Buffalo Hotdogs

• Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while but this is my first time posting. I think this is wonderful website with lots of worthwhile information. Within the next month, I plan to begin the Southbeach plan.

I noticed that Publix has buffalo hot dogs and I'm wondering if I can have these on Phase one.

Nutritional Highlights

Calories: 70, Calories from fat 45
    Protein: 7g
    Total Fat: 5g
    Saturated fat 1g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 21mg
    Sodium 160 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 0g
    Dietary fiber 0g
    Sugars 0g
    Fiber: 0g

Thanks!
    Sue
  • to The Beach and congratulations on leaving Lurkdom.
    They should be better than beef , chicken or pork sausages. Can you post the ingredients for us?
  • Thanks Ruth. It's nice to be out of the shadows!

Here's the list of ingredients

Buffulo meat (american bison)
    water
    salt
    spices
    turbinado sugar
    paprika
    beet powder
    garlic
    onion powder

These are expensive but hopefully they will freeze just as nicely as beef hotdogs do.
  • beaches!

Looking at the ingredients, I see that there is sugar and beet powder listed in the hot dogs. Neither of these is allowed on SBD, as they can induce cravings. However, the sugar amount must be very small if it's listed as containing 0 grams of sugar. I'd say give them a try and see how they affect you.
  • Cottage's answer is very wise!

I don't understand how they have 5g of fat but only 1g is saturated??? There aren't any fat containing ingredients other than the meat in the list, right?

Hebrew National makes a really nice reduced fat beef hotdog. Free from scary additives and stuff. Just another option...
  • Thanks for the wonderful, wise answers and the alternative. I love hot dogs but I guess I can do without or I'll try the Hebrew National.

THANKS!

And thank you for the warm welcome