Old 04-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/282/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Flour ????'s

I looked to see if this had been asked before and didn't find anything, but I could have missed it. So if it has sorry for asking again.
I have a bread machine and a great cookbook my husband bought me years ago for making bread. I have a few questions before I plan on making bread.
1. Are the following flours ok to use: Bread, Rye, and Buckwheat?
2. What is the max amount of carbs from sugar allowed?
3. Is there anything I need to know before I go shopping?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cyndi
cyndi0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I've been thinking about making my own bread for a while now. I used to all the time when I ate white bread and I still make my husband's. I'm almost afraid to make it though, that it will be too good. Please post any recipe you end up making!

The bread flour = no, since it's just high-gluten white flour. Unless it's a *whole wheat* bread flour. I think this might be a good resource re: bread flours. One of the comments mentions adding some vinegar to get a softer whole wheat bread...

The rye and buckwheat look good. I checked the list of Phase-2 approved breads, and it says:
- homemade breads using whole grains (buckwheat, whole wheat, spelt, whole oats, bran, rye)

Re: the sugars, I haven't tried making bread without the pinch of sugar that the yeast consumes - maybe it's possible, but that pinch in a whole loaf amounts to less than 1 g/serving, so I've never left it out.

That's all I know except (probably you already know this) use the yeast formulated for bread machines if you are using a bread machine. I have tried the regular kind and it came out dense.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/282/145

Height: 5'6"

I completely missed the section about home made bread. I have looked and looked for different things and never saw it. Thanks for pointing it out.
I will have to look for whole wheat bread flour. Thanks for your help.
cyndi0107 is offline   Reply With Quote