Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Pet Depression

I apologize in advance if this is long, or I ramble. I'm having a difficult weekend.

DH and I have, had 2 dogs. One of them became very ill last weekend, and the emergency vet diagnosed him with bloat, advised me that he needed a $3000 surgery or would die. He was almost 11, and the surgery would have given him maybe another 6 months, could have killed him, and wouldn't have given back his quality of life. We opted against the surgery, and anticipated that he would pass away at home in about 24 hours. He didn't.

Yesterday, we took him to our vet and learned that he didn't have bloat (of course, since it takes a pet's life very quickly). Instead, we learned he had a very large tumor in his abdomen. It was causing him great pain, he was having a hard time breathing, and he couldn't even lay down. Even with the tumor and water weight gain, he'd lost about 15lbs in the last week. DH and I discussed it, and decided that we would put him to sleep right then at the vet, because the tumor would have done it in a few weeks, but it would have been a miserable time for him.

I'm not dealing with my grief very well, I can't stop crying and even though I know we did the right thing, I'm still miserable. I rescued him when he was 3 weeks old, fed him with a bottle, and he slept smashed up against me or on me every night for the last almost 11 years.

Our other dog is very depressed and missing her brother. She keeps running around the house looking for him, has no interest in playing or going on a walk, and doesn't want to eat. I know my emotions aren't helping her, and she's feeding off of them, but I also think a good portion of it is that she's always had another dog around. Today is the first day in her life she hasn't had a sibling, and she turned 12 in November.

Has anyone gone through this? Any advice on how to help my puppy? The vet said to try and keep her engaged, but she wants nothing to do with any of it. We even got her a new toy today - her favorite, a stuffed animal that she could tear apart. We've never had a stuffed animal last for more than 5 minutes before, and she's laying on the floor snuggled up with it, and has been for hours. I don't know how to help her.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #2  

For those that viewed this post 100 times, I give you an update.

We broke down and got a puppy. My dog is much happier having a companion, even though she doesn't like the puppy at all. And DH is happy to have a dog to call his own, since "our" dogs were "my" dogs long before he and I got married. And the puppy is absolutely DH's boy, he doesn't want much to do with me, and the bond between them is very strong already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scuito2 12-31-10.jpg (24.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #3  
Winning!

S/C/G: 287.8/276.6/142

Height: 5'3.5"

I haven't been through this, but I am sure it was awful. I can't imagine having to put either of my dogs to sleep. I am glad to see you got another puppy, I am sure your other dog likes having the puppy around, even if it is not their favorite.

Good luck with the new pup!
drinkypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #4  
Adopt A Shelter Pet

S/C/G: 171/166/138

Height: 5'7

I went through this last spring and it was heartbreaking. I had to have my beloved 11 year old dog put to sleep because she had an aggressive form of bladder cancer. I was shattered, and our 10 year old dog was utterly miserable. She stood watch by the window and checked my car for our other dog for weeks. I tried everything to make her feel better, but after two months, she was still depressed, so I broke down and adopted a dog from the local shelter. My only regret was waiting so long to do it. My dog was thrilled to have a "sister" and I was happy to have a dog of my own again.
Has your older dog gotten used to the puppy yet?
DingoK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The best present you can give your dog is another dog. Remember they are pack animals and, although humans are part of the pack, it's not the same.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I didn't see this thread until today, and my heart goes out to you. I dread the day one of my dogs die.

I hope both the dogs and you are doing well now! When we got our 2nd dog our 1st dog was 5 and had never lived with another dog before. It took him a long while to accept the 2nd.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/158/138

Height: 5'5"

Hello, I'm glad you got another puppy. Hope it is working out for your family. Last year, our dog died of cancer. She was only 5 years old and the love of our lives. I was heartbroken and depressed. My best friend did a wonderful thing and bought me a puppy for my birthday two months after the death of our dog. I didn't think I was ready for a new puppy yet but I couldn't pass up a free puppy.

Long story short...this puppy has filled a hole in my heart. Never would have thought I could love another dog like the one we lost, but this puppy has done it. A warm bundle of unconditional Doberman love.

I hope your new puppy fills your heart and your other dog's heart with the same kind of love.
petsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Reading your post i instantly thought you should either A. put him in a doggy daycare program or B. get a new dog if you thought you were ready to move on and could handle it. I work at an animal hospital and a dog came in today with what they thought may have been bloat (which can happen out of no where with no warning what so ever) but turns out he may also have a tumor. Very sad and i'm so sorry you lost your friend. I have to help doctors euthanize animals almost daily and you know what? It NEVER gets easier. I do all i can not to cry myself just seeing a poor family torn apart. And even if you knew it was coming and had been expecting it for months, its just as hard and it never feels like the "right" time. I commend you for doing such a selfless act of ending any suffering your dog might have had. A lot of owners can't handle it themselves so they let their poor animals suffer. Im so happy for you and your husband and that your dog has a new friend!
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #9  

My husky is starting to deal with the puppy a little better. She seems happier every day, even though she still doesn't really like him much. I wish I could say he's filled the hole in my heart, but a month of new puppy just doesn't compare to nearly 12 years with my boy. It's better than it was a month ago, but I'm still a wreck.

On a happier note, we've gotten tons of snow this season, so that's helped occupy my husky!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/181/145

Height: 5'3"

I am sorry for your lost.
ducktape54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #11  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

This is an older thread, but I'd like to reply anyway if that's ok.

I was so sad to read about your loss, and could really relate. Two years ago we had to put one of our three cats to sleep, and it was traumatic on several levels. The cat had become very ill very quickly, and when we first took him in to be seen it was to an animal hospital. He stayed there for a week, and after $2000 in treatments and care we brought him home not much healthier than when we'd taken him in. We were back at the regular vet the following day, who recommended putting him to sleep immediately. I won't go into the details, but the euthanasia ended up being very traumatic for our cat as well as for my husband and I. It was heartbreaking to lose him that way.

The cat had been my husband's baby. He'd come along at a very rough time in my husband's life, and my husband was extremely attached to him. It took months for my husband to recover from the loss, and even now if you mention the cat his eyes well up with tears. Losing a beloved pet who has been with you for a long time can be very, very difficult.

One of our remaining two cats (who'd been "my cat" before my husband and I got together) also showed distinct signs of distress/depression, and I believe it was quite hard on him as well to lose his companion of 9 years - even though the two cats had never been close or affectionate with each other. If we hadn't already had the third cat, I am certain we would have gotten another - even though a new cat could never have "replaced" my husband's beloved cat in his heart, or even helped much in the way of lessening his pain. I know that cats are quite different from dogs, but, at least in my experience, they too often seem to need the companionship of another animal.

I hope that you and your huskie are both doing well, and that everyone is continuing to adjust to the changes in your family. I know it can be really difficult.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 279/ticker/200

Height: 5'7

A friend of mine lost her husky and the female was in the same place. They actually ended up putting her on basically a doggy prozac shes doing better but she has her days
chase1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

This made me cry. I recently put down my German Shepherd, Maya, who was 13. I have two other ones, a standard poodle and a bichon/poodle mix. The poodle was definitely depressed. We put her down on Saturday and buried her Monday. The poodle came with us when we buried her, he had absolutely no interest in her but when we came home he ate for the first time since she had passed. It almost seemed like he understood what was going on. He has been better but I do feel he is a bit more needy than before. The bichon/poodle didn't seem to notice at all but he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, it is a good thing he is so adorable

I know this is an old post and you have probably dealt with your grief. Losing Maya was one of the hardest things I have ever gone through. She was my girl, I had her since she was just a baby, and I was 17. My mom told me that we grew up together I am still dealing with my grief, some days are fine and others the smallest thing will get me crying. My sister came over to my house yesterday and started crying, she never cries, it was the first time she was at my house and Maya was gone.

Just know that you did the right thing. Too often we let our dogs suffer because we are selfish and don't want to let go. As hard as it is you did what you could and gave your pup a wonderful life. I try to tell myself this often because I am still dealing with my guilt.
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote