3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pudgy Pets (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets-196/)
-   -   Groomer cut cat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pudgy-pets/169487-groomer-cut-cat.html)

brandnewme 04-18-2009 01:24 AM

Groomer cut cat

I took my cat to a groomer because she had horrible mats that I just couldn't work out on my own. I didn't want to cut it myself because she's terrified of clippers, and I've heard you should never use scissors.

Unfortunately the groomer had a new person do her clipping and she did use scissors to try to get a mat out. She ended up cutting my cat's skin. :(

It didn't bleed, it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, and she's not messing with it. She's up moving around and getting snuggles like normal. There's also no redness or swelling, and there's no odor. I cleaned it, put antibiotic ointment on it (and rigged up a bandage so she couldn't lick the ointment), then put pressure on it for a while just in case.

I am obviously going to keep an eye on her to make sure she's okay. There's no emergency vet here, and the closest one is about an hour away. The roads have also been closed off and on due to snow. Is this something that can wait until I can get her in, or should I try to make the trip? Is there anything else I need to be doing that I haven't done? Anything else I need to watch for?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

harrismm 04-18-2009 02:54 AM

I have had this happen to my dogs when they were so matted also.I just kept the area clean and they have not had any infections or anything like that.It made me feel bad though.Poor puppies!!(and your poor kitty!!)

brandnewme 04-19-2009 11:44 AM

I feel terrible too! Poor kitty. I've kept an eye on it all weekend and it looks like it is healing. There was kind of a skin flap before but it is closing up. It's still not red or swollen and there's no drainage so I think it's okay. Thanks for responding!

kiramira 04-19-2009 05:10 PM

Don't worry too much about it -- just keep an eye on it to makes sure it doesn't get infected. My vet says that you can take two cat bones and put them in opposite sides of the room, and in a week, they'll meet in the middle! Which is his way of saying that cats heal up really, really quickly and really, really well.
You are doing the right thing!
Kira

squeak351 04-22-2009 09:02 AM

Oh goodness. Did you have to pay them after they cut your cat?

Does your kitty have very long fine hair? I have one that is like that and mats horribly. I bought the shed ender comb and work on her every week. She doesn't like it so I have to chase her down but I make her lay still. Occasionally there will be a mat but I take a mat comb and try to work it out myself. There has been one time I had to cut one out and I made very sure I didn't get her skin. If you do pick up one of those shed ender or sometimes they are called fur busters remember that you have to change the blade in them. If it's not cutting then it's dull and needs a new blade. I have two cats that loved to be combed and they love it, but the long haired kitty (Tinkerbell) just barely tolerates it.

Justafewmore 06-19-2009 01:39 PM

Bad Groomer! Bad Groomer! I'm sorry to hear your cat got cut, and by a stranger!

kaplods 06-19-2009 03:30 PM

Mats are very tricky. Even professional groomers can have a hard time removing a bad mat without damaging the skin, either from a scissor nip or from a razor/clipper burn.

My parents had a maltese who matted so terribly, even with daily brushing. Our regular groomer did a great job, but warned us that we had to get him in to her way before tangles became firm mats. Even combing out a mat can tear or abrade the skin if the mat goes all the way to the skin.