3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > The Maintenance Library > Rethinking Thin - a book discussion

Welcome To Our Book Discussion!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Meg

S/C/G: 257/135/maintaining

Height: 5' 4"

Default Welcome To Our Book Discussion!

Welcome to the Rethinking Thin book discussion group! We’re going to be talking about Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--and the Myths and Realities of Dieting. Written by New York Times science reporter Gina Kolata, it’s creating a lot of buzz around the Internet both for its reporting on the science of obesity and for the author’s conclusions about where the research leaves us.

The book’s organization doesn’t lend itself to an easy discussion format. It’s not one to go through chapter by chapter, the way we did with Thin For Life, because many of the interesting and controversial ideas span multiple chapters. So what I’ve come up with is a discussion of select passages that embody the major ideas of the book. I’ve gone through and highlighted what I think are the key concepts and we can discuss them one by one.

I’m going to start us off with a brief synopsis of the book so that anyone who hasn’t had a chance to read it will be able to join in our discussion.

One thing to keep in mind – it’s safe to say that we all have strong opinions about obesity and weight loss! And they may or may not conflict with those in the book. None of our thoughts and opinions are right or wrong and I wouldn’t want to see our discussion end up as an argument. I hope we all can recognize that we’re only beginning to discover the root causes of obesity and that there are many different avenues to prevent and deal with the consequences. Let's just explore new ideas together without turning it into a debate, OK?

I'll be back with the synopsis!
Size 22/size 4
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #2

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Hi Meg,

I am anxious to participate in this discussion. I read the book and found it to be VERY interesting.

I'll be here.

Lynn
Old 06-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm eager to take part in it as well. And to see what others among us think about it and the issues it raises.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Oh, what a ditz! I finally found where you have been hiding this discussion, Meg!

My "Happy" Weight:

****Charlotte****
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #5
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

I didn't get the book in time to read it....but I would like to join in....I have been told I'm very opinionated......
moxiesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 AM   #6
Meg

S/C/G: 257/135/maintaining

Height: 5' 4"

Please join in -- all opinions welcome! I summarized the book in another sticky thread for anyone who didn't have a chance to read it.

Hope to see ya!
Size 22/size 4
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #7

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Thank you, thank you!

I've been at 3FC over a year and I'was getting so bored with posting the same thing over and over again. This book discussion is just what I needed!

I bought the book last night and have read a chapter already . I'll join in on the other threads as I progress through the book.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #8

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

I checked out this book from teh labrary a few weeks ago (as an audio book). I am finding it to be soooo interesting. I'm a little over halfway through, adn I can't wait to go and read and possibly contribute to the discussions that you gals had last year about this!

tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.