zucchini the wonder food

• It's about the time of the year when zucchini is everywhere, and dirt cheap. If you are a gardener or lucky enough to know one, you probably have zucchinis growing out of your ears. I happen to love them, especially in ratatouille, or "rat-tails", as we call it around my house.

I always knew they were a low-cal food, and very versatile. But I didn't know until recently that they're also relatively high in protein, compared to other non-legume vegetables. According to the USDA nutritional database, zucchini is about 24% calories from protein, 67% from carbs, and 8% from fat. Granted, there aren't many calories in a zucchini, so in absolute terms there isn't much protein. But for those of you trying to keep carbs relatively low, it's a great veg to keep in mind.

I recently posted my rat-tail recipe in a camping thread, so I won't post it again. And it's so embarrassingly easy, anyway, I almost hate to call it a recipe.

Three cheers for the mighty zuke!

Kim
  • But what if I can't find the post with your rat-tail recipe? That would be so sad I am a home gardener with an abundance of zucs...would love to hear any new twists for preparing them.
  • yes!
    Thanks, Kim, for that insight on zucchini. I have always thought of it as "filler"..like ice berg lettuce or celery, no nutritional value, but fiber, so better than say.........beets or sweet corn, which have bad raps as too many carbs.........but they are packed with nutritional value.

I think we just have to be creative....garlic, peppers, tomatoes, onions, all in season, can flavor up anything. Saute unpeeled zucchini slices in olive oil with onions and peppers and, of course, GARLIC, and then add to Basmatic Brown Rice, chicken, whatever, use salsa to "bind" it all together. Then, if you need more reasons to eat it, throw it under the broiler with some parmesan cheese on top.

I will feel good about it when someone gives me some...I don't even bother growing it.....I can trade tomatoes, peppers, etc. for the ubiquitous stuff!

Don't you LOVE summer????
  • I love zucchini.

A quick and yummy way to prepare it -

Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Thickly slice the zucchini. Lay it out on the sheet. Sprinkle with a little salt and garlic powder, spray lightly again. Put it under the broiler til it starts to get browned, flip it over for another minute or so.

Make lots of it - it goes fast.