Freezer Meals

• Hey everyone. I am buying a deep freeze that will arrive on Tuesday! So excited So I need a bunch of healthy meals that I can make in advance and then freeze for lunches and dinners later.
  • I used my George Foreman grill to grill chicken (used a variety of spices on each pair of breast halves). I then froze them. I pull a bag out the night before and then add it to my salad in the morning.

Another useful thing to do with any meat (pork, chicken, steaks) is to buy the meat in bulk, make up different marinades, and then freeze the marinade and meat in a freezer ziploc bag. When you take out the meat to defrost in the fridge, it gets thoroughly marinated and then you can just cook/grill/whatever it.

I make up meatloaves and then freeze them uncooked. I weigh the ingredients so I know how many calories total are in the meatloaf. I take one out the night before to defrost, and then bake it.

Before I started this life change in January, there were other things I did that I intend to continue, but to adjust as appropriate for lower calories.

I use my roaster to make pulled pork, which has fat, but we trim most of it away before pulling it. I freeze them in family meal size quantities, and also in individual servings for DH. I don't add any oil or anything--this is just the meat. BBQ sauce can be added when serving.

I make spaghetti sauce in bulk. I do mean bulk--I use my 20 quart roaster. I haven't figured out how I'm going to do that now and figure calories in it. The same is true of sloppy joes.

If you're someone who needs to make dinner fast, it can be helpful to cook (lean) ground beef and bag and freeze it. That way, you can pull one out of the freezer the night before, and then turn it into something--toppings for potatoes, taco meat, etc.
  • Lol, I have 2 freezers. They hold a variety of beef, chicken, deer and individual portions of a variety of foods, that are handy to grab, some for me, some for the hub.

The problem is, don't let things get lost in the deep dark depths.

I am currently on a mission to empty out the freezers, not buy stuff I don't need, and also make sure we eat all of the veggies I canned last summer.

That being said, a freezer is a great tool for snagging things on sale and saving them for later or cooking a big batch of a fave and portioning it out, so all you have to do is grab and go.
  • Those are some great tips! Thanks. I have been googleing like a mad fool trying to find a bunch of healthy freezer meals to prepare a couple times a month and be set for those I really don't want to cook days! My recipe list is getting longer
  • 1) I have a sweet tooth and thus won't keep certain things in the house. When I DO want something sweet I turn to homemade applesauce. Peal and core a bunch of apples, let sit in crockpot on low all night, mash with potato masher in the morning, add a little lemon juice, a lot of cinnamon, and some stevia if you want. Let cool a little. Place foil or waxed paper over muffin tins. spoon the chunky apple sauce into the little cups and then stick in freezer. Once frozen (I leave in for 6 hours) then pop them out and place in a big container so you can just pull one out and microwave for 30 seconds for a special treat (if you used waxed paper you will have to fill your sink with a little warm water and dip the bottom of the tins in it for 3-5 seconds to let them loose) (this method of freezing in muffin tins works great for soup too. You can pull out a couple for yourself, or a bunch if eating with someone)
    2) ground turkey with low salt taco seasoning (good to put on lettuce/tomato/carrot salad with a little salsa) and place in individual containers and freeze
    3) place chicken breasts in crockpot overnight on low. In morning drain any water/fluid left. Stir with spoon and they should fall apart on their own. Add some BBQ sauce (so it will stay moist and not freezer burn). place in individual containers and freeze for your very easy Shredded BBQ Chicken.
    4) I made a bunch of stuffed peppers (stuffed with seasoned ground turkey, brown rice, diced carrots/celery) and they tasted fine after freezing and re-heating
    5) I make a bunch of burgers out of ground turkey, grill and place a bunch in a gallon ziplock bag. You can easily grab one or two and microwave

I could keep going, but I'll stop here. Good luck! I love my deep freeze!!!
  • Buy some steamer bags (near ziplocs) and throw if veggies and any type of meat and spices you like. Then re-freeze them. These are my favorites.

- Tilapia and Green Beans with Rosemary and Garlic (approximately 6 minutes)
    - Salmon and Spinach with Olive Oil and Garlic (approximately 6 minutes)
    - Chicken Breast and Potatoes with Taco Seasoning (approximately 6 minutes)
    - Green Beans and Potatoes with Turkey Bacon (approximately 5 minutes)

You can basically make whatever you want. I love experimenting with these.
  • We eat a lot of ground turkey, so when I see it in sale I buy it up.
    I brown up 6lbs of ground turkey minimal spices. Then let cool and bag up 1lb per freezer bag. When I want to make spaghetti, tacos or chili I pull out a bag and add veggies/ spices and dinner is super quick.
    I also put some in smaller bags 4oz for just a quick lunch, for just myself.
    Lettuce cups with spicy ground turkey or a quick taco salad.
    You all have great ideas and tips.
  • Crab cakes. 2 dozen in my freezer right now.
  • I mix up turkey burgers and freeze them (raw) in individual servings. I portion my meat out into various serving sizes. Pulled pork and chicken is great.

Some crock pot meals you can prep entirely in a freezer bag then just dump it when you're ready. My fave is salsa chicken - chicken breasts, salsa, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, peppers, and chicken broth.

I also cook beans in the crock pot then freeze them in two cup portions, equivalent to a can.

Soups and stews are the easiest meals to make entirely and the portion and freeze. I'm jealous of your freezer