Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #1  

Default sugar free candybar question

ok - i think i already know the answer to this one...but hey - you can't blame a girl for trying....
I had a bite of this sugar free bar the other day. It was good...but Im pretty sure it isn't allowed. Here is the nutritional info -
140 calories
7 grams of fat (3 saturated)
total carb 27g
sugar - 0
sugar alcohol - 25g
fiber - .6
this candy claims if you minus the fiber and the sugar alcohol that is only .7 net carbs. I forget (and dont have my book with me)...what the sugar alcohol rule is. Anyhow - would someone please confirm my hunch that even on phase two, this bar is a no no?
Thanks (i think)
Old 05-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #2  

I can across the same thing today. I found a sugarfree hard candy (containing sugar alcohol) that said on the package that the sugar alcohol and carbs cancel out. I think the candy is called "Nips." I'm also interested to find out what sugar alcohol is and is it okay.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:37 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

that's what I bought today. Ate two of the three pieces allowed in the serving and now am sick. Bleck.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:58 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Not a good idea! Didn't we gain weight by eating treats? Sugar alcohols can cause bigtime digestive upsets and are best avoided!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:29 AM   #5  

No Ruth. I don't really care for sweets but at certain times of the month. No, I gained weight by eating bags after bags of chips and the like. So I thought an occasional treat might be ok. It's not like I binged and even ate less than the serving size.

But digestive tract is right! I was up for hours in the bano and my stomach was turning after that. At least I don't have IBS anymore!!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:15 PM   #6  

this brand was called Ashers. I only had a bite so I didn't have any stomach issues (thank goodness cause I was on a road trip!)
....but ugh! That's def. the last thing I need.
I'm not a big candy bar person either...so I guess if I really feel like an indulgence, I'll make sure to eat it IN my bathroom!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:18 AM   #7  

lol Shasha!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 05:29 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Shasha, you are a riot!

I have poked around and asked a bunch of people, but have yet to figure out why sugar alcohols appear to give me a blood sugar drop! I get all faint and weak in the knees. Very dizzy. Not at all fun!

I look at those SF candy bars, but wow...they have a lot of sugar alcohols. I think it's better to just stick with a small bit of real bittersweet or dark chocolate along with some fruit. Much better!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:07 AM   #9  

All of the Atkins "candy" selections have high Sugar Alcohol numbers. I know this is a late posting but did we ever get an answer to this issue? Besides the digestive issue (which I haven't had) is it a yes or no for OP?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

It's a NO. It is best to avoid ALL highly processed foods and Atkins products sure meet that criteria. Check out the recipe section for snacks.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:37 AM   #11  

Default Aww Mannn

You guys sure know how to ruin my fun. I just ordered a bunch of Atkins foods that were half price on Amazon, I thought that if it was accepted on Atkins, it would be OK .

I bought cereal, breakfast bars, candy bars....Oh well, maybe as an occasional treat, it would be OK.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #12  

Height: 5'-2"

Carol, keeping them as an occasional treat is just fine.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Carol, Atkins and South Beach have only a few similarities. This is NOT a low carb plan!
Old 06-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Carol, I think the Atkins name is plastered on things that you can regularly get for less just to make you think they are better for you. I found that their SF syrup tastes the same (or maybe a bit worse) than the DaVinci or Torani syrups, but it comes in a much smaller bottle and is way more expensive. Don't fall into the hype! Not to mention the fact that the plans are actually very different in a lot of ways. Read the labels carefully and find SBD things that aren't hyped up. You'll be a lot happier in the end, 'kay? :
Old 06-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #15  
I graduated!

If you're on phase two you are allowed to have chocolate occationally... from the SBD website it is listed under "foods to enjoy"...

Chocolate (sparingly)
bittersweet
semisweet

Pudding, fat-free and sugar-free (1 serving per day)

and it also includes under "foods to enjoy" it lists "sweet treats (limit to 75 calories per day)
(now quoting from the SBD web site)
Candies, hard, sugar-free
Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
Cocoa powder, baking type
Fudgsicles, no sugar added
Gelatin, sugar-free
Gum, sugar-free
Popsicles, sugar-free

Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

it's true that some things will have a laxative effect. Which for some people is not such a bad thing. (at least that's what one of my doctors said!)

Moderation is important. On the other hand some of us are not able to stick to a diet that makes us give up too much. I credit my current weight loss to myself ...and my discovery of Keto ice cream bars!

Lovingly,
Closed Thread