Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #1  

Default low blood sugar and exercise on P1

Hey ladies (& gents, if they hang out here!)...

I read the SBD book this afternoon, as I'm fed up with low-fat (WW). It works for me for a little while, then it stops, I get fed up, I put the weight back on. You know the drill! I'm seriously thinking of switching to SBD, as in I'm foaming at the mouth to get started, but I have one major concern that I hope one of you guys can help me with:

I am a reactive hypoglycemic (which is one reason why I think this is the diet for me -- takes into account the GI and all). I have also been exersicing relatively regularly (I'm trying! -- 3x per week). Obviously, exercise lowers one's blood sugar as it's being used by your body for energy, so the dietician I saw regarding the hypoglycemia recommended that I eat fruit/have fruit juice/have 15g carbs before I work out so that my sugars don't get too low during the workout (which would lead to me passing out... not fun).

Now, on to my question:
If I start the SBD, how the heck am I going to manage this on Phase 1? Veggies don't effect your blood sugar enough to make a difference, and I think that the same holds for protien. I don't want to take 2 weeks off of the exercise while I'm on phase 1, but the point of P1 is to avoid carbs....

How do I keep my blood sugar in line so I don't get dizzy and faint while remaining true to the plan?

ANY advice you could give me would be great, I'd really like to start on SB. I think it would be a great improvement to my health and help keep the hypoglycemia under control.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #2  
Chris, a chick on track!

S/C/G: sz 24/sz 20/sz 14

Default Give beans a try!

Disclaimer: i am not a doctor, nor do I play on on TV

Do you like beans, there are great recipes here and since the sugars are released slowly they may be a good choice.

I have never been officially diagnosed with hypoglycemia but if I go to long without a meal or snacks I get dizzy and a very bad headache. So I am definitely watch this. Having a dish with beans most every day helps me.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #3  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

I would def want to avoid passing out, lol.

You could do phase 1 1/4-basically just eat a piece of fruit (real fruit) before working out but still skip all the other no-no's on phase 1. It might work.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #4  

That's a good idea..... Cutting out the rest of the carbs except 1 fruit might work. I can be on the full Phase 1 every day except those that I exercise. It's worth a shot! I just have to be careful about it not leading to other restricted P1 items...

As for beans, they'd be good to eat during the day anyway, but as for having them before working out, they release too slowly to be of help for this situation. I need something that'll dump sugar into me temporarily!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #5  

Hi there-

Just read your post. I am and have been an avid exerciser for a long time, so when I started P1, I couldn't reduce the carbs quite as much right before exercising. What I did/have been eating (and still losing weight) is eating one of the SB Diet Snack Bars. They really help me out, and help me last for hour long+cardio workouts!

Good Luck!
Closed Thread