Old 06-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #1  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default Baked Feta and Walnut Salad

Found this salad recipe on the Mediterrasian web site. The baked feta was delicious - I like feta but I don't usually love it. I didn't have any zucchini though, so I didn't make it exactly as given. But it is sooooo goood!

Baked feta and walnut salad

It is described as: "A rustic Greek-style salad with baked feta cheese, walnuts, mixed salad leaves, thinly sliced fresh radish and zucchini, tossed with a tangy lemon garlic dressing." I would think olives or chickpeas would make a great addition. Also tuna - we had ours with pan-grilled tuna steaks. Or even tofu, marinated first in the salad dressing, then grilled... YUM!

This one's a keeper. Even salad-shy hubby agreed.

ETA: I will post the actual recipe below - I saw that others have done it (wasn't sure about copyright, but I credited the source above)

Ingredients
2 teaspoons plus 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I'm sure I didn't use that much)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 oz (180g) feta cheese—cut into small cubes
2/3 cup raw walnuts
1 clove garlic—crushed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Pinch of sea salt
6 cups mixed salad leaves of your choice—washed and shaken dry
2 radishes—very thinly sliced
1 zucchini—very thinly sliced (I didn't have this so I left it out)

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Mix 2 teaspoons of olive oil with the dried oregano and black pepper in a bowl and toss through the cubed feta cheese to coat well. Arrange the feta cubes on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.

Place the walnuts on a separate baking tray and bake for the final 3 minutes of cooking, then roughly chop.

Place the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a jar with a lid and shake to combine.

Place the salad leaves, radish slices and zucchini slices in a salad bowl and toss with half the dressing to coat. Scatter over the baked feta and walnuts and drizzle with the remaining dressing to serve.

Last edited by EmmaD; 06-12-2010 at 10:06 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This recipe sounds really good! Thanks for sharing it with us, Emma.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote