3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > South Beach Diet > SBD Frequently Asked Questions

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #46

Laurie, I went to London (not on SBD) but don't remember there being too much temptation. We went to high tea at the fancy hotel where Monet stayed, the Savoy, and the tea was PHENOMENAL, they had gorgeous ballroom dancers, in the most beautiful place I have ever seen. The background to the dancers was a nighttime scene complete with tinkling light stars. We were there for four hours because it was so nice. And we asked for the sandwiches, not the sweets, and they were very nice. Pumpernickel and smoked salmon, whole wheat bread cucumber and sprouts. I am sure that they wouldn't mind using SBD friendly bread for you. It is not cheap, but again, if I had to pick one place on earth as my heaven, that would be it. I cannot tell you how elegant, and relaxing it was. It is worth going to the tea, the atmosphere, the music, the chandeliers, and the restroom! (Worth the trip alone!)

Just a little thought from someone who has been there. And furthermore, congrats on having the will to stay on SBD. I just wouldn't want anyone to miss out on it.

And one more little tip- Go to St. Martin in the Field's Church. It is next to Trafalar Sq. and the Museum of Art. In the basement, you can do brass rubbings. There are really cool choices, and they make fabulous souvenirs very inexpensively. Plus, you can frame them and remember London forever. Don't forget to take a picture kissing in a red phone booth!

Last edited by kvixen; 08-20-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #47

Height: 5'-2"

Come on up and we'll get our Christmas stuff done early.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to take all the evil people and put them over there, then we wouldn't have to deal with them. And all of us good people would stay right here. The problem is that the line separating good and evil cuts right through the human heart." Alexander Solzenitzen
Old 08-20-2004, 12:44 PM   #48

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, Sarah... I missed your post.
Yes, sure! It might take me a bit of time, but I'll start today. If I forget, please remind me.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to take all the evil people and put them over there, then we wouldn't have to deal with them. And all of us good people would stay right here. The problem is that the line separating good and evil cuts right through the human heart." Alexander Solzenitzen
Old 08-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #49
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvixen
Don't forget to take a picture kissing in a red phone booth!
That's a great tip, Kvixen, as are the others...sounds like you had a super wonderful time...I TOTALLY appreciate the tips.

That sounds like a wonderful compromise...I had forgotten about sandwiches! I was so busy dreaming of scones! A friend has told me that she found scones in England are much less sweet than they are here.

There is so much to do in London alone...I think you could do just Great Britain for months and months...but DH wants to do the rest of Europe, so we only get three days for London and the vicinity. I'd like to do a day in Bath, so that leaves two days for London and/or a day trip elsewhere. It'll be wonderful! :

When did you go? Have you (or anyone else) been to Germany or Amsterdam? Those are our other two stops. DH is interested in Germany, especially the Rhine and Mozel valleys. If I can avoid spaetzle, it'll be a good trip.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #50
I can do this!

Ellis, how much fun would that be? : I would love that! I made little soaps for our wedding gift bags. It was a lot of fun. (how many more times can I use the word fun without dotting my "i"s with hearts? )
Old 08-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #51
Conquering with SBD

Laurie. I agree with you completely. In no way does this mean to desert the WOE on SBD and pig out for the holidays. Just to build in some extras that you may not eat regularly. I guess, the point I am making is that other people don't want to hear about the diet...and some even get offended when you say that you don't eat some particular food (I have experienced the wrinkled up nose, etc. on more than one occasion, so don't tell anyone anymore that I eat differently). I usually serve myself OP foods and ignore the things that are not OP. I do find difficulty with deserts when eating out. In my own home, I can control that, but not when eating out and having a confirmed sweet tooth, I usually can't resist the temptation. For those occasions, I prepare in advance for the possibility of being tempted, then I don't feel bad when I actually indulge.

