Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #1  

Unhappy Side Effect- Taking Metformin w/ Diet

Hello- I'm new to the SBD, just started on Monday. I don't find it too difficult right now, but I keep feeling sick to my stomach. I started to wonder if it's because I'm also taking Metformin, which is dropping my blood sugar. Could it be dropping too much & I am feeling sick? Should I add in a serving or two of complex carbs during Phase 1 to counter this side-effect?

Anyone else go through this?

Thanks for any help & good luck to everyone out there!

Lisa
Old 09-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #2  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

I'm not too sure about answering your question the right way, but I can say that my husband and I have both been doing SBD since early August. He's a diabetic and before SBD his blood sugar was in the 300-400 range. Now, his fasting blood sugar is 83-100 when he first wakes up. So, it's been a significant drop for him. I believe he's on a generic form of Metformin...but I don't remember the name for sure. There has been a few times that he's complained of stomach aches, but it's seemed to go away. Our Dr. thought this was a good plan for him to be on, but you might want to ask your Dr. about what you're experiencing.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Definitely ask your doctor. There is a section on dieting with Health Problems in here which may be of help.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #4  
Who needs sleep?

Definitely ask your dr or his nurse about the blood pressure, but I have a friend who was on metformin for PCOS, not diabetes, and it caused a lot of digestive upset, cramping, etc. I believe these are common side effects of the medication, but your info sheet from the pharmacy should say - or call the pharmacist for more info (I find they are often better informed on med's side effects and such than md's are).
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #5  

Cool

I'm a Type 2 diabetic and I take Glucophage (the generic for which is Metformin). I had to stick with the brand because the generic caused me severe gastrointestinal problems. This may be what you're experiencing. If it continues I would suggest checking with your doctor and trying Glucophage. As for your blood sugar, do you have a meter? You should be testing your sugar regularly (especially after exercise) to be sure it doesn't get too low. As for the SBD, that would certainly be good for your blood sugar since it is a healthy way of eating. Come on over the Dieting with Diabetes thread and join us.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #6  

Thank you everyone, for your responses. I take the Metformin for PCOS. I have severe insulin resistance. I will talk to my endocrinologist & see what he says... he had mentioned, also, that some people handle Glucophage better than Metformin. That may be a first step! : )
Old 09-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #7  

Remember that you should be getting carbs even on phase 1. Eat your legumes (black beans etc) and lots of vegetables. Drink milk and eat plain yogurt. That can help you feel better on phase 1. Everyone else has give you great advice so that is all I can think to add.
Closed Thread