Cat Peeing everywhere?

• My cat has been peeing everywhere. Before it would just be in the closet where he peed. Now he's peeing on clothes, on sofas, everywhere!! I have an appointment for him to get fixed in about a week and a half. Could that be the reason he's peeing everywhere? I want to take him to the vet but since money's tight, I'll have to take him in the middle of December. I'm not too sure if it's because of a UTI or something, because he does use his litter box too. Any ideas on what's wrong with him or how I can stop him from using the entire house as his litter box? TIA!!
  • Having the cat fixed should help. I know males tend to "mark territory" a lot, even in the house. When you clean up his messes, make sure you don't use an ammonia-containing cleaner, as that's what's in urine and will make him want to re-mark the area (he'll think another cat has been there). Use a cleaner especially designed for pet accidents and maybe try Febreeze, as well, if you can stand the smell of that. Love kitties, but they sure can be stubborn at times
  • It could be because he is still intact and is marking territory. However, you should also look into making sure he doesn't have a uti. I would have a vet check his urine. If he does have a UTI and its due to crystal formation..he could get blocked. If it is just marking, neutering may help. However, since he is an older cat and if he's marking, sometimes that does not go away with neutering. My recommend is take him to the vet. I know you dont' want to have to spend the money and it could just be marking, but you never know.
  • It's hard to get them to stop when they start peeing. We tore up all of our carpet and he finally stopped.
  • my friends cat had diabetes and was peeing all the time and drinking all the time. i think he was still peeing in the litter box, but he was peeing all the time.
  • If it's not UTI and neutering didn't fix it, there are some other options to try. Some cats don't like clay litter very much. You can try the newspaper like one or the little pellets type. Or you can shred some rags and stick that in his box since he seems to be attacted to peeing on soft things (very common for cats that have litter box issues, the newspaper litter may help too since it's softer). Also, put hte litter box in areas he likes. The closet is a good place since he's known to go in there, and it's hidden. Some cats don't go to the bathroom in the litterbox if it's out in the open, they feel vulnerable. You can also get another box, the more boxes there