For example, we had my FIL's birthday party last weekend. I ate completely OP for the entire day, with the exception of a piece of birthday cake. Since I knew that it was coming on the weekend, I was on Phase 1 the week prior, so the damage was minimal (actually non-existant). For the birthday meal (at a restaurant), I ordered grilled chicken (OP) - it came with vegetables, and choice of rice, potatoes or pasta (hmmmm). I asked for an extra portion of vegetables instead. I know, for me, that if the starch was on my plate, I would eat it, so I try not to order. However, I had the birthday cake without feeling any guilt because I knew that I had done the work beforehand to compensate. If I had completely blown the eating plan, I would not have been so keen to get back with it, either. I really do have a mental problem getting back at it afterwards, but it seems that my motivation beforehand and the work to get prepared will include doing phase 1 in advance. I guess, for me, it is just as much a mental preparation as a physical one.

HW 194
WW 186/125.75/120 May 2002
SBD 170/127.0/130 May - Nov. 2004
SBD 188/179/130 May 2012

May Goal: 10 pounds
Start Weight: 188
Present Weight: 179
Lost: 9 pounds
Remaining: 1 pounds
Old 08-20-2004, 01:48 PM   #52
I can do this!

Peggy, thanks for such a good explanation. I think it is great that you plan ahead and that you are aware of your limitations!

I guess that at this point I feel like a militant dieting person. Part of the reason (maybe 5%) that I became this size is that I feel the need to conform to the norms and please others...so I ate dinner with my husband, even though I had already had a huge binge an hour before. I ate dessert with others because they felt badly...if they had dessert and the "fat girl" didn't, what did that mean about them? Even now, when it's apparent that I have a lot to lose, still people constantly say to me, "Oh, one won't hurt". YES IT WILL! I am horrible at stopping at one, but I also know that even if I stopped, all those "just one"s add up!

I feel that as long as I am polite, considerate, and nice, that I have the right to ask for things prepared differently at restaurants. I have the right to bring a dish to pass that I can eat, or even just a meal for me if I know that nothing is OP. I have the right to say that I am on a diet. I even have the right to lie and say that I have diabetes if the people with me don't "get it" about my need to stay away from sugar.

I am mad that we feel the need to hide our dieting, not to bother others and not to ask for what we need. I am mad for you that you feel that way, too! If you ate the dessert just because you really wanted to, that's one thing. But to feel that you have to in order to keep from offending someone? That's horrible, Peggy! You deserve better treatment from those that love you! Would offering alcohol to someone you know is an alcoholic be a crime? YES! So would giving sweets to a confirmed sweet tooth (you and me), IMHO.

Those people with wrinkled up noses just need to deal! You know they also wrinkle up their noses about us being fat! There is no pleasing them, so I think we should do what we need to do to be healthy, do it in a considerate way, but do it! I hate putting myself out there, being noticed as the patron who has to ask several times for no bread, who asks questions about what is in everything, who asks for a special meal, but that's what I need to do to succeed on this diet. And I'm going to keep doing it, darn it!

I just pray that one day, we feel we can openly diet in a world that supports us, not constantly tries to get us to cheat so they can feel better about their own problems. You know? I know that's a generalization, and we all have supportive people in our lives, but there are lots of others who are not. It just makes me upset.

Oy, guess I started myself on a rant! Guess I should jump off this well-used !

to everyone!
Old 08-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #53
Conquering with SBD

Laurie, you are right. I fully agree with you...you have great discipline. However, I have also been reading a lot of posts where many of the people on SBD have tried to maintain discipline at special events - family visiting, out to the ball game, birthday parties, etc. - and then been tempted beyond the ability to resist, consequently, they feel bad about themselves afterwards, making it all the more diifficult to get back on the program. In my view, it is a self-deprecating cycle. And also a cycle in which I could find myself.

For me, anyway, I like to plan the event in advance - if the plan includes having the birthday cake, or whatever I off program food I might be exptecting served, then I will enjoy it, knowing that I worked hard the previous week to accommodate it into my diet and also have a clear vision of what I must do tomorrow as well.

I really do have to admit, though, that, most of the time the plan is to follow the program exactly. There are the events where I just want to have a little indulgence - since I started SBD in May, there have been 2 such occasions, mostly because I have planned in advance - thoroughly ejoyed - and gotten right back on track afterwards (all part of the plan).

I will be planning Thanksgiving and Christmas so that I don't feel sorry for myself nor feel deprived. I think that is the key, and it will include some indulgences (not stuffing myself), but it will also include some work to 'earn' the right to a minor indulgence or two.

HW 194
SBD 188/179/130 May 2012

Old 08-20-2004, 04:46 PM   #54
I can do this!

Peggy, you are so balanced.

I really appreciate that...given my "go to extremes" personality, you are so refreshing. <happy sigh>

I think your argument makes perfect sense. When I mentioned my plans for London to Meg and expressed my guilt about it (I'm of Jewish descent. We were BORN with guilt! ), she stopped me and said that it's not a cheat, it's a planned treat. As long as it is part of your plan, and you know how to handle it, it's okay. I'm not explaining that the way she did or as well as she did, but you get the idea. Your treats have been planned for, and you dealt with them so as to not harm your weight loss. That's awesome!

I also think it's amazing that you have been able to stick to plan so well in spite of basically doing Phase 1 all this time! Wow!!! Good for you!

Thanks, Peggy!
Old 08-20-2004, 06:22 PM   #55
Conquering with SBD

I always say that you need to shop for everything (including a diet) the way you shop for new clothes. If it doesn't fit, and there is no way to get it to fit, don't buy it.

SBD, is a perfect fit for me. When I was on WW, I had to exercise a great deal more personal discipline than I do on SBD. I found that, by the time I reached the weight that I am now, I was feeling hungry and deprived of 'good' food all the time. I was becoming so obsessed with staying OP to reach goal, it was consuming all my energy. I always had a book out to mark my points every time something went into my mouth and if I went over my points, I suffered a terrible bout of depression.

With this program, I am never hungry...love that feeling. SBD is also all the foods that I love to eat...AND, I don't have to keep track of anything. All I have to do, is know what is allowed, make sure that I am satisfied (I actually try to stop before I am full and add a snack later if I need it), change my use of fats, and know that if I want a nummy snack (cheese stick, sf jello, etc.), I can indulge in that. However, and I am finding out from other posts that this is a BIG however, I am not a natural carb eater. My preferences are protein and fat...I can do without the rest. So, where others suffer because they can't eat starches, I am not the least bit deprived. I do have a sweet tooth, but I replaced my sugar consumption with artificial sweeteners for the most part when I was on WW and SBD offers so many other alternatives to which I have become addicted, that I feel like I am in 7th heaven.

Sooo, I guess the bottom line is that I don't struggle with the temptations like others struggle. You are wise...if you know that even one will be a problem, stay away. But for those who find that they are feeling guilty each time they indulge in something that they 'think' is not OP, (and by the posts, there are many) then find a way to manage that and still stay with a healthy eating program. Once you get into that feeling guilty, deprived, depressed cycle, you can't stop and it is harder to get back OP.

HW 194
SBD 188/179/130 May 2012

Old 08-21-2004, 05:49 PM   #56
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Default I Wanna Make Soap

Yeah, how the heck do you make soap? Doing it for a wedding is a grand idea! (Maybe I could subtly tell some of my guests that they need a shower?) Just kidding, only a couple of them stink.

Making soap sounds fun! (dotting i's with hearts)
Old 11-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #57

Default Holiday Questions and Answers

I was just curious to see what people's plans are for Thanksgiving eating. I will be out of Phase I by that time, but I don't want to completely blow it. I know I will have one piece of Pumpkin Bread as that is my absolute favorite. I am considering doing Phase I for the week so that I can enjoy some of my Thanksgiving favorites. I am going to my mother's who is doing all the cooking for our extended family. Very little veggies, lots of starches!

What are your plans?

Started SBD - November 8, 2004

15 pounds lost on SBD!

"The key is to remember that you're doing this because you want to open doors to your life that may have been shut before, no matter what doors you choose to walk through, everyone's is different." - Erin J. Shea
Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #58

You might take a look in the recipe forum under the SBD Holiday favorites. There are different threads for different types of food.

I plan on altering some of my favorite recipes. I will make a Butterball turkey. I read in the paper that there is no fat of any type in their basting solution. I made a bread stuffing and have used whole wheat bread for years in that. I'll substitute Smart Balance for the butter in it and will make sure I get all the fat skimmed off the homemade broth that goes in it from cooking the giblets (I refrigerate it overnight so the fat congeals and can be totally removed). I will probably eat some dark meat even though I should only eat white but I'm not going to worry about a little.

I will serve lots of vegetables in a variety of healthy ways. I will NOT serve rolls since I enjoy them too much. I may do a ham but I will get one without a glaze.

I'm going to attempt to make some homemade cranberry sauce with Spenda but I will also serve the canned for my son. I'll make sure the sweet potatoes are fixed in an on plan way. I will serve some desserts that are off plan (but not eat them) but make sure there is at least one thing that I really love made in a way that I can eat on plan.

My doctor has already told me she is rechecking my cholesterol in January to make sure the holidays have not caused a problem so I intend to be careful in how I indulge. Most of the time I am so busy cooking that I have a hard time finding time to eat. We have no family here but we invite over lots of friends so I am usually cooking for at least 20 people.

Last edited by beachgal; 10-30-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: fix name change
Old 11-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #59

S/C/G: 167.2/167.2/140.0

Height: 5'8"

Barb-I admire you greatly!!!! That is one holiday I don't think I can ever give up. Thanksgiving is going to be at my sister's this year. Mom will still be roasting the turkey and will make the stuffing (and her world famous gravy). I make my grandmother's super-secret yam recipe because she can't do it anymore and I make a cranberry sauce (more like a chutney) that I created. I could check it out to see if it's SB-friendly if you use Splenda and send it to you....it's been a year since I made it so I don't remember everything that goes in it exactly. I've got to pull out my recipe card. I get rave reviews for it every year and half my family doesn't even like cranberry sauce. One of the things at Thanksgiving I look most forward to is the green bean casserole!!!! So simple, yet SO GOOD!

We've always had a rule in our house that there are no calories, fat and carbs on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Mom's on Atkins (BAD MAMA ) and is always worried about carbs but even she indulges (she's lost 25 pounds and looks great).

Extreme Fat Smash started 4/23/08
Old 11-12-2004, 09:01 AM   #60
I can do this!

I know, I'm probably the odd one here...but I see this as a lifestyle change. I want to see food as a fuel for my body, not as a comfort or as the main part of a celebration. This year, we'll actually be in Europe over Thanksgiving, so it's not an issue, but when it's up to me, I'm going to cook some veggies that I know I like and can have, make a little gravy with ww flour, and eat white meat turkey. I'll spend the rest of the holiday doing fun and healthy things with my family...because that's what the holiday really should be about, IMHO...spending time with family! I'm hoping I can institute a new tradition of taking a walk after dinner on Thanksgiving, and at Christmas too. I look forward at Christmas time to singing carols with my family, opening gifts, chatting, talking, reading "The Night Before Christmas", watching movies, and more. The food is really not a focus for me, and I don't want it to be. That I'm getting to that point makes me really happy. : I've been addicted to food for so long and I want to break free from that addiction and focus on things that don't make me unhappy and unhealthy.

I like what Barb is doing...modifying things you like...and even trying new ones! But keep it healthy and focus less on food and more on joy. :

BTW, has anyone tried the Green Bean Casserole recipe in the SBD cookbook?