Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #1  

Question oatmeal

Hi everyone!

I would like to say I'm new to SB, but the truth is I've been off program for quite awhile which is evident by the movement of the scale. I'm back though!!!

I've been following phase 1 pretty well and will enter phase 2 soon. My question is about oatmeal. I haven't bought any yet, but as I seem to remember that Quaker oatmeal has 3 kinds (am I remembering correctly???). I remember instant oatmeal (bad!) and quick oatmeal (still not good). Doesn't Quaker have an oldfashion oatmeal, which is what Dr. Agaston is talking about when he says steel-cut? In reading his book, I read the longer it takes to cook, the better it is for us. Just how much cooking time should I be looking for when I buy oatmeal? (I have seen actual steel-cut oatmeal in the health section of the grocery store, but who wants to spend $5 for a small container???)

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:42 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Go for the old-fashioned Quacker oatmeal. Sure it takes longer to cook but we are WORTH it! Steel cut is probably cheaper at a bulk food store than the grocery store.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:13 PM   #3  

Default Steel Cut Oats

You can also find steel cut oats cheaper at Trader Joes if there is one available in your area.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Also, you can cook old fashioned oatmeal in the microwave (there is instructions on the canister of Quaker oats) so it is fairly quick.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:50 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Cassidy, welcome back!
Good advice from the girls. This program is all about getting back to "real food".
Old 12-01-2004, 11:23 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Old fashioned oats according to my massive Shoprite container (that I won't touch for another week and a half) take 5 minutes in the micro on 50% don't go any longer unless it's in a huge dish or you will have an OATSPLOSION
Closed Thread