3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > South Beach Diet > SBD Frequently Asked Questions

Tofu Shirataki Noodles??

Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
sophie

Height: 5'4"

If there is a Korean or Chinese store try there. I use to love them and one day opened one and the smell of the water just turned me off even though the expiry date was two months away. Haven't been back to them since.
take care
Sophie
Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #17
Pumpkins make me smile!

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sophie, just hold your nose, rinse them really well and they are OK. I must check out the stores in Ottawa"s Chinatown next time I need an urban fix.

“Change isn’t easy. But if you don’t change, you just stay the same, and where’s the fun in that?”
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Yeah, I also thought the smell was very off-putting, but they did taste well when I put them in the sauce. Hmmm. What does par-boil mean on the packaging?

4th of July Challenge

Don't let "Not Perfect" be the enemy of "Good."
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #19

S/C/G: 161/156/<130

Height: 5"4"

uscarchie: I think parboil means you just bring water to a boil, add noodles and turn the water down some so it's not at a rapid boil. It's like saying: "boil lightly".

I love these things. I haven't had them in ages, but they blend in with just about everything. Those and spaghetti squash are the mainstain of my fake pastas.
plusmince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #20

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Now I want to try these.. mmm
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #21
You'll be given love...

S/C/G: 328/283/140.00

Height: 5'5

I ordered these in bulk from Asianfoodgrocer.com and still have many, many packs sitting under my sink. Looove them.

Best thing I ever did. Try making Thai Basil fried ...shirataki with them. It works! XD
"I believe in you. I believe in your authenticity, your uniqueness, your intensity, your wildness. I love your restlessness and your hunger. You possess the energy that, if unleashed, could transform, inspire and heal the world." - Eve Ensler

Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #22

Height: 5'8"

Nebuchadnezzar, can you share a SB approved recipe for those Thai Basil shirataki noodles? They sound really good.

October Goal: 5 lbs.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #23

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

I have a local "health/natural foods" store that carries them in the refrigerated section, near the other tofu products. I have never seen them at regular grocery stores, even ones with decent natural foods sections. I also do not live near a Trader Joes or Whole Foods, so I can't speak for them. A bit of a disclaimer though, don't expect them to have the same taste or texture as normal pasta.

My January Goal: 131.0
Jan 2nd re-start: 135.1
Feb 1st (total Jan loss): 130.5 (4.6 lbs lost!!!)

My Long-Term Goal
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #24
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I got some at a local Asian market, in the refrigerated section. There were clear/glass noodles and tan/brown (like normal pasta) colored ones which were the tofu. The tofu tasted better than the clear/glass noodles, but both were good. They don't have much of their own flavor - they are good to add to thai dishes (I put them in thai coconut curry soups), or put on some teriyaki sauce and add to stir-fry.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
Phase 1'ing it for now...

S/C/G: 236/226/150

Height: 5'7"

I love shirataki noodles for stir fries...great phase 1 noodley treat! (check the carb values - perfectly acceptable).

What's even BETTER are kelp noodles! I have a new love for these raw noodles. They have plenty of great nutrients plus the entire bag is like 25 calories! Check them out!!
SeattleSouthBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #26
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I don't do SBD but here in NJ these are carried at Stop N Shop in the refrigerated vegetable section by the organic foods. I definitely recall one of the packages stating tofu, which threw me. I heard about these, never tried them, because I thought they were hard to get and had to be bought online. I didn't buy them when I found them, however, because of the "authentic aroma" - not sure how I'd get past that, but I'm happy to read that you folks like them - I just may have to purchase a bag.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
Phase 1'ing it for now...

S/C/G: 236/226/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
I don't do SBD but here in NJ these are carried at Stop N Shop in the refrigerated vegetable section by the organic foods. I definitely recall one of the packages stating tofu, which threw me. I heard about these, never tried them, because I thought they were hard to get and had to be bought online. I didn't buy them when I found them, however, because of the "authentic aroma" - not sure how I'd get past that, but I'm happy to read that you folks like them - I just may have to purchase a bag.
I definitely go for the tofu shirataki noodles. Highest protein...least carbs.

If you rinse them really well in cold water and then soak them in water with a little lemon juice, the smell goes away.

If I'm making an asian dish, after I rinse them I soak them in water with some soy sauce and sesame oil.

Good luck!
SeattleSouthBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #28

Height: 5'3"

I'm not on SB but I love the shirataki noodles. I just rinse them really well under warm-ish water in my large colander and then add them to whatever dish I am making at the time. They are an excellent sub for wheat noodles.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #29

I love the Shirataki noodles, most of my stores carry them and they are a super indulgent-feeling treat when I make pasta for my family...now my husband even likes them too instead of regular pasta...if you rinse and microwave or parboil them they are not stinky...they are a great invention!!!
momtotwinzplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #30

S/C/G: 229/222/160

Height: 5'9

When I first tried them, I really, REALLY hated them. Now they are always in my fridge, even when I'm not eating "on program". I make the hungry girl fettucine ALL the time. Really, really good!!
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.