3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   SBD Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions-115/)
-   -   Crackers??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/204482-crackers.html)

Natasha1534 06-13-2010 01:36 AM

Crackers???

I think the herb and garlic laughing cow cheese is one of my new favorite snacks, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any acceptable whole wheat crackers that I can have w/ it. Even the "low fat whole wheat" crackers I found in the stores are loaded w/ carbs (some as much as 22g for 1 serving...lowest I found was 10g per serving). Is there any whole wheat cracker that you guys know of that would be SB acceptable or should I just scratch the thought of crackers an find something else to enjoy my laughing cow cheese with???

murphmitch 06-13-2010 12:07 PM

We don't count the carbs in stuff. I know Triscuits are allowed but remember serving size is 1 oz. and preferably whole grain with 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce and no trans fats. You might find more selections in the health food section of your grocery store. I don't like to use my grain serving with crackers. Somehow they just don't fill me up and sometimes can't stop at one servings.

grneyedmustang 06-14-2010 06:03 PM

Triscuits are "allowed", but they make me "bingey". A number of people have reported the same. And the flavored ones (my faves of course) have MSG in them, also known as Monosodium Glutamate.

Today I tried the Kashi version of Roasted Garlic triscuits (http://www.amazon.com/Kashi-Heart-Cr...6553054&sr=1-2). They are definitely lower in sodium, taste great, no MSG - and lastly, I didn't have the urge to "binge" with them. I ate one serving of them with my laughing cow and was done. :)

Natasha1534 06-14-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grneyedmustang (Post 3341118)
Triscuits are "allowed", but they make me "bingey". A number of people have reported the same. And the flavored ones (my faves of course) have MSG in them, also known as Monosodium Glutamate.

Today I tried the Kashi version of Roasted Garlic triscuits. They are definitely lower in sodium, taste great, no MSG - and lastly, I didn't have the urge to "binge" with them. I ate one serving of them with my laughing cow and was done. :)

Oooooh, thanks for the info...those sound delicious!!! :) One wedge of laughing cow cheese and 5 or 6 crackers is enough for a snack for me...and it's really satisfying. I will definitely have to try the Kashi crackers. Thanks again!!!

Hmmm...I had to remove your link b/c I don't have 25 posts yet and it's a no-no. :( Pretty smart way to cut down on spamming, though...I like that.

walking2lose 06-14-2010 07:27 PM

I am doing low carb - more Primal actually than Southbeach - but this is new to me, and as a carb lover I had to find a cracker substitute. I found an awesome one that is very simple to make:

1 cup almond meal
1 egg white
salt

You simply mix the meal and egg, sprinkle in some salt (i use kosher), and here is the key -- put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and another parchment paper on top (a MUST or it will all stick horribly) and roll very very thin with rolling pin. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 8-10, checking them. Take out when golden. Oh, I forgot - score the crackers with a knife when raw - then just break apart when cool.

My husband (type 1 diabetic) loves these - they are good! They look just like wheat thins.

I have experimented with a couple batchs - I sprinkle a little garlic powder on some (good), a bit of chopped fresh rosemary on some (also good). They are great too just with a bit of salt and nothing extra.

Natasha1534 06-14-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking2lose (Post 3341216)
I am doing low carb - more Primal actually than Southbeach - but this is new to me, and as a carb lover I had to find a cracker substitute. I found an awesome one that is very simple to make:

1 cup almond meal
1 egg white
salt

You simply mix the meal and egg, sprinkle in some salt (i use kosher), and here is the key -- put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and another parchment paper on top (a MUST or it will all stick horribly) and roll very very thin with rolling pin. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 8-10, checking them. Take out when golden. Oh, I forgot - score the crackers with a knife when raw - then just break apart when cool.

My husband (type 1 diabetic) loves these - they are good! They look just like wheat thins.

I have experimented with a couple batchs - I sprinkle a little garlic powder on some (good), a bit of chopped fresh rosemary on some (also good). They are great too just with a bit of salt and nothing extra.

Wow...that sounds really simple and good. Thanks!!!

Scarlett435 08-04-2011 06:51 PM

I will need to try this. Sounds yummy! Thanks.