Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Default Southwestern Lentil Salad

(my notes are below. Original recipe from allrecipes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Southwe....aspx?prop31=1

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups cooked lentils
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley

1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients and shake well. Pour over vegetables and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

**My notes:
**way to much oil for me! I halved it, and it was delicious. I'll probably cut back on it a little more to see what I can get away with. I'll probably also use olive oil next time
**I will probably increase the black beans next time, but then...I'm a black bean addict
**tomatoes might be good too!
**it's lacking a bit of something...maybe extra cilantro next time? lime juice?
**there really isn't much corn for the overall recipe, but you could easily drop it if you're keeping your corn intake down.
**the dressing is delicious. I'm trying to think of what else I could put it on!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks, Twynn! This looks yumm-y!

There was a great "Mexican Caesar Salad" at a restaurant in my old home town. It had romaine lettuce, queso fresco (feta cheese is a great replacement), pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds), and a yummy dressing. Bet this one would work well in a salad like that.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote