This shouldn't be too hard to "Beachify."
I put the SBD friendly substitutions in Bold
, beside the original recipe.
* 2 slices (1/2-inch-thick) sourdough, multigrain or another hearty bread You could use sourdough or a 100% whole wheat bread, but I wouldn't use thick slices
* 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp Substitute turkey bacon, or, even better, Canadian bacon
* 4 slices Cheddar substitute a good lowfat sharp cheddar cheese
* 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored, sliced thin
* Roasted Red Onion Mayo, recipe follows
* Butter spray the bread slices with I Can't Believe It's Not Better Spray
Preheat a seasoned grill pan or griddle over medium heat. Assemble this sandwich just as you would a traditional grilled cheese sandwich: spread 1 slice of bread with some Red Onion Mayo, then top with 2 slices Cheddar, the bacon, the apple slices, then 2 more slices of Cheddar, finishing with another mayo-slathered slice of bread. Butter the outsides of the bread and transfer to the hot grill. Grill about 3 minutes per side, since this sandwich is so thick. Remove to a cutting board and cut the sandwich in half on the diagonal to serve.
Roasted Red Onion Mayo:
* 1 medium red onion, chopped
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* Salt and pepper
* 1 cup mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
On a small rimmed baking sheet, toss the red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the onion is very soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and let cool. Transfer to a food processor and buzz until finely chopped. Add the mayo and pulse until smooth and combined.