Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #1  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Default Jicama Salad with Red Chile and Lime

We had this at supper club this month and it was quite good! I'd never had jicama before and I really enjoyed it. I think it's more of a salad than an appetizer.

Rustic Jicama Appetizer with Red Chile and Lime
Cooking Light, December 2001

1 medium jicama (about 1 pound)
3 navel oranges, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 small cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons dried ground guajillo chile or hot chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Peel and cut the jicama in half. Place halves cut sides down, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine jicama, oranges, cucumbers, radishes, and juice in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Add the ground chile and salt, and toss well. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Yield

8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Nutritional Information

CALORIES 53(5% from fat); FAT 0.3g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.1g); IRON 0.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 32mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.4g; SODIUM 153mg; PROTEIN 1.2g; FIBER 4.6g
JessieW is offline   Reply With Quote