3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/recipes-218/)
-   -   Super Low-Cal Tzatziki Sauce! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/recipes/237820-super-low-cal-tzatziki-sauce.html)

devnet 07-11-2011 05:01 PM

Super Low-Cal Tzatziki Sauce!

Tzatziki has to be one of the most flavourful sauces out there, and I have begun to prefer making things myself when I can, so I know exactly what's in it. I tried my hand at Tzatziki sauce today. It turned out pretty well, I think, and only about 10 calories per tablespoon! So, on to the recipe.

This recipe yielded 112 grams, or about 4 ounces, of Tzatziki.

Ingredients

1 clove of garlic
1/2 tsp. of olive oil
80 g fat free plain yogurt (little less than 3 oz), at 40 cals per 100g serving
37g peeled, de-seeded cucumber (bit more than 1 oz)
1 tbsp dill (about what I used, but obviously, use the amount that tastes best to you)
Lemon juice to taste

1. Chop the garlic quite small. It depends on your tastes. I like my garlic in quite small pieces, til it's almost mush, lol. Some like bigger chunks. All up to you.
2. Peel your cucumber and remove the seeds. Cucumber is very watery, and because you're using zero fat yogurt, not removing the seeds can make the tzatziki too runny.
3. Chop the cucumber - again, quite small. You'll see that quite a lot of water is released when you do this, so take a piece of paper towel and press it into the pile of cucumber to soak up most of the water. Some cucumber will stick to the paper towel, of course, so just pick it off.
4. put cucumber and garlic into the container you'll be using. Add the olive oil and yogurt. Stir until smooth.
5. Add the dill and lemon juice, small amounts at a time, until it tastes right to you.

And you're done. I love using tzatziki as a veggie dip and in wraps, but I'm sure it's great for any number of things. Enjoy!

slytherinanachronism 07-11-2011 07:19 PM

I'll definitely be trying this, thanks for the recipe! :)

Michelle1210 07-11-2011 07:29 PM

I also like a bit of minced mint added to mine....good for you yum yum

RawrDinosaur 07-11-2011 07:42 PM

heh. weird. I just posted a recipe exactly like this in another thread.

I make this all the time with fage 2%. It's great stuff :)

fattymcfatty 07-11-2011 07:47 PM

add a little diced tomato...

devnet 07-12-2011 04:22 PM

Never had it with tomato. Something to try next batch, thanks!

tdiprincess 08-03-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawrDinosaur (Post 3931624)
heh. weird. I just posted a recipe exactly like this in another thread.

I make this all the time with fage 2%. It's great stuff :)

I was gonna say, I bet some greek yogurt would be quite lovely in this! YUM!!
I will be trying soon :D

luckymommy 08-03-2011 07:22 PM

This sounds fantastic! I"m going to make it tonight with Fage 0% greek style yogurt! Yum!!!! I may just put it as a spread on some low cal toasted bread. I can't wait!!!!! Thanks for posting! :)

luckymommy 08-04-2011 03:54 PM

Ok, I made this last night and had it for dinner. It was delish!

I used 0% Fage Greek yogurt. about 4 teaspoons of salsa. too much crushed garlic ;), and sliced cucumber. I put it on top of toasted bread and LOVED it!