Old 11-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Saying Goodbye....

So this weekend was my anniversary. It was supposed to be a good weekend and I had been looking forward to it for weeks. On Tues, my cat was not acting well, so we took her to the vet.

They said she had an infection and gave us antibiotics. I've been giving them to her religiously. They said if she wasn't doing well by Fri, to bring her back. Friday came and she was worse and they were closed due to an emergency. I took her to another vet, I've spent close to $500, and not one person can tell me what is wrong with her.

At this point, she's not eating, she's not drinking.... she just lays there.

Three months ago I had to put down my 4 year old cat because of a genetic heart condition. This one..... this one I've had for 11 years. She was born in my front yard. I've raised her from a kitten. Now she's just laying there wasting away and no one can tell me why.

I know she can't live forever, but I'm just not ready to say goodbye. My family is like she can pull through, you never know, and I'm not going to stop with the medication, but the truth is she's getting worse, not better. I've already had to say goodbye to Kieko, prematurely at that, but she was sudden. How can I just sit here and watch my Chibi just waste away?

We had so much good news this weekend and I want to focus on it, but I just can't. She's my baby and I just don't know how to handle this.
FickleHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I'm very sorry you're going through this. We went through this not too long ago. It's hard, but give her lots of cuddles, be careful of open doors (if they're very ill they may try to go outside, it's instinctual), offer her warmed wet food (about 10 seconds on a microwave safe plate or paper towel) it releases the aroma which may make it more appealing. Just make her as comfortable as you can. You will get through this.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

If she is not drinking for a couple of days consider IV fluids. I had to do that for my cat once when she went through a 3 week spell with heavy diarrhea. I also spoon fed her wellness cat food in pouches as she would eat the broth, but not the solid part. She also liked Friskies gravy sensations. As the poster above said, it may help to warm up the food.

If antibiotics do not help, it may be a virus. It depends whether this developped suddenly or whether there were some gradual changes and symptoms with her. I wish you good luck with your cat. It is hard with animals as they cannot tell you what is wrong and you tend to feel powerless.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #4  
Just watch me ...

Did they run lab work or take xrays?
Honestly, try another vet.
When my cat was sick & wouldn't eat She did eat baby food & that got her over the hump . Also, a vet can give her a medicine to up her appetite. Don't give up. Good luck.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #5  

They did lab work, x-rays, kept her over night, have been giving her sub-cu injections to prevent dehydration. I've warmed up food, I've tried to give it to her with a syringe, I've begged her to eat.

They don't have a clue. The x-rays didn't show a mass, blood work didn't show anything abnormal other than a high white blood cell count. Her belly is full of fluid which would suggest heart failure, kidney problems, or FIP. But heart is fine, kidneys are working fine, and she has no other symptoms of FIP. She doesn't even have a fever and if anything, her temp is too low. They drained the fluid and there's nothing abnormal in it save for the white blood cell count being high, which they say is an infection.

She's been on antibiotics for a week now though and no improvement at all. Up until yesterday she would at least nibble on her food or sip water. Now she just lays there.

I'm completely lost as to what I should do.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #6  
Just watch me ...

Maybe they can give you an appetite stimulant to give to her.
My cat had fluid build-up, and sounds like the same thing, although I got Lasix to give her, too, to prevent the fluid from building up again, and we have to see a cardiologist because she's also on heart meds. But my cat's much older.

How about trying vanilla ice cream, or yogurt? Maybe cottage cheese? that works for my girl when she's not feeling well - gets her interested in food again.

Last edited by Exhale15; 11-04-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

Maybe her stomach is upset from the medicine. When I got my cat fixed I could not get her to eat or drink afterwards. They said her stomach was probably upset so she wasn't interested. They had me give her sugar water to up her electrolytes and calm her stomach. It worked she drank some of that and a few hours later ate a little bit. You can also try watered down pedolyte.

But you might want to check with your vet before giving it to her.

Last edited by Mara; 11-04-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/145/130

Height: 5'-6" roughly

My heart goes out to you Fickle.
Crimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Fickle I just want to give you a hug. Believe me when you say she is your baby I understand. I have spent out rageous money on my animals to get them better but they are family.
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

You can do the sub-cu fluids at home, if you're comfortable with that. I've done that with two of my cats (one is still with me) and it really helps. My diabetic cat had a diabetic crisis and although I got his blood sugar stabilized he was badly dehydrated. Sub-cu fluids at home saved me a trip to the vet. My vet gives me the fluid and the needles so I can do it at home.

Is your cat urinating/defecating normally?

You might also consider feeding a slurry of canned cat food (A/D is perfect for this) mixed with water through a feeding syringe. This will get some nutrients and some fluids into your cat. I've had to do this with multiple animals that were sick. The only reason I wouldn't try this would be if there is an intestinal blockage- if your cat has been defecating, then probably there is no blockage.

You might check cat specific forums- there would be a plethora of people there to give you suggestions on what might help.

Other than that- I am really sorry you are going through this. I really hope your cat bounces back. I'm shocked that the vet can't figure out what's wrong, at least. My prayers and positive thoughts are coming your way.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #11  

Thank you all for your words and help.

My cat, Chibi, passed away this afternoon. I came home from work and she had gone on to meet her maker. I wish I knew what she had and if I had known, she'd probably still be purring beside me. At least she is at peace now and I hope she knows she will be sorely missed and that she was very much loved.

I really appreciate all of you. Thank you for taking the time to let me get this off my chest.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Hugs
cleancowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Default Hugs

oh, I am so sorry for your loss. She was lucky to have you as her owner, God bless.

seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #14  
Just watch me ...

She is at peace now, and she knows she was loved.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote