appointment for 20. Or if your brave you can go to the Toni and Guy academy and get it done there for free or a fiver. I went a few times... no complaints, but I found they tend to be a little scissor happy and thin out my hair too much (I have really thick hair); Headmasters on the other hand cut it just how I ask them too.

For food, I've always spent loads on good quality foods. I think it's worth it. I only buy whole foods and that's surely cheaper than pre-packed/pre-prepared foods. Fresh fruits and veg on the other hand... no way around that.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #40

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Another vote for larger Asian markets. I wish we had them here but we have Sun Harvest which is very good both for quality and price.

I haven't had a raise in my food budget in 4 years but with careful shopping I haven't needed one and still we eat healthy.

Karen925
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.