Dog on a treadmill

• Okay, I admit that I've been watching too much Cesar Milan on "The Dog Whisperer". He's always putting dogs on treadmills....and I decided to try it. Our little sheltie is waaaay too fat and we've got her on a diet.

So I very patiently got her on the treadmill yesterday. She was predictably very nervous at first, but she relaxed after a bit and she did a fabulous job! She did 15 minutes, which I think was great for her first time. I"m thinking that in addition to outside walks with us, a little treadmill time might be good for her, too. Just thought I'd share.
  • Awww...thats cute! I can just imagine her trotting along. I love Cesar (he's so hot for an older guy)!!!!
  • Cute! good thing she didn't fall on the treadmill she stayed on it and is determined like her owner =)
  • My Portuguese Water dogs loved the treadmill. I've not tried the current dogs on it yet but my wee Bolonka wants to go wherever I am so......
  • Quote:
    I love Cesar (he's so hot for an older guy)!!!!
    Thank god, I thought I was the only one.

He's got something, hasn't he?
  • lol im having a hard time picturing a dog on a treadmill. im gonna look for that episode sounds like a good one...
  • I've known alot of dogs who enjoy it, though mine aren't too keen on it. They'll go for a few minutes and then decide they've had enough. Luckily they're at their ideal weight now.
  • My husband's doberman is terrified of the treadmill. The most he's ever gotten him to do was a couple minutes. It became too much of a chore to try and get him to stay on it. But he's not overweight at all, just high strung and EXTREMELY high energy and we haven't been able to walk him enough to tire him out (we tire out LONG before he does) so he tried the treadmill. I think it's an excellent tool to get a dog used to. I have never tried my Westie on it but then again she's small enough that she gets enough exercise just chasing squirrels around the back yard.
  • I have a boxer who is approaching 100 pounds. I tried him on the treadmill once before and he was terrified! We go on daily walks around the neighborhood, but he poops out after a few blocks! We cut his food down like the vet told us, but then he just finds ways to get more! He has figured out how to get into the pantry to access the trash. Last week, he ate a whole loaf of bread in about 4 swift bites! My husband was playing fetch with him last night, and after 3 "fetches" Gus (the dog) just laid down and refused to play anymore! It is harder to get the dog to lose weight than it is to lose weight myself!