3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/recipes-89/)
-   -   Sugar Busters July/August/September/October/November/December 2001 Recipe Boards (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/recipes/16629-sugar-busters-july-august-september-october-november-december-2001-recipe-boards.html)

Debelli 05-27-2002 04:45 PM

Sugar Busters July/August/September/October/November/December 2001 Recipe Boards

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS JULY/AUGUST/SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER/NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARDS

These boards have been compiled to make finding recipes easier (at least I hope it will).

If you find a bad link to any of the recipe boards, please take a moment to let me know so I can fix the problem. THANKS!

http://members.aol.com/eldemila/recipes.jpg

Debelli 05-27-2002 04:45 PM

JULY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

Posted by Debelli on 07-01-2001 09:07 AM:
YUMMYYYY!!!!!!

PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS

1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 c Bran
2 ts Baking Powder
1 tb Sugar
1 Egg
1/4 c Natural Peanut Butter (NSA)
1/2 c Lowfat Milk
1/3 c Peanuts, chopped (plain, dry roasted)

Combine the flour, bran, baking powder and sugar in a
bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and blend.

Spoon into oiled muffin tins or paper muffin cups.

Bake in a 375-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Makes 8

MY NOTES: I used 1TBL of AGAVE NECTAR in place of the TBL of sugar. You CAN use either one since using SUGAR will give you about 2 grams of sugar per serving, which makes it fall under the 3grams or less per serving rule. I used SKIM MILK instead of LF, and in using this, used the extra calcium milk to help boost the calcium of the muffins. I made my own PB and I used OAT BRAN. Since I used AGAVE, I lowered the temp of the oven to 350 degrees and baked them for 15 minutes, which was more than enough. I used paper liners, if you don't let them cool completely, they will stick to the paper a bit. This is NOT a sweet muffin, (though sweet enough for me), if you want it sweeter, try adding a bit more sweetener to it, if so desired.

My calculations came out to be that each muffins is approx 145 calories, 8 grams of fat, 15 carbs, 6 1/2 protein, 2 fiber. I tend to usually do these calculations a bit on the high side.

They were extremely EASY to make, clean up's a breeze and best of all, they were delicious! If I can make them, you know, anyone can!!!

HOPE YOU ENJOY THEM!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by ralynne99 on 07-02-2001 11:51 AM:

SUMMER SQUASH DELICIOUS

3 small yellow squash, sliced
3 small zuchinni squash, sliced
2 onions, sliced
handful mushrooms(optional)
1 t. butter or olive oil
1/2 t. lawry salt
1/2 c. shredded cheese(your choice)

Melt butter, place cut up squash,onions,mushrooms in pan, sprinkle lawry salt and cook until tender. Top with cheese and serve with your meal. This is my favorite side in the summer.

FRIED CABBAGE

1 head cabbage,chopped
2-3 onions,chopped
1 tbs butter or olive oil
1/2 t. lawry salt

Melt butter and add ingredients, sprinkle with lawry's and cook until tender.

Great summer dish to serve with dinner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by sef on 07-07-2001 11:23 AM:

You can make this as Hot as you like! Although I like HOT I prefer the medium salsa for this dish. I am giving my
family size recipe w/planned leftovers.

MEXICAN CHICKEN

Preheat oven to 450'

6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 Cans Seasoned Black Beans
1 1/2 c. Medium Chunksy Salsa
1 c. + Cheddar Cheese more or less according to cheese taste.

Spray a roasting pan w/ Pam or olive oil. Arrange breasts in pan. top w/ Salsa, then beans. Cover pan w/ aluminum foil. Bake 18 minutes or until done. Remove from oven. Remove foil and sprinkle cheese on top, lightly lay foil over top and let sit a few minutes for cheese to melt. Serve over brown rice.

If desired you can put each breast on a square of aluminum foil, put on salsa and beans. Seal each foil packet and place on grill for 11 to 13 minutes. Add cheese in same manner.

This is so good and soooooooooo easy!

Posted by Debelli on 07-07-2001 03:00 PM:

BLUEBERRY BUCKLE

This is delicious!

1/4 cup butter
1/4 agave nectar
1 egg
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup buttermilk or yogurt
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

TOPPING

1/4 cup butter
2 Tablespoons agave
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and 8-inch square baking dish.

In a medium-sized bowl cream together butter & agave, and egg & mix. Add flour, baking soda, and buttermilk or yogurt. Mix well. Spread in a prepared baking dish and cover with blueberries.

To make the topping: In a small bowl combine butter, honey, flour and cinnamon until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread over blueberries and bake for about 40 minutes. Cut into squares or serve with a spoon.

NOTES: My topping didn't resembe coarse crumbs as I mixed it with a mixer rather than cut it in. I just distributed it all over the top by pushing bits off the spoon-I think the end result is the same.

BLUEBERRY SUPREME

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup agave nectar
3 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/2 cups yogurt
1/4 cup pecans

Place egg yolks, dry milk, water and agave nectar in a medium-size saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat.

Stir in 3 cups blueberries, fold in yogurt, and transger to individual serving dishes. Top with pecans and remaining blueberies. Chill for 2 to 3 hours.

Makes 6 servings.

Posted by Frog Lover on 07-08-2001 09:22 AM:
Lemon Blueberry Cheese Cake

Lemon Blueberry Cheese Cake
Recipe By ottie
Categoriesesserts
16 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 package s/f lemon gelatin
1/4 cup boiling water
3 packets sweetener
2 tablespoons dried blueberries -- or 1/4 cup fresh/frozen -unsweetened
1 tablespoon lemon extract -- if stronger lemon flavor is desired
Mix gelatin w/boiling water to dissolve and let cool while you beat the
remaining ingredients except the blueberries. Beat until smooth, then beat
in the gelatin and water. Fold in the blueberries. Refrigerate at least 2
hours before serving in decorative bowls or glasses. Garnish with 1-2
more berries and a thin lemon slice if desired.

Posted by Frog Lover on 07-08-2001 09:24 AM:
Low GI Cheesecake

Low GI Cheesecake - A tried and true recipe!

This recipe uses a crust made from Special K cereal.

Cheesecake:
1 Special K pie crust
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Splenda
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cream cheese until soft and fluffy. Blend in Splenda and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each one until mixture is smooth. Pour into crust and bake for about 50 minutes until set. Allow to cool and refrigerate several hours.

Pie Crust:
3 C Special K cereal
½ tsp cinnamon
2 TBSPs Splenda
4 TBSPs melted butter

Place cereal in a bag a crush the cereal with a rolling pin or potato masher. Turn and shake the bag frequently to make a consistent crumb. Pour crumbs into a medium sized bowl and stir in cinnamon and Splenda. Pour in melted butter and stir with a fork until evenly blended. Press the crumb mixture into the pie dish. It will not stick as well as traditional graham cracker crusts, just keep gently pressing. Rubbing a little butter to the inside of the pie pan will help. It will firm up after baking. Bake 5-7 minutes until set. Cool slightly and fill as desired.

I top mine with a diluted Smucker’s 100% Simply Fruit and smooth it on as a glaze. Then I top it with a berry (raspberry, strawberry, etc.) that goes with the spread and suits my fancy!
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Posted by Frog Lover on 07-08-2001 09:26 AM:
Zucchini Pie

Zucchini Pie - YUMMMMY!

4 c. thinly sliced zucchini
1 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. grated cheese - any type (Swiss or Mozzerella are great!)
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard.

Saute zucchini and onion in oil in pan with oven-proof handle. Stir in seasonings. In mixing bowl, stir together eggs, cheese and Dijon mustard. Combine egg mixture with vegetable mixture, being sure everything is evenly mixed.

Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 4 main dish servings.

Posted by Rosalie on 07-09-2001 03:40 PM:

Spicy Lasagna

12 sheets wholewheat lasagna
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 cups tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
l large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups 5% m.f. ricotta cheese
2 cups 2% m.f. cottage cheese
1 cup cooked black beans
1 cup steamed, drained spinach
1 cup unsweetened salsa
1 1/2 cup grated hard cheese

Cook lasagna in boiling water 12 minutes, and drain.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, over low heat, heat olive oil, add onion and cook until tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, garlic and seasonings. Stir well, partially cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a bowl, combine ricotta and cottage cheese. Add beans and spinach and mix.

Place three strips of lasagna in baking dish, cover well with tomato sauce and top with ricotta mixture. Repeat for a second layer.

Cover third layer of lasagna with salsa and tomato sauce, making sure pasta is well covered. Top with rest of ricotta mixture. Place a final layer of lasagna on top, cover well with tomato sauce, sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake 35 minutes.

Serves 4-6.

Recipe from "Recipes and Menus" by Michel Montignac.

Posted by Rosalie on 07-12-2001 09:56 PM:

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 cup Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry flour
1 egg
1cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
1 tbs splenda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together all dry ingredients. Beat egg, add buttermilk then add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add melted butter. Cook on griddle or in small amount of oil in frying pan.

When I made these I forgot to add the butter and they tasted just fine.

Posted by Debelli on 07-14-2001 12:19 PM:

SPELT BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

2 cups SPELT flour
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease baking sheet. Combine all
dry ingredients and add buttermilk until just blended. Drop batter by heaping spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Yield: 12 biscuits.

Posted by sef on 07-17-2001 05:24 PM:

CREOLE SHRIMP

2 Green Bell Peppers
2 Onions
2 Stalks Celery
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes (I used 1 regular & 1 Rotel Extra Hot)
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil
Granulated Garlic (or 3 0r 4 garlic toes minced)
2# Large Raw Shrimp, cleaned.

Coarsely chop the pepper and celery and saute in olive oil in a large kettle. Then add the chopped onion (pepper and celery take longer to cook than onion, thus the headstart). Saute until onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes, stir and simmer covered
for 20 minutes or so. Add the shrimp, stir to mix and let cook until shrimp is pink.

Serve over brown rice.

I used Rotel's Extra Hot Chile Tomatoes. But they have cooler
versions, like tomatoes and jalepenos. Be warned the Extra Hot was hot even with the can of regular tomatoes mixed with it.

If you can't get chili or mexican style canned tomatoes just add some spices like chili powder, cumin etc. Use imagination.

You could make this using just regular tomatoes and no creole seasoning if you like things a little blander

USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!!!!!

I AM NOT A SCIENTIFIC COOK!!!!!

Posted by VAbutterfly on 07-19-2001 03:12 PM:
Oatmeal Pancakes

I took Betty Crocker receipe and made it SB legal I think.

1 egg
1/2 c Whole Grain Wheat pastry flour (I used Arrowhead Mills)
1/2 c oatmeal (I used Quaker Oats quick)
3/4 c milk (I used 2%)
1 tbsp Splenda
2 tbsp veg oil
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla (my addition)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Margarine, butter or shortning

Beat egg with hand beater in medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients except margarine until smooth. I spritzed the griddle with "I can't believe it's butter" spray. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn and cook both sides until golden brown.

Top with your favorite Sb topping. I used Polaner All fruit Strawberry. Enjoy

Posted by Debelli on 07-19-2001 06:47 PM:

I've had this in my files forever, don't know where I got it so can't give the credit where it is due.

BARBEQUE SAUCE

Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
1/3 Cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. agave nectar OR 2-4 Tbsp. granular Splenda or other sugar substitute (adjust to suit your own taste)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco or Frank’s)
1/4 tsp celery seed
1 Tbs. lemon juice

Cook onion and garlic in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stir well, and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste--this recipe is not overly hot and spicy.

You can make it and store it, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Posted by Debelli on 07-19-2001 07:33 PM:

PENNE WITH SPINACH AND FETA

1 8-oz. package whole wheat penne (or other whole grain pasta)
1 14.5-oz. can SF diced tomatoes (suggestion: Redpack Ready-cut tomatoes with garlic and basil)
1 6-oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach
1 clove garlic, minced
½ t. Mrs. Dash
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 6-oz. package FF feta cheese with tomato and basil

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; and set aside.
In a large pot heat tomatoes, spinach, garlic, Mrs. Dash and S&P; cook and stir 10 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and mixture is thoroughly heated. Add pasta and cheese, cook 1 minute or until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through.

Posted by Melf on 07-24-2001 02:42 PM:
Zucchini pizza -

really good!!! Whoever suggested trying zucchini for a pizza crust, I could just hug you! I made this last night and my husband and I loved it. It does not take that long to make. Really tasted like pizza!

Zucchini Pizza - about 30 min prep time, including baking. Bake at 400. 4 servings, unless you're my DH, then 2 servings :-)

crust:
1 large zucchini grated (about 3 cups) drain and really squeeze out extra juice, I got at least 1/4 cup out)
1 egg
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mozzerella cheese salt and pepper

1/2 can Cantadina pizza sauce toppings: (I used spaghetti sauce)
1 pound pork sausage
1/2 green pepper chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 cup sliced raw mushrooms (or more)
cheddar and mozzerella cheese (at least 1/2 cup each)
pepperoni pizza seasonings in a jar (I used italian seasoning)

Brown sausage. Drain grease, if there is any. Add onion and green pepper, cook until slightly soft.
Add mushrooms to brown them. Add salt, pepper, a little pizza seasonings. (While sausage is browning...)

Mix zucchini, egg, cheeses, salt and pepper. Press into a greased 12" glass pie plate (I spray with Olive Oil). Bake 10 min at 400 degrees. It puffs up.

Spread sauce on top, covering edges too. Sprinkle a little pizza seasoning on sauce.
Add sausage/veggie mixture on top. Add cheeses.

Bake another 10 minutes at 400 or until cheese gets a little brown.
Take out of oven and let it rest 5 minutes to set up cheese.

Carb count from Netzer's book: Zucchini - 12 carbs egg - .6 1/2 can of sauce - 14 carbs 1/2 green pepper - 2.5 carbs 1/2 onion (1/4 cup) - 3.5 carbs 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms - 1.6 carbs 1 cup cheddar cheese - 4 carbs 1 cup mozzerlla cheese - 4 carbs None for the meat.
Whole pie has: about 42.2 I could only eat about 1/4 of it, so that would be 10.6 carbs.

Posted by SolShine on 07-26-2001 01:51 PM:
FRENCH ONION SOUP

FRENCH ONION SOUP

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup onion sliced (I slice then cut the slices in half) (Vidalia Onions are the best)
2-3 cups beef bouillon (I use granules and add more than the jar calls for)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I add more sometimes)
1 teaspoon Sherry (optional)
pepper to taste
1 piece toast per serving
1 oz. Cheeze per serving (shredded or sliced very thin)

Slice the onion and saute on medium in the butter until desired tenderness. (I like mine almost soft)

Add the bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and sherry to pan and heat until warm.

In a bowl add a piece of toast and top with the cheese. Then add soup mixture to the bowl (it will melt the cheese).

Enjoy!

Posted by Debelli on 07-27-2001 09:02 AM:

WALNUT CAROB COOKIES

1/4 cup + 1TBL carob powder *see note below
1/2 cup WW pastry flour
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
approx. 1/2 cup coarsley chopped walnuts (I used 2.5 ounces)

Combine all the ingredients except walnuts in a large bowl and mix well. Then stir in the walnuts. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, (I guess you could use non-stick cooking spray instead). Drop the cookie mixture by the tablespoonful onto the cookie sheets. Bake at 300 in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Cool. Makes about 18 cookies-store in a tightly covered container.

*NOTE: If you don't like/have carob, you can use Dutch processed cocoa powder, or try a combination in any amount of carob and cocoa. Also, you can add a bit more walnuts if you so desire, the original recipe I had used 1 1/2 cups, which I thought was just too much, so I reduced the amount.

Debelli 05-27-2002 04:47 PM

AUGUST 2001 RECIPE BOARD

Posted by Fillise on 08-02-2001 11:15 AM:
OP Blueberry Muffins

1 slice SGWW bread toasted and made into bread crumbs.
1/3 cup instant NF dry milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tsp Splenda (or equivalent sweetner)
1 Tbl water
1 egg separated
1/2 cup blueberries

Mix first 6 ingredients (except egg white). Add stiffly beaten egg white. Mix in blueberries and spoon into non-stick muffin pan. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Makes three muffins.

I also crumb lots of bread at once (in fact this is what I do with the remainder of a loaf I can't finish before it goes bad). 1 slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup (packed) of crumbs.

Susan

Posted by Rhroo on 08-02-2001 11:49 PM:

The magazine says this is a brunch item but whatever!!

SUMMER VEGETABLE STRATA

2 TEA EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
2 medium zucchini diced
1 med red or green bell pepper diced
1 med. onion chopped
pinch salt
2 med tomatoes chopped
2 garlic cloved minced
8 ounces crust trimmed day old whole wheat bread cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup grated reduced fat Swiss cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 (12 oz) can evaporated fat free milk
4 eggs
2 egg whites
2 table. dijon mustard

1. Heat a larege nonstick skillet over med high heat. Swirl in the oil and add zucchini pepper onion and salt. Saute until the pepper is tender about 10 min. stir in the tomatoes and garlic: cook until the tomatoes are soft about 3 min. set aside to cool
2. spray a 13X9 inch baking pan. Spread the bread cubes over the bottom then top with the zucchini mixture. sprinkle the swiss and parmesan cheese.
3. In a med. bowl whisk together the milk eggs egg whites and mustared: pour this mixture over the bread and zucchini in the pan, making sure all the bread is soaked. Cover with foil and refridgerate overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 Bake the strata covered until it begins to bubble about 50 minutes uncover and bake until slightly browned along the edges about 10 more min.

per serving about 1/8. 227 cal. fat 3g carb 3g fiber 17g

you can use mushrooms for some of the zucchini or fennel for the pepper. You can also put a 10oz box of thawed frozen spinach for the tomatoes.

sounded good to me!!!!

Posted by Debelli on 08-06-2001 06:49 PM:

DEB'S HUMMUS

1 15oz can chick peas (I prefer HANOVER BRAND)
1 sm-med. clove garlic*
juice of 1 small lemon, or 1/2 of a large-approx. 1 1/2-2 tbl*
1/2 tsp salt*
1/3 cup tahini

Drain the chick peas but reserve about a 1/3 cup of the liquid from the can. Put the chick peas, garlic, salt, lemon juice and tahini in your food processor and turn it on. After about 1 minute add 1 tbl of the reserved chick pea liquid and whiz it again for about 30 seconds. Check to see if it's the desired thickness for you-this is a personal preference. Most likely, you'll need another tablespoon, or so.

*NOTE: You can always add a little more garlic, lemon juice or salt if you so desire-again, taste is a personal preference.

Posted by Fillise on 08-09-2001 11:12 PM:
The Cheesecake recipe

Ok--here is the yummy cheesecake recipe-- This is adapted from The Southern Living Cookbook.

Crust:

1 cup crushed Triscuit
3 tbl Splenda (or other sweetner = to 3 tbl sugar)
3 tbl butter.

Mix melted butter with crushed triscuits and sweetner. Spread onto the bottom of a springform pan and bake at 325 for 10 minutes

3 (8-oz) packages of cream cheese (low fat works just fine--don't use the no fat), softened
1 cup Splenda (or sweetner = to 1 cup sugar)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 (16-oz) carton sour cream
3 tbl Splenda (or other sweetner)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese at high speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the 1 cup of sweetner, blending well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added. Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 325 for 35 minutes, or until cheesecake is set.

Beat sour cream at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 3 tbl sweetner and remaining vanilla and beat for one more minute. Spread over cheesecake. Bake at 500 for 5 minutes.

Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Chill at least 8 hours (I chilled mine for three and it was fine).

I also added the juice of one lime and some chopped lime zest to the cream cheese mixture to give it a lime flavor--it was yummy!

Susan

Posted by Debelli on 08-11-2001 07:25 PM:

I honestly thought I had posted a recipe for pita bread in the past, but couldn't find it on the old boards So, here you go...

WHOLE WHEAT PITA BREAD

1TBL yeast
1 cup plus 2 TBL warm water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp honey (or agave)
1 TBL oil
2 1/2 to 3 cups WW flour

In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over 2 tablesoons warm water and let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve. When bubbly, add remianing 1 cup water, salt, honey, oil and about 2 cups of flour, or enough so you can begin kneading.

On a floured surface, work in remaining flour as necesary to make a smooth dough, kneading for 5-10 minutes. Place dough in a oiled bowl, cover and set to rise in a warm place for 2-10 hours.

About 40 minues before baking, punch down dough and divide into 8 balls. Roll each into a 5-6 inch rounds, 1/8" thick. Place on a baking sheet sprinkled with flour, cover with a cloth, and set in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425F when bread is almost risen.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until puffed. Remove and wrap in a cloth to steam slightly and keep soft. Serve hot or at room temperature. For storage of more than a day, freeze.

Posted by Nancemeister on 08-12-2001 11:04 AM:
Tabbouleh Parsley Salad

1/2 c. bulgur (lebanese crushed wheat)
8-10 spring onions
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. mixed spices such as Allspice
5c. finely chopped parsley
1/4c. finely chopped mint or 2 tsp. dried
3 large tomatoes finely chopped
approximately 1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil

Wash bulgur and drain. Place in bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour. Squeeze excess water. Trim spring onion and leave 8 inches of green. Finely chop and mix bulgur with salt, pepper, and spices. Finely chop the green of the onion, and place with parsley, mint,
and tomatoes on top of bulgur mixture. Set until ready to serve then add lemon juice and olive oil and toss well. Adjust salt and lemon to taste.

Variation: add 1 small cucumber

Posted by Nancemeister on 08-12-2001 11:11 AM:
Broccoli Soup

2 scallions, or one sm. yellow onion chopped
2c. chopped broccoli
3 Tbs. butter
3 Tbs. WW flour
2c. hot chicken broth
2c. hot milk

Sautee onions with brocolli in butter until the onion turns translucent 5-7 minutes. Lower heat and stir in flour. Beating constantly add the broth and milk and cook stirring until bubbly 1-2 minutes.

Puree in a blender or a food processor 2 cups at a time. Add salt, pepper to taste. Return to saucepan; reheat to just below boiling.

Posted by Rosalie on 08-16-2001 11:01 AM:

Zucchini Omelet

3 zucchini, 6-7 inches long, grated
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup green onions (finely chopped)
4 eggs
1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped)
3 Tbsp. flour
Oil for frying

Squeeze all the water out of zucchini using both hands, place in mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except oil, and mix (do not beat).

Heat oil for frying. Using a large tablespoon, drop mixture into hot oil getting as many patties as possible in the frying pan at a time. Turn over when one side is golden brown and cook the other side. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.

These mini omelets can be served with pickles inside Pita Bread or may be made larger and served with bacon or ham for lunch.

Recipe from “A Taste Of Lebanon” by Mary Salloum.

PS.
These also taste good with 1/2 cup cheese added to mixture OR spread with fruit spread like a mini-pancake.

Marie.

Posted by Debelli on 08-16-2001 01:50 PM:

Haven't tried this one yet, but sure sounds good!!

CAROB CHIP COOKIES

Yield: 3 Dz

1 1/4 c Whole wheat flour
1/4 ts Salt
1/2 ts Baking soda
1/3 c Butter or oil
1/3 c Agave nectar
1 Egg, beaten
1 ts Vanilla extract
1 c Unsweetened Carob chips* (you can use less)
1 c Chopped nuts (you can use less)

Preparation : Sift the dry ingredients together. Cream the butter, honey, egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Add the carob chips and nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 3 dozen. If they spread out too much when baking refrigerate the dough before placing on cookie sheet.

*you can use some chopped up SB LEGAL chocolates if you want

Posted by catlover on 08-30-2001 11:01 AM:

Chili Rellenos. (from a religious tv program)
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 sm can chopped green chilis drained (I use 2 cans)
1 can enchilada sauce (gebhartds brand has no cornstarch or
sugars)
1 C cooked brown rice
shredded monteray jack and cheddar cheese.
preheat oven 350

spread beans in an 8X8 pan
spread green chilis on top of beans
pour enchilada sauce on top of green chilis
sprinkle cheese over top of sauce
add rice on top and cook until bubbly.

Posted by Melf on 08-31-2001 05:33 PM:
Meditteranean Ricotta, Feta, & Spinach Pie

A creamy cheese & spinach pie that is healthy & delish.

1 bag (10 oz) fresh spinach, cooked per package directions
1 TBSP dried bread crumbs (use WWSF toast)
1 c. reduced-fat ricotta cheese
3 lg eggs
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
3/4 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of grated fresh nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cool the spinach, then lightly squeeze out the excess liquid. Coarsely chop.
3. Lightly coat a 9" pie dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs to coat.
4. With a wooden spoon, beat together all the remaining ingredients. Stir in the spinach.
5. Pour the filling into the prepared dish, smooth the top, and bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is lightly puffed & rounded. (The center mat be slightly lower.) Let the pie stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges.

Per serving: 74 cal, 5 g pro, 4 g carb, 4 g fat, 88 mg chol, 1 g fiber, 304 mg sodium

Debelli 05-27-2002 04:47 PM

SEPTEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD

Posted by Debelli on 09-02-2001 05:00 PM:

If you don't need a really stiff topping, this recipe works fine. Also, if you wish, you can set the topping in the freezer where it will stiffen further and keep it's shape. If this recipe isn't stiff enough for you, beat 2 egg whites in the chilled bowl until almost firm, then add teh water and milk powder, and you'll get a stiffer topping.

WHIPPED TOPPING

1 cup instant milk powder
1 cup ice water
2 tsp vanilla extract
sweetener to taste (optional)

Chill a mixing bowl and beaters well, 15 to 30 minutes.

Into the chilled bowl, measure the milk powder and ice water. Beat, stirring occasionally, until half stif.

Beat in the vanilla extract, then taste. If you wish, add sweetener to taste and beat until stiff. Total beating time will be about 20 minutes.

Posted by Debelli on 09-02-2001 05:17 PM:

I haven't tried this recipe YET, but it sounds pretty darned easy!!!

NUTS AND WHEAT COOKIES

1 cup filberts (hazelnuts) you can sub. with Brazil Nuts if desired
1 cup WW Pastry Flour
1/2 cup agave
1/4 cup unsaturated vegetable oil

In your blender or food processor, grind the nuts to a flour, then dump them into a large mixing bowl.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.

Knead gently, working the dugh into a cohesive ball. (This is NOT like kneading bread: knead only to get everything to stick together so you can cut it easily.)

Form into a sausage shape, about 2 inches in diameter and 7 or 8 inches long. (This "sausage" can be stored in your refrigerator for a day or so, if you don't have time to bake it now.)

Cut dough into 1/2-inch slices. Then cut each slice in half. Flatten eah piece to a 1/4-inch thickness and set on a large, greased baking sheet. THese cokies will not spread, so there's no need to leave room between them.

Do not preheat oven. Starting in a cold oven, bake at medium temperature (about 325 degrees) for 20-25 minuttes, or until the bottoms begin to brown. Don't allow the bottom of the cookies to scorch. Watch them well.

Makes about 30 cookies.

Posted by Debelli on 09-06-2001 09:12 AM:

Had this one in my filing cabinet, but don't know where I got it from.

BROWN RICE PILAF

2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
1 c. brown basmati rice
2 c. boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each oregano and basil

Sauté garlic and onion in oil until transparent. Add the uncooked rice to the pan, and stir fry for a few minutes until the rice releases a nutty aroma. Don't open the cover while cooking! That's the secret for great rice. A rice cooker is also a great invention. Yields 3 cups, 1/2 c. = 1 serving.

Posted by Debelli on 09-06-2001 06:08 PM:

HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE

1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Into a bowl, well combine honey, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and Worcestershire sauce.

Makes 1 cup

Posted by Fillise on 09-17-2001 10:09 PM:
Crustless Crab Quiche

I found this in a church cookbook--it requires no adapting!

1 can (6oz) crabmeat, drained
4 oz cheddar (or swiss) cheese, shredded
1/2 c. chopped scallions
4 eggs
1 c. evaporated non-fat milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
dash paprika
nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400

Spray 8-inch glass pie pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

In a medium bowl combine crabmeat, cheese, and scallions. Using back of spoon press over bottom and up side of sprayed pie plate.

Using a wire whisk, in a medium bowl beat together eggs, milk, salt, mustard, and pepper; pour over crabmeat mixture.

Sprinkle with paprika and bake until set--about 30 minutes. Let stand five minutes before serving.

You can substitute shrimp for the crabmeat if you like!

This is yummy--I made it tonight!

Susan
300/237/150
July 10, 2000

Posted by Debelli on 09-27-2001 05:22 PM:

LEMON CAKE-TOP PUDDING

2 egg yolks
1 Tbl softened butter
1/3 cup agave nectar
2 1/2 Tbl whole wheat flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup milk
2 egg white, beaten stiff,

Preheat oven to 350F

In a medium-size bowl, beat egg yolks lightly. Add butter and agave nectar. Stir in flour then add lemon juice and milk. Fold in egg whites.

Pour into 5 ungreased, individual custard cups. Place cups in baking pan, pour water into the pan aroudn the cups to a level of about halfway up the sides ofthe cups. Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes.

Posted by Debelli on 09-27-2001 05:25 PM:

CHOCOLATE ALMOND CANDY

4 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup of agave nectar
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup almonds or pecans, toasted

What you do:

In a double boiler, heat chocolate until melted. Add syrup, vanilla, and almonds. Stir well.

Using two teaspoons, drop mixture onto parchment paper in 18 mounds. Allow to cool and harden.

Store in an airtight container. These candies will last long, long, time- unless you eat them all!

NOTE: I haven't tried this one, can't even remember from where it came. Original recipe called for honey, so agave should work out fine. Let me know if anyone tries it, I dare not, they surely wouldn't last a long, long time around me!!!

Debelli 05-27-2002 04:48 PM

OCTOBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD

Posted by Debelli on 09-30-2001 12:39 PM:

This recipe is from the ALLRECIPES site-sounded interesting!

No Bake Bumpy Peanut Butter Nuggets

1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed

1 Combine peanut butter milk powder and coconut in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Stir in oats, ground cinnamon, wheat germ and apple juice concentrate.

2 Shape into 1 inch balls. Chill thoroughly before serving. Store refrigerated.

Makes approx. 30

Posted by Rosalie on 10-01-2001 12:21 AM:

Cranberry Oat Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Agave Nectar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups oatmeal
3/4 cup sgww pastry flour (scant)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon.

Cream butter, agave nectar and vanilla together on medium speed of electric mixer until light and creamy. Add egg and beat then add flour mixture and beat on low speed until blended. Stir in oats, cranberries and nuts.

Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Press flat for crisp cookies; leave mounded for chewy cookies.

Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

NB. I made just half a batch and used one small egg. The original recipe called for 1 egg and 2 tbsp water. I omitted the water as I substituted agave nectar for the sugar, so add a littler water if necessary, altho I didn't need any for the half batch I made.

Posted by Debelli on 10-01-2001 11:05 AM:

This recipe makes 10-13 dozen cookies, depending on how thick the cookies are. Start these cookies well before you need them. They need to refrigerate before being baked! If you don't have time to make all the cookies at once, you can freeze the dough to bake later. The baked cookies also freeze well.

CUT-OUT COOKIES

1-1/2 c. sweet butter at room temperature
1-1/2 c. agave nectar
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
4-5 c. whole wheat pastry flour
extra whole wheat pastry flour for kneading

Cream the butter and agave. Mix in the eggs. Add the baking soda and the flour, little by little. Mix well. Refrigerate for at least one hour to one day. When you take out the dough, preheat the oven to 325F. Take out a little dough at a time and knead some extra flour into it. Roll out on a well-floured board or table to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes. If you do not feel like rolling it out, make small balls (about a teaspoonful of dough) and press down with a fork. Or, make a dough log, wrap well in plastic wrap, freeze, then slice off cookies to bake as needed. Whatever method you use, place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 6 minutes until the bottoms are light brown. Do not over bake! Remove immediately to cool.

*NOTE: I haven't made these, can't remember where the recipe came from, but I would think you could easily make half-batch.

Posted by Zanne on 10-04-2001 07:29 AM:

I searched for this recipe. We picked a lot of apples last week and I want to try to use them up. And with Thanksgiving being this weekend for Canadians and only a month away for Americans, I thought it might be useful. Now I have to experiment with the apple filling! Help in this department would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't tried this yet, but Fanny Farmer recipes usually turn out good.

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

A low GI pie crust from The Fanny Farmer Baking Cookbook.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons cold water

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Drop in the shortening and using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips, work the shortening into the flour until it resembles coarse brown bread crumbs; there will be irregular bits and pieces but all the flour should be "touched" by the fat, while the mixture should remain light and dry. Sprinkle on the water, a tablespoon at a time, stirring well with a fork after each addition and adding the third tablespoon of water by droplets. Depending on the amount of moisture in the flour, you might need to add a little more or a little less. Add enough water so that the dough holds together easily and can be rolled out.

Shape the dough into a cake about 1 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter, and place it on a lightly whole-wheat-floured surface. Sprinkle the top of the dough with a little more flour and begin to roll lightly in all directions. Lift and turn the dough often and flour it sparingly if it sticks. Roll the dough until it is about 1/8 inch thick and at least 2 inches larger than an inverted 8 inch pie pan. Place the dough in the pan, then trim and crimp the edges.

Fill the pie with the desired filling and bake according the recipe's directions.

To bake the pie unfilled:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Prick the bottom and sides with a fork at 1/2 inch intervals and press a 12 inch square of heavy-duty aluminum foil snugly into the pie shell. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 2 minutes if you want a partially baked shell. If you want a fully baked shell, bake for 6 to 8 minutes after removing the foil, or until the crimped edge is beginning to brown and the bottom seems dry and crisp. Check the shell once or twice during baking and if it begins to swell, prick it gently with the tines of a fork.

Yield: 1 8 inch pie shell.

Busy Cooks - http://busycooks.About.com

Posted by Rosalie on 10-04-2001 11:10 PM:

Lentils with Pita Bread

1/2 cup lentils
1 small onion
Small piece of squash - grated
Green pepper
1 tomato - cut into 8-12 pieces
Parsley, basil, salt and pepper
Sprinkling of lemon juice

Cook lentils until tender. Drain off water and set aside. Chop onion and fry in pan for about 5 minutes. Add green pepper and squash and cook a few minutes more. Add lentils to pan with seasonings. Mix well. Add chopped tomato and cook for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle on a little lemon juice. Serve with lettuce and grated cheese and a little dressing if desired in a pita bread or tortilla. Also good cold as a side dish.

For variety use zucchini, or any left over veggies.

Spicy Lentils with Squash

¾ cup lentils
2 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stick of celery, chopped
1 cup butternut or pepper squash or sweet potato
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp black pepper
6 cardamom seeds
Bay leaf
1 tbsp unsalted chicken mix
½ tsp salt
2 tomatoes, chopped, or ½ cup canned tomatoes
2 tspn oil

Put oil in pan and fry onion until translucent. Add cumin seeds and fry for 10-20 seconds, add other spices, celery, chicken mix, salt, water, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to boil, cover and cook on low heat until lentils are almost tender - approx 30-45 minutes depending on type of lentil used. Add squash and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.

Serve with whole grain bread or over a bed of brown or basmati rice.

Posted by TVthatsME on 10-11-2001 03:59 PM:

Greek-Style Beef Stew

This flavorful dish is also known as Stifado.

Serves 4

2 pounds Beef stew meat (cubed)
3 Tablespoons Butter
1 medium Onion, diced
1/4 cup Tomato paste
1 1/2 cups Beef broth
1 1/2 Tablespoons Red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 pound Pearl onions
1/2 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup Feta cheese

Heat the butter in a heavy pot. Add the beef and brown. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the tomato paste, broth, vinegar, garlic and oregano. Cover and simmer one hour. Add the onions and simmer one more hour. Remove from the heat. Add the walnuts and cheese. Cover and allow to set 10 minutes before serving.

- Nick Sundberg

Posted by Debelli on 10-18-2001 09:40 AM:

CAROB PECAN SQUARES

1 egg, beaten
1/3 c oil
1/3 cup agave syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c WW flour
1/3 c broken pecans (or sliced almonds, or chopped walnuts)
1/3 c unsweetened carob chips

In a medium bowl blend together the firt 5 ingredients. Add flour and mix well. Stir in pecans and carob chips. Pour mixture into a greased baking pan 8x8x2, spreading evenly. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned and mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cut into 16 squares. Cool in pan.

NOTES This recipe is sooo easy! I warn you now, it's delicious!! Mine was ready at about 14 minutes, so keep and eye on it, the edges brown first. I used sliced almonds instead of pecans, only because I didn't have any pecans in the house. Of course, I'm going to be in BIG TROUBLE with these in the house!!

Posted by SolShine on 10-18-2001 10:30 AM:
YUM - MEEE!!

Spanakopita in Pastry Cups

1 box (10 ounces) puff pastry shells, thawed
2 boxes (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 small onion (for 1/2 cup chopped)
2 1/2 cups low fat milk
3 tablespoons flour
2 packages (4 ounces each) already crumbled feta cheese
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1 tablespoon lemon juice from concentrate
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste
1 1/2 cups already cooked cubed turkey or chicken breast meat (optional)

1. The oven should be already heated to 400 degrees
2. Bake the thawed pastry shells on an ungreased baking sheet until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes.
3. Meanshile, place the spinach in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 15 minutes, covered, on high, until defrosted and hot. Melt the margarine in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. While the margarine melts, peel and coarsely chop the onion adding it to the skillet as you chop. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the onion cooks, measure out the milk and set it aside.
4. When the onion is soft and translucent, reduce the heat to medium. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, to remove the raw taste from the flour. Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to low. Add the feta cheese, dill, lemon juice, pepper and salt (if desired). Stir to melt the cheese, about 1 minut5e. Remove from the heat and set aside while you check on the puff pastry and spinach; they both should be done by now. Remove them from the oven and microwave respectively.
6. Drain the spinach well. Return the skillet to the heat and stir in the spinach and turkey (if using). Stir well to mix.
7. Remove the tops from the puff pastry shells and set them aside. Remove the uncooked dough circles from the shells and discard. Place the shells on individual serving plates and fill each with 3/4 cup of the spinach mixture. Replace the reserved pastry tops and serve.

Serves 6 - with meat
Serves 4 - without meat
This is from DESPERATION DINNERS! a truly wonderful cookbook for busy people. Every recipe takes 20 minutes or less to make (some take longer the first time you make the recipe). (For working cooks - This recipe has a picture on the recipe meaning to pre-heat the oven as soon as you walk in the door from work so that the oven is pre-heated by the time you change clothes and get back into the kitchen. )

Posted by SolShine on 10-18-2001 10:31 AM:
DEEEEE-LISH!!

MANGO CHICKEN

1 cup uncooked basmati rice, rinsed well and drained
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped red onion
1 mango, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped cilantro

1. Add rinsed basmati rice to chicken broth and bring to a boil. When broth reduces to level of the rice, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove rice from heat, fluff with a fork, and keep warm.
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook chicken breasts in skillet over moderate heat until done, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
3. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet in which chicken was cooked. Heat oil and saute onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the cooked rice and diced chicken to the sauteed onions. Mix well and warm over low heat.
5. Combine the cilantro and lime juice with the diced mango and mix well.
6. Remove the heated chicken and rice to a large serving dish. Add the mango mixture and serve immediately.

Servings: 4
Fiber: 2 g, 518 Calories, 16g fat (28.6% calories from fat), 45g Protein, 47g carbohydrate, 105mg Cholesterol, 681mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 grain (starch), 5 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat.

This is from the SugarBusters! for Kids book (page 153). There are some KILLER quick and easy recipes in this book! I checked it out from the library and photocopied our favorites. Sonya gives it "2 (TWO) Thumbs Up"!

Posted by SolShine on 10-18-2001 10:33 AM:
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANTLY DIFFERENT!

CURRIED TUNA SALAD

1 12-ounce can tuna packed in water, drained
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
4 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
Dash red pepper

Combine all ingreadients. Mix well and chill.

Serving ideas: Serve over lettuce leaves or in a while wheat bread sandwich topped with lettuce.

(SolShine note: I add much more curry than the recipe calls for. I have also added fresh chopped ginger to the recipe and highly recommend it!! If you've never tried fresh ginger before it is surprisingly easy to peel and chop. I use it in so many recipes now whereas before I was afraid of it.)

Servings: 4
Per serving: 117 calories, 1 g fat (6.4% calories from fat), 23g protein, 3g Carbohydrate, 26mg Cholesterol, 451mg Sodium, Exchanges: 0 grain (starch), 3 lean meat, 0 vegetable, 0 nonfat milk, 0 fat.

This is also from the SugarBusters! for Kids book (page 136). There are some KILLER quick and easy recipes in this book! I checked it out from the library and photocopied our favorites. Sonya gives it "2 (TWO) Thumbs Up"!

Posted by TVthatsME on 10-18-2001 11:25 AM:

Tomato Florentine Soup
The flavors of tomatoes, spinach, and prosciutto combine to create a satisfying soup.

Serves 4

2 Tablespoons Olive oil
1/2 cup Onion, diced
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 cup Crushed tomatoes
1 cup Tomatoes, diced
2 cups Chicken broth
3/4 cup Spinach, chopped
1/4 cup Red wine
1 Tablespoon Basil
1 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
2 ounces Prosciutto (or country ham), diced
Romano cheese, grated

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until just soft. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, spinach, wine and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 35 minutes. Add the prosciutto and simmer 10 minutes longer. Serve warm garnished with the Romano cheese.

- Nick Sundberg

Posted by Rosalie on 10-25-2001 01:12 AM:

Sweet and Sour Pork

1-1 1/2 pound lean pork, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 stick celery, chopped
1 green or red pepper
2 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
Sweetener of choice to equal 2 tbsp sugar
4-6 oz pineapple juice
3-4 tbsp soya sauce
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tbsp chicken soup mix (I use salt free)
Small can tomatoes (8-10 ozs) or 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Bay Leaf

Fry onion and celery in oil for a few minutes. Add all other ingredients except the green/red pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for about 40 minutes, until the meat is almost tender. Cut green/red pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot and continue cooking for approx fifteen minutes or until the meat is cooked. Add a cup of frozen peas and cook for about 5 minutes more.

Serve over basmati rice.

Posted by Debelli on 10-25-2001 06:32 PM:

PEANUT BUTTER BALLS

1/2 c. any nut butter-peanut, almond, cashew, etc.
2T agave syrup
3T powdered instant non-fat milk

1. Stir in ingredients together. Knead briefly, then form into 16 inch sized balls. Roll lightly in carob powder, ground nuts, or leave plain. Allow to stand 20 minutes or more for the milk powder to dissolve.
2. Store refrigerated.

NOTES You may add a tad more milk powder if your PB (or other nut butter) is too thin, but shouldn't require more than another 1/2tsp or so. I let mine stand in the fridge. I liked them a lot. Just remember, they may be small, but they still have calories and fat!!!

Posted by Debelli on 10-25-2001 06:33 PM:

CRUNCHY WHEAT GERM

For breakfast, or dessert-with fresh fruit or on yogurt. This recipe may be doubled, tripled or quadrupled.

1T butter
1T agave syrup
1/4tsp cinnamon
1C raw wheat germ

1. Melt the butter, honey and cinnamon in a pan.
2. Stir the liquids in to the raw wheat germ and combine thoroughly with a wooden spoon. All the flakes should be uniformly coated.
3. Spread the moistened wheat germ on the bototm of an ungreased stainless or enamelware or glass pan and toast in a 300F oven fro about 15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes to see if the edges need to be turned in toward the center.
4. At the end of the baking time, the wheat germ will still seem moist, but it will crisp upon cooling. When it is thoroughly cooed, transfer it to a tightly lidded container, glass or plastic, and refrigerate.

Makes a little over 1 cup.

NOTES: I really liked this! I didn't have raw wheat germ, only toasted, which to me is fine, but I don't know what it would be like using the raw wheat germ. I melted the butter with the agave and cinnamon in a bowl in the microwave (just watch you don't over-due it), then dumped the wheat germ in that same bowl. When you mix it, it looks quite dry, that's fine. I baked mine for an extra 3 minutes, and it does crisp up soon after you take it out of the oven. I had it with milk-yummy! You can also serve it over yogurt, cottage cheese, fresh or cooked fruit, even veggies if you want a little sweetness added. It's not too sweet at all, if you like it sweeter, just add another tbl of agave. Personally, as a cereal is probably how I will use it most. May be able to make a good crust from this!

Debelli 05-27-2002 04:50 PM

NOVEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD

Posted by GatorGal on 10-31-2001 03:23 PM:

Lime-Tequila-Jalapeno Marinade for chicken or fish

1/4 C oil
1 1/2 t grated lime peel
3 T fresh lime juice
3 T tequila
2 T Triple Sec
3 T fresh orange juice or juice of 1/4 orange
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and MINCED fine
1 t chili powder
1 t sugar
1/2 t coarse salt

Mix all together. Let sit for 5 minutes. Pour over chicken or seafood. Marinate chicken for 1-3 hours, seafood for 30 min. Remove meat from marinade, but do not dry off. Cook as desired. Boil down the remaining marinade and pour over meat as an accompaniment. Can make marinade 1 day ahead.

I am watching my fat grams, so I have made this with only 1 T oil. Works just fine. I have also omitted the sugar. Also works fine, especially because of the OJ in there.
I have used this only on fish, normally tilapia, and I grill the fish on our gas grill. It is delicious.

Enjoy!

Posted by tree on 11-02-2001 07:46 PM:

Here's a great recipe. It's easy, and very good, but it takes 1-1/2 hr to cook! Maybe a crock pot would be better. I used chicken broth, and added some regular hot pepper seeds for the various peppers. Per the author, you can substitute lentils, but the flavor will not be the same. I like that the chana dal stays firm.

Valerie's Golden Chana Dal Soup
2 C chana dal, cleaned
1 stalk celery
8 C water or veg stock
1 sm yam, peeled, chunked
1 lg onion, quartered
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cherry pepper, seeded, sliced
1 hot pepper, seeded, sliced
1/4 C basil leaves
2 T olive oil
2 bay leaves

Heat olive oil in pot, saute onions until golden. Add all of ingred, except dal and stock. Stir until softened. Add chana dal + water/stock. Bring to boil, simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hr. Serves 6

Posted by Debelli on 11-04-2001 03:37 PM:

BROWN RICE RICE-A-RONI

2 Tbl unsalted butter
1/2 cup WW spaghetti, broken into small 1 inch pieces
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cups boiling water
1 Tbl lite soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt

Melt the butter in a 2-qt. pot, add rice and spaghetti and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until golden. Stir frequently so it won't burn. Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer over a low heat until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, approx. 45 minutes.

Posted by April Marie on 11-04-2001 07:33 PM:

Thanks for the ideas! I'm having such a hard time sticking with things.

Thanks,

April Marie

Posted by Rosalie on 11-08-2001 12:48 AM:

Cole Slaw

1 small red onion
1 small cucumber
1 cup snow peas
1 yellow pepper
1 red pepper
2 cups shredded greeen cabbage
2 cups shredded red cabbage
2 tbsp chopped coriander

Marinade
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Sweetener of choice to equal 2 tbspn sugar
Salt and pepper

Combine ingredients for marinade in saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

Chop onion, cucumber and peppers and cut snow peas into small pieces. Combine with cabbage and coriander in large bowl. Pour over marinade. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.

From Canadian Living magazine.

Posted by tree on 11-15-2001 09:55 PM:

Still on my chana dal kick... here's two more recipes

Chana Dal Serves 4 to 6.
1-1/2 C chana dal or yellow split peas or lentils
1/4 t garam masala
5 C water
3 T ghee or butter
1/2 t ground turmeric
1/2 t whole cumin seed
2 slices unpeeled ginger
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 t salt
1/4 t red chili powder

Put dal in heavy pot w/ 5 C water. Bring to boil, remove surface scum. Add turmeric + ginger. Cover, leave lid very slightly ajar. Turn heat to low, simmer gently for 1-1/2 hr or until dal is tender. Stir every 5 min during last ½ hr of cooking to prevent sticking. Remove ginger slices. Add salt + garam masala. Stir to mix. Heat ghee in a pan over med flame. When hot, add cumin seeds. Add garlic. Stir-fry until garlic is lightly browned. Add chili powder. Remove from heat, pour contents into dal. Very tasty!

Coconut Moong Dal
Moong dal 1/2C
Turmeric powder 1/2 t
Coconut 1 C (unsweetened)
5-6 Garlic cloves
Red chili powder 1 t
Curry leaves
Mustard seeds
2 Red Chilies

Roast moong dal dry w/o any oil until it is pink in color. Cook till soft & can be smashed. Grind coconut, garlic, red chili powder + turmeric powder. When done, remove from flame. Add ground mixture to dal. Add salt. Set aside. Add oil and mustard seeds to pan. Once it starts popping, add 2 red chilies + curry leaves. Add to dal mixture. Heat through, do not boil.

I used chana dal (doesn't turn pink) instead of moong dal. I also used 1tsp Curry powder instead of leaves, and a pinch of chili powder instead of red chiles. I used 5-6 garlic cloves as per recipe. OH MY! It was PURE garlic. To salvage it (it was almost inedible), I added 1 cup more boiled chana dal (I had some in refrig), and added 2-3t fructose to help cut the garlic. Much better (although DH still didn't like it). I bet some light coconut milk mixed in would be good too.

Posted by Debelli on 11-16-2001 01:44 PM:

Had gotten this off another site a while back and never posted it-sounded not only easy, but good

CHINESE FRIED BULGUR

2 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup finely minced onion
1/2 cup finely minced celery
1/2 cup finely minced green pepper
2 1/2 cups cooked bulgur
2 tbsp soy sauce

Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add onion, celery, and pepper. Sauté over moderate heat until onion is opaque. Stir in bulgur. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in soy sauce.

Posted by Debelli on 11-17-2001 07:50 PM:

I haven't made either one of these recipes, so I can't vouch for how they will be. I may try to make the Sweet Potato Pie before TG if I have the time, or maybe I'll make it and take it with me and see if anyone likes it-my willing and unknowing taste-testers!

PUMKIN PUDDIN'

3 eggs
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups diced pumpkin
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 300

In a blender or food processor, combine eggs, agave syrup, milk, melted butter, nutmeg, salt and 1 cup diced pumpkin. Process until smooth. Remove cover while blender is running, or open chute to food processor and slowly add remaining pumpkin. Pour mixture into a buttered baking dish. Add walnuts, it desired. Bake inover for approx. 1 hr. 15 minutes, or until set. Serve warm.

SWEET POTATO PIE

1 9" unbaked pie shell
2lbs sweet potatoes
1/3 cup agave syrup
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbl grated lemon rind
1 Tbl lemon juice

Preheat oven to 400F

Cook potatoes by preferred method until tender. Peel and mash, you should have about 2 cups of sweet potatoes.

Mix together the sweet potatoes, agave syrup, eggs, milk and butter. Add spices, salt, lemon ring and lemon juice. Bake in a preheated over for approx. 1 hour, or until the filling is set and lightly browned on top.

Posted by Fillise on 11-19-2001 09:44 AM:
SF Apple Pie

This is the recipe I adapted from the Splenda Box. I used the SGWW crust recipe on the October Recipe board. The Hodgson Mills web site also has a good recipe for WW pie crust.

The pie is good--rustic and hearty!

9 inch double pie crust (OCT recipe board).

7 cups thin sliced ,cored, peeled, apples (about 7 medium)
1 cup Splenda
2tbl SGWW flour
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt.
1 tbl butter

Place bottom pie crust in pie pan.

Slice apples into large bowl

In a small bowl combine Splenda, spices, and flour. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples and mix thoroughly. Spoon apple mixture into pie crust. Dot with butter.

Place second crust over the filling- and crimp edges together. Make vents for steam to escape.

Bake in a preheated 425 oven until the top crust is golden brown (about 40-50 minutes). Serve warm or chilled. My pie was done after 40 minutes.

Like, I said this is yummy! Make one of these for Thanksgiving and you won't feel deprived when the rest of the family has their pie!

One more thing--I used tart apples (granny smith) so the pie wasn't overly sweet. For those of you who have lost your sweet tooth on this WOE--you taste the apples and cinnamon more than the sweetner!

Susan

Posted by tree on 11-19-2001 06:47 PM:

Here is my DS' spanakopita recipe:
2 pkg frozen, chopped spinach (or one large bag)
olive oil
1 pkg fillo dough ( I found WW fillo from The Fillo company)
feta cheese (Krinos brand is good. It comes in a jar as a whole piece in brine)
It pays to buy the better quality feta.
oven-safe pie plate - glass is best

Defrost spinach and bring to a boil in saucepan, about 2-3 minutes. Drain in colander, let cool and press
out as much of the water as possible. Put spinach back in empty pot. Add a couple tbsp of olive oil. Add a
palmful of crumbled feta (more if you want it cheesier) and a little pepper to taste. No salt - cheese is very salty. Mix all together and set aside.

in pie plate - brush bottom and sides w/ olive oil using pastry brush. Unroll fillo carefully not to tear
sheets. Line bottom of plate with 2 sheets. Brush lightly with oil. Add 2 more sheets and again oil
lightly. Spoon in spinach, spreading evenly.

Cover spinach with 2 more filo sheets and brush with oil. Another 2 sheets & oil again. Trim excess fillo
hanging over edge of pie plate. Roll remaining edge in all around and press edge all around. Brush edges
with oil. Bake in 350 oven until well-browned and flaky on top.

Here's another Sweet Potato Pie recipe
Larry's Sweet Potato Pie
Ingredients:
· 2 large sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 1/2 cup milk
· 1/2 cup no-sugar-added maple flavored syrup
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix mashed sweet potatoes with eggs, milk, syrup, vanilla and nutmeg. pour into a lightly oiled 9-inch pie pan and bake at 350 degrees F for one hour or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center. This recipe does NOT call for a pie crust.
(From Sugarfree Quick and Easy! by Deanie Bahan.

Posted by Debelli on 11-20-2001 09:46 AM:

Here's a recipe I found on RECIPES.COM that sounded good. The reviews it got was wonderful. I would just change the flour for the crust to WW-or just make your own crust. The 1tbl of sugar is fine, as long as you are cutting the pie proportionally and not eating the whole thing. Or, you can substitute Splenda or agave syrup, I would think. Personally, I'd leave off the topping, it's not needed (niether are the extra calories and fat).

Pilgrim Pumpkin Pie
Submitted by: Fern

Makes 1 pie

Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour (use WW or make your own crust)
1 tablespoon white sugar (or alternative sweetener)
2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups shortening
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 egg
1/2 cup ice water

2 eggs, beaten
2 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2 To Make Pastry: In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3 In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, 1 egg, and ice water. Pour into flour mixture and stir until dough forms a ball. Divide into 4 portions. Freeze 3 of them or use for other pies. Reserve one for Pilgrim Pumpkin Pie.
4 To Make Pumpkin Filling: In a large bowl, combine 2 beaten eggs, pumpkin, 3/4 cup honey or sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, cloves, and evaporated milk. Mix well.
5 Roll out pastry and fit into a 9 inch pie plate. Pour in pumpkin filling.
6 Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake an additional 45 minutes, until filling is set.
7 To Make Honey Ginger Cream: In a large bowl combine whipping cream, 1/4 cup honey, and 1/2 teaspoon ginger. Whip until soft peaks form. Chill 1 hour before serving. Place a spoonful on top of each slice of pie.

Here's the link to the site where this came from, you can read the reviews as well:

http://pie.allrecipes.com/AZ/PilgrimPumpkinPie.asp

Posted by Debelli on 11-20-2001 09:58 AM:

This recipe sounded interesting. May try it, but for me, I would make half of the recipe. Are marinated artichoke hearts SB LEGAL? If not , water packed I would think would be fine:

Parmesan Sourdough Stuffing

Recipe By : http://www.cdkitchen.com
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sensational Sides: Stuffing

2 Loaves Sourdough Bread, Lightly Toasted -- cut in cubes
3 Tbsp Butter
2 Onion -- chopped
1 Lb Mushroom -- sliced
2 C Celery -- chopped
1 Clove Garlic -- minced
3 1/2 C Chicken Broth
24 Oz Marinated Artichoke Hearts -- drained
1 C Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Tbsp Poultry Seasoning
1 Tbsp Rosemary
2 Eggs -- beaten

Brown garlic, celery, onions, and mushrooms in butter. Add
1/2 c. broth to release brown bits in pan. Mix everything
together except eggs and rest of broth. Whisk eggs and
remaining broth together and pour over bread mixture and
stir until well coated. Stuff bird or bake stuffing in dish
350F degrees 30 minutes covered and 20 minutes uncovered.

Posted by Debelli on 11-20-2001 10:01 AM:

Another stuffing recipe sounding not only easy, but good. I'd just ditch the carrots!

SOURDOUGH CRANBERRY STUFFING

Serves 8

3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped carrot (delete if desired)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
6 cups diced day-old sourdough bread
3/4 cup fresh cranberries
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cook the onion, celery, carrot, and butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Remove from the heat, add the chicken stock, sage, chives, thyme, and parley, and stir well. Place the bread in a large bowl, pour the mixture from the saucepan over the bread, and toss until all the liquid is absorbed. Fold in the cranberries and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown.

This recipe came from the following site:

http://www.epicurious.com/promo/gallo/recipes4.html

Posted by Melf on 11-20-2001 06:23 PM:
Pumpkin Cheescake

PUMPKIN PIE/CHEESECAKE
I know most people think of pumpkin pie as a Christmas desert but it is great anytime.

16oz cream cheese
14oz can pumpkin PUREE
4 eggs
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup splenda
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves

beat cream cheese until soft. Add remaining ingredients and blend 1 minute. pour into Pam sprayed pie pan. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until set. Cool on rack at room temperature, then cover and refrigerate 2 hours
Decorate with whipped cream, and walnuts or pecans

Cheesecake crust (optional)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped nuts
2 tbsp splenda
3 tbsp butter melted
Combine nuts, sweetener and butter; press onto bottom of 9" spring form cake pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.

***I used this recipe as the crust, but here are a couple of other choices which I have used in the past & are also very good.

Low GI Pie Crust: Special K
Use this pie crust in place of graham cracker crusts. Fill it with puddings,
gelatin desserts, or sugar free ice cream.

3 cups Special K cereal (for 1 1/2 cups crumbs)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons fructose
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place the cereal in a plastic bag and seal. Use a rolling pin to crush
the cereal into crumbs, turning and shaking the bag frequently to
make a consistent crumb. You will have 1 1/2 cups of crumbs.

Pour crumbs into a medium bowl stir in cinnamon and fructose.
Pour in melted butter and stir with a fork until well blended and
evenly distributed.

Press the crumb mixture into pie dish. It will not stick as well as a
traditional graham cracker crust, just press gently. It will firm up
after baking.

Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until set. Cool slightly, then fill as desired.

============================================

Low GI Toasted Almond Pie Crust

Use this nutty pie crust in place of graham cracker crusts. Fill it with puddings, gelatin desserts, sugar free ice cream, or your
favorite low GI fillings.

8 ounces whole blanched almonds (1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon fructose
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a food processor or blender, grind the almonds to a coarse meal. Toss the ground almonds with the fructose and melted butter until evenly distributed. Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate, using your fingers to distribute it evenly on the bottom and along the sides.

Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool. Fill with your favorite filling.
Busy Cooks - http://busycooks.About.com

Posted by Rosalie on 11-25-2001 07:30 PM:

APPLE CRISP

8 medium apples (about 2 1/2 pound)
Lemon juice

Peel and core the apples and cut into one inch chunks. Spread them evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Combine:
1/4 cup sgww pastry flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 tspn gound cinnamon
1/4 tspn ground nutmeg
6 tbspn fructose OR 1/2 cup Splenda
4 tbspn butter

Cut butter into dry ingredients using pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Spread the topping evenly over the fruit. Shake the dish a couple of times to settle in the crumbs. Sprinkle 2-3 tbspn cream over the top (optional).

Bake at 375 F until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender, about 50 minutes.

Posted by Zanne on 11-26-2001 08:40 AM:
Fresh Tomato Soup Provencal

I make this every so often. It's so easy. You don't peel the tomatoes! Don't expect a taste like Campbell's tomato. This has a bit more zip to it.

Fresh Tomato Soup Provencal
Fresh herbs add a delightful flavor to this soup. If the herbs called for here aren't available, use other fresh herbs, such as dill instead of basil and oregano instead of thyme. For a lighter soup, omit milk and add a little more chicken stock.

3 large tomatoes, quartered (about 1 1/4 lbs)
1 med. onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 1/4 cups chicken stock
2 TBSP tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
1 TBSP chopped fresh time (or 1/2 tsp dried)
2/3 cup mil
salt and freshly ground pepper
GARNISH: fresh thyme or basil leaves

In saucepan, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, chicken stock; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Transfer to blender or food processor; add tomato paste and process till smooth. Stir in parsley, basil, thyme and milk; season with salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and refrigerate to serve chilled, or reheat over medium heat and serve hot. Garnish each serving with thyme sprigs or basil leaves. Makes 6 servings, 3/4 cup each.

PER SERVING
calories 50
g fat 1
mg cholesterol 2
mg sodium 182
g protein 3
g carbohydrate 8

From The Lighthearted Cookbook by Anne Lindsay

I usually make this using the dried herbs and I DON'T add salt. The recipe calls for 2% milk, so if you use 1% or skim, the calories will be even less! I've never eaten it chilled, tho. Just be careful when putting in the blender. Hold the lid down and don't fill blender jug too full. You don't want the lid to pop off and the hot liquid spray you. It has to be processed in batches.

Posted by Debelli on 11-29-2001 08:09 AM:

I haven't tried this recipe, but it sounded easy!

MASHED SWEET POTATOES

4 sweet potatoes or yams (about 2lbs) peeled and cooked
1/3 cup agave syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened orange juice
1 tbl grated orange rind
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup plain yogurt
maple extract to taste (optional)

In a large bowl combine all ingredients; mash and serve immediately.

If you want it a little sweeter, just add a bit more agave syrup.

Posted by Debelli on 11-29-2001 08:10 AM:

Haven't tried this one either:

BROCCOLI WALNUT SPREAD

1 pkg (10oz) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 pkg (8oz) lowfat cream cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a food processor combine all ingredients. Process until blended; chill

This can be served as a cracker spredy or you can spread on SB LEGAL Italian-type bread and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes for a quick and easy appetizer.

Posted by Debelli on 11-29-2001 08:17 AM:

This dish sounded good to make forCHANUKAH. I haven't tried it yet, but might try to make it today.

BLINTZ LOAF

1/4 cup butter, melted
3 ouces cream cheese
1 ound cottage cheese
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup WW pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4-6 tablespoons agave
cinnamon

Combined the butter, cheeses and eggs in a blender or with an electric mixer. Add the lemon juice, vanilla, flour, baking powder and agave syrup. Pour into a buttered 8x8 baking pan. Dust with cinnamon. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 40-50 minutes or until nicely browned. Serve with sour cream or yogurt.

Posted by Debelli on 11-29-2001 11:17 AM:

Found this recipe posted on the web that came from the NATURAL HEALTH MAG. Sounds interesting.

Mango and Plum Crisp

Yield: 4 to 6 servings
From Natural Health July/August 1999

Filling

Nonstick cooking spray
3 large mangoes (about 2 1/4 lbs), peeled, pitted, cut in 3/4" cubes
2 black plums, pitted and cut in 1/2" wedges
3 Tbsp. lime juice
1/3 C. natural raspberry jam
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Topping

1 C. rolled oats
1/4 C. unbleached all-purpose flour (use SGWW PASTRY FLOUR)
2 tsp. flaxseeds (optional)
1/4 C. sliced almonds
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 C. light agave sweetener

Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 8" square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. '

Use spoon to gently combine mangoes, plum, lime juice, jam, and vanilla in large bowl. Turn filling into prepared dish, spreading evenly.

Stir together oats, flour, flaxseeds, almonds, and salt in another large bowl. Add agave sweetener. With fork, work sweetener into dry ingredients until topping is uniformly moist. Spread topping over fruit, using fork to pat into even layer (it will be sticky).

Bake crisp until topping is firm and browned, about 30 min. Let stand 30 min, or until barely warm, before serving.

Posted by Rosalie on 12-01-2001 07:37 PM:

Zucchini and Chili Latkes

2 medium sweet potatoes
2 medium zucchini
1 small onion
1 jalopeno pepper, seeded
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sgww flour
3/4 tspn salt and pepper
Oil for frying

Grate sweet potato and zucchini. Squeeze liquid from zucchini. Finely chop onion and pepper. Combine all ingredients. Fry in oil in pan until browned - 2-3 minutes each side.

I used 1/2 tspn curry powder in place of the jalopeno pepper.

I found this recipe in a magazine while at the hairdressers. I think it was in Chatelaine. The original called for regular potato but I substituted sweet potato. I made it twice already - yummy.

Debelli 05-27-2002 04:52 PM

DECEMBER 2001 RECIPE BOARD

Posted by THE BIG ORANGE BABE on 12-02-2001 11:52 AM:

MEDITERRANEAN CHICKPEA LATKES

Before I begin, you will notice that there is call for ALL PURPOSE FLOUR in the following recipe. Please make your substitutions. I don't know if WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR will work, but it's worth a try.

1 15oz can garbanzo beans..rinsed, drained
2 garlic cloves
1 tbs fresh rosemary
3 lrg eggs
6 tbs water
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 tblspoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder

6 tbs (or more) olive oil
Pomegranate seeds (optional)

Blend garbanzo beans, garlic and rosemary in processor to course paste. Add eggs, water and extra-virgin olive oil, blend until smooth. Add flour, cumin, salt, pepper and baking powder and blend. Pour batter into bowl.
Heat 6 tbs of oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tbs into hot oil. Cook until golden, about 1 minute per side. Using slotted spatula, transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more oil to skillet as necessary and allow to get hot before adding more batter. Transfer latkes to plates. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if desired and serve.

makes about 24

Posted by Debelli on 12-05-2001 12:39 PM:

Here's the recipe I created, it's delicious!!! I submitted the recipe just as is, but for it to be SB LEGAL you will omit the raisins and if desired, you can use chopped nuts in their place. ALSO, do take not that I used the NEW AGAVE SYRUP which is less sweet than the one currently on the market, so if you make it with the older version, there should be no need to increase the agave for a sweeter muffin-it's going to be sweeter than the one I made.

BRAN MUFFINS

1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup NATUREL AGAVE SYRUP
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup bran flakes
1/3 cup raisins

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Beat together agave syrup, oil, eggs, and milk and stir into dry ingredients together with the bran flakes and raisins. Mix only to moisten all ingredients. Spoon mixture into muffin cups to 2/3 cup full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

OPTION: If you would like to omit the raisins, you can add 1/3 cup chopped walnuts in place of the raisins if desired, or just leave them plain. If you like a sweeter muffin, increase the agave syrup by 1/4 cup and decrease the milk to 3/4 cup.