Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #1  

Default Phase 2 - How to choose Breads

I found this on another site but I think the information has not changed.

From the "Daily Dish", the newsletter from the paid SBD site:

What to Look for on Labels
12/06/03

Here are three things to watch for when shopping for the South Beach Diet:

High Fiber. Look for breads (Phases 2 and 3) with at least 5 grams of fiber per serving. In general, it is recommended that you get four "high" fiber sources every day (with 5 grams or more of fiber per serving), and three to four "good" fiber sources (with 2.5 grams of fiber per serving). Good fiber sources also include vegetables, whole grains, and beans.

Low Sugar. A simple way to identify sugar in processed foods is to look for words ending in "ose," such as glucose, lactose, and sucrose. If any of these words appear in the first three ingredients listed, then the item is likely to be high in sugar and should be avoided.

"Good" Fats. Stick with monounsaturated fats, like canola oil and olive oil, and polyunsaturated fats like corn oil, peanut oil, and sesame oil. Avoid hydrogenated, saturated, and trans-fatty acids whenever possible. Most solid margarines contain trans-fatty acids, which are created when oil becomes "partially hydrogenated."

Breads to Buy (Phases 2 and 3)

Why are whole-grain breads better for you than breads made with enriched or refined flour? One reason is that whole-grain breads have a lower glycemic index. Another is that whole grains contain phytochemicals that may help cut the risk of heart disease and cancer. If you're in Phase 2 of the diet and can start eating bread again, here are some good brands to buy:

Pepperidge Farm:
100% Stoneground Whole Wheat
Natural Whole Grain 9 Grain
Natural Whole Grain German Dark Wheat
Pepperidge Farm Natural Whole Grain Crunchy Grains or Multi-Grain

Rubschlager:
European Style Whole Grain
100% Rye Rye-Ola Sunflower
100% Rye Rye-Ola Rye
100% Rye Rye-Ola Pumpernickle

Brownberry:
100% Whole Wheat
Natural 12 Grain
Natural Oatnut

Other brands:
Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat
Mrs. Baird's 100% Whole Wheat
Roman Meal 100% Whole Wheat
Arnold 100% Whole Wheat dinner

Eat Fortified, Avoid Enriched
12/04/03

Have you ever seen foods labeled "Vitamin Fortified" and "Vitamin Enriched" and wondered, "What's the difference?"

When something is "fortified," nutrients that were never present in the original product have been added to make it healthier. Common examples include the addition of vitamin D to milk, calcium to orange juice, and soy milk and omega-3 fats to cereals.

When food is "enriched," nutrients that were lost or decreased during processing have been added back to the final product. For example, after creating white flour from wheat, manufacturers reintroduce B vitamins that were stripped during the refining process.

Does that make "enriched" foods healthy? Not really. According to Dr. Agatston, the added nutrients in enriched foods cannot compensate for the natural nutrients and fiber that were lost during the refining process. Fortified foods, on the other hand, still have their natural nutrients and fiber, and in most cases have an added benefit. So follow this general rule the next time you shop: Avoid enriched, eat fortified.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:19 PM   #2  

beachgal added the following information:

it's ALL about the ingredients. If it says "Enriched" in the list, put it back. 100% whole wheat should be good, but you have to check ingredients to make sure. Try to get the lowest grams of sugar possible...some add tons of sugar to the bread.

I like Pepperidge Farms Natural Whole Grain Breads. You can find out more here: http://www.pfwholegrains.com/wholeGrainBasics.html and here: http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/fresh_bread_lunch.asp

I also get Whole Wheat rolls made by the bakery at Wegmans. What I've been told is that in order to call themselves "Whole Wheat", products have to be made completely with whole wheat flour. If they use any white flour, they can only be called "Wheat". So check labels very carefully, okay? Toss back anything with the word enriched and try to get the lowest sugar possible.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #3  
Tim McGraw FANATIC!

I was just going to post a question about which bread to buy. Thanks for all the info. I'm going to print this info out and stick on the cupboard in my kitchen.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Trader Joe's has a great bread that has 5 g of fiber. First one that I've found that has that much. Miltons 100% whole wheat is pretty good and it's got texture, but not too much like it taste like tree bark
Sarah
Old 07-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #5  
Tim McGraw FANATIC!

Thanks. We don't have a Trader Joe's around here. I'll have to try Wegmans and maybe Walmart.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:47 PM   #6  

Smile Another good bread

Hello- I'm new here. We have a bread we can buy here in the Chicago area made by Natural Ovens that is excellent. It's called Original Carb Conscious Bread, and it is very good. They also have Golden Crunch which comes in bread and bagels. Most of their other breads would seem to be Ok as well, but these are outstanding.

BTW, I make a bread pudding with this that is great for breakfast. It's made with this bread, eggs, 2 scoops vanila protein powder, vanilla sugar-free syrup, and water or a little Low Carb milk, and some cinnamon, a little oil. It tastes like French Toast. You could top if with SF maple syrup if you like. Another great quality of this as a breakfast is if you multi-task (like me) and eat on your way to work, this isn't too messy. Unless of course you put the syrup on it. You can freeze it, too.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:20 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

What are the ingredients? Some low-carb breads are not South Beach friendly as this is a good carb diet, not a low carb one.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #8  

Here are the ingredients:

NGREDIENTS:
Filtered Water, Vital Wheat Gluten, Wheat Bran, Oat Groats, Wheat Protein, Bean Flour, Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour, Untreated High Gluten Wheat Flour, Ground Flaxseed, Soy Flour, Wheat Germ, Wheat Fiber, Crystalline Corn Fructose, Inulin, Yeast, Sorghum Flour, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Soy Protein, Barley Malt, Dried Vinegar, Vitamin & Mineral Mix.
VITAMINS & MINERALS:
Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Magnesium Carbonate, Choline, Seleno Yeast, Vitamin E, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, Vitamin B6, Chromium Polynicotinate, Vitamin D.

The only thing that is not allowed is the crystalline corn fructose, but that is a very small amount and used to help the yeast to rise. Each slice has 1 gram sugar. I think most if not all breads have a small amount of sugar for this purpose.
Closed Thread