Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:39 PM   #1  
Jessica Sears

Question Non sugar problem

I have a bit of a problem. I started using sugar free stuff such as syrup and candies and it made me very sick, so sick that I ended up in the hospital and the doctor told me it was because of the sugar alcohol thats in most sugar free items. Is there anything else I can use instead of sugar free stuff? Like to put on my mock french toast?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It is definitely a problem that most of us have with sugar alcohols and you are particularly sensitive.
Try using Splenda sprinkled on anything that you feel needs sweetening and avoid the other stuff. It's Frankenfood!
Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #3  
Jessica Sears

Thanks, I am very sensitive even if I only have one peice of sugarless gum my stomach cramps, its horrible. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:36 AM   #4  
kpw

I know many people will probably disagree with me, and it's somewhat controversial, but I happen to like Stevia a lot. It's an herb that's really sweet and really concentrated. To many, it has a licorice aftertaste, but I personally don't get that. I too cannot eat anything with aspartame or the 'ols. Splenda doesn't affect me as much, so I use that primarily for baking. To me, Stevia is great for sprinkling on things, and anything that doesnt require long time baking. I haven't experimented fully with Stevia on baking though...

Stevia isn't approved by the FDA in the US (it's an herbal 'supplement'), so there is a lot of controversy over it (some conspiracy theorist think that big corporations such as the makers of Splenda are 'afraid' of a natural sweetener that's a plant since it may cut into their profits and have claimed that they've spread rumors about the 'dangers' of Stevia). My philosophy is that even things that are approved by the FDA have the potential of harming you (all the COX2 inhibitors controversy these days), so I just try and be sensible about it. I've never had a problem with it and I like the taste. I also like the idea of eating something natural vs something manufactured.

This is the brand I use. I prefer the dry packets to the liquid version: they may send you a sample?

http://www.steviasmart.com/wisherstevpl.html

Here's a pro-Stevia site:
http://www.stevia.net/

I'm sure you can Google to get a bunch of anti-Stevia sites as well.

Hope that helps-

KPW
Old 04-09-2005, 11:48 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Right! I forgot about stevia. I have used it and may do so again. It does make things very very sweet so I avoid it. I find that eating anything sweet, whether from artificial or real sweeteners, sets off cravings for more. Sweet stuff got me into this fluffy body so I am trying to eliminate it completely.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #6  
Jessica Sears

Thank you all so much. I have never heard of Stevia, where can I buy it?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #7  
kpw

You can buy online in the link I had in my last post. Also, I've found Stevia at Trader Joes and at healthfood stores. I prefer the powdered form versus the liquid form-

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I'm copying this to the FAQ because I don't think many will find it here...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #9  
Tia Tortuga

Default About Stevia

Hi -
I grew up in a holistic/organic household so I guess I knew about things like Stevia long before it was heard of in the mainstream. A few things I can tell you that I've picked up over the years (but haven't researched): it is made from the leaves of a plant, so it is indeed an herbal concoction, powdered or put into liquid suspension. The plant is common to South America and has been used as a sweetener in the Andes for thousands of years, apparently without any known side effects. The only known use for it, medicinally, is that the Paraguayan Indian men chew the leaves for birth control. I dont' know if it has proven effective or not, for that!

Stevia is HIGHLY concentrated - a dusting is all you need for a cup of tea or coffee. But it has been shown to be safe for diabetics and for others watching their glycemic indexes - because it is not really sugar, it is just an herb that is sweet in taste. The other thing to be cautious of is what I learned about carrying it around in small vials in my purse - it looks a LOT like coke And who wants to be held up for hours while they test it to find out its not, eh?

Because of its powdered concentration, a small bit will last you for ages - and it won't work correctly in baking. Thinking about the chemistry that takes place in baking - that makes sense, since its really not chemically composed like sugar. If you just need something to dust in there for sweetener - then it works great. The bad aftertaste really only comes from over-using it - too much per recipe.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #10  
Tim McGraw FANATIC!

Thanks!

I have a bottle in my desk from when my doctor was trying to rid me of candida.

It tastes ok and I use it occasionally in my coffee.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #11  

Try some ricotta cheese and cinnamon and roll the french toast up like a crepe. I made these for my friend who is not on s.b. for desert when she came over the other night and she loved them!!! I just like them with I can't believe its not butter spray by its self!!
Closed Thread