From the Kansas City Star. You can read more about it and see the original here
. My comments are in blue.
Flat Belly Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Mix oil and vinegar together. Toss salad with dressing and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow flavors to blend. The salad will keep in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I found 4 T was enough for the bunches of kale I had.)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed (I've read here about "massaging kale" so did this for about 3 minutes after the first salad attempt.)
- 1 head red cabbage, diced (can buy pre-cut for convenience) (Too much to fit in the bowl so I did about half this.)
- 1 bell pepper, green or red, cut into small chunks (I used yellow.)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (I'm not a fan so left it out.)
- 1 red onion, chopped into small dice (Too strong for me even with less; I left it out completely after the first time.)
You can add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard (this is a MUST in my opinion; adds flavor otherwise missing)
, and low-sodium seasonings including lemon-pepper, garlic powder or Mrs. Dash.
I got to thinking that maybe I had done even less oil/vinegar. I think maybe 2T oil to 1 each of vinegar and mustard. You'll have to judge based on how much it takes to coat and your personal taste.
Per serving, based on 4: 219 calories (81 percent from fat), 21 grams total fat (3 grams saturated), no cholesterol, 9 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams protein, 12 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber.