3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pudgy Pets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets-196/)
-   -   My Hedgie (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets/239885-my-hedgie.html)

nikkinouille 08-03-2011 10:04 AM

My Hedgie

2 Attachment(s)
I have to admit, I am a dog person. However, my bf & I work a LOT of hours & to have a dog would be unfair to it. A cat would be reasonable, but neither he nor I like cats. So we were thinking... what could we have? We wanted an animal but something low maintenance. Well, we decided on a hedgehog! His name is Matheson. He was born in November and we have had him since Jan :) We got his name from the movie Pineapple Express, if any of you have seen it. Here is a couple pics.

Michi702 08-03-2011 11:06 AM

That's so cool!! Does he like taking a bath? Also, was it hard to learn how to handle him? I'd imagine you'd get a quill stuck in you here or there.

nikkinouille 08-03-2011 11:14 AM

He didn't like baths at first but we made it a habit of giving him one per week so he would get used to them. Now he doesn't mind them so much :)

And they can quill you, but we lucked out and got a super nice one. He has never hurt us.

EmmaD 08-03-2011 11:34 AM

For real?! I had no idea hedgehogs could be pets!!
SOOOOOOO adorable!!!!

missyj 08-03-2011 11:42 AM

That is the cutest darn thing I have EVER seen!! I also had no idea you could have a hedgehog as a pet! Do you keep him iindoors or outdoors? in a cage, or can he roam around? You brought a HUGE smile to my face with his adorable photos! :D

kelly315 08-03-2011 11:48 AM

How cute! Do you ever get pricked when he gets upset, or is that not a problem?

nikkinouille 08-03-2011 03:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you ladies :)

@ missyj: he is kept in a cage, but it isn't a little teeny one. my bf hand built him a huge cage. it's about 4.5 feet high and 5 feet long. he has a wheel to run on, a bed/hideout, a pvc pipe he likes to run through and occasionally nap in, his food, water, toys (he likes cat toys), and a litter box. yes, he goes to the bathroom in a litter pan. the cage even has a storage space below where we keep his food/litter/clean blankets. i will attach a couple pics.

@ kelly315 - they can quill you when upset, but it isn't an issue with him. he is super friendly (at least with my bf & i).

KellyAF 08-08-2011 06:12 PM

Wow, He is super cute!!
We have 2 dogs, and tried to rescue a parrot, but he turned out to be super aggressive towards me, and sadly
he will be going back to the rescue soon. I would like to have another pet. Hedgehogs have crossed my mind,
but I have not done my research yet. I really like your set up there and I bet he does too.

snorkelmom 08-08-2011 08:13 PM

He's so cute!!!!!!!! Love those little eyes and his adorable little nose. My daughter better not see these pix, she LOVES hedgehogs!

tessendicott 02-15-2012 11:16 PM

I've always wanted a hedgehog, but they're illegal in GA, so I'm settling for a sugar glider whenever I can save up enough money! Yours is adorable.