My eggplant-hating husband loves this. The marinade turns the eggplant a really pretty reddish color, its just lightly spicy, and the bit of honey helps the eggplant caramelize. I sometimes top the slices with crumbled goat cheese or feta for a bit of protein and a touch of saltiness. Since you're just brushing the marinade onto the eggplant, there's not much oil and honey in each serving.
1 small to medium eggplant
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. chili powder
pinch of salt if desired if you have not salted the eggplant
1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
For serving; fresh chopped herbs (basil is nice), feta or chevre (optional)
1. Heat up your grill, and brush with oil if necessary.
2. Peel the eggplant, and slice it into rounds or the long way into ovals, about 1/3 inch thick. (If your eggplant is very fresh, no need to salt and drain. If you wish, lightly salt the slices, then use paper towels to wipe off the salt and any liquid after 20 minutes or so)
3. Mix the marinade in a small bowl. Brush the marinade on both sides of the eggplant slices. Let rest 15 minutes or so.
4. Grill the eggplant on both sides, until lightly charred and soft. Remove the slices from the grill, arrange on a plate and brush the remaining marinade on the slices.
5. Serve topped with feta or chevre, and some fresh choped herbs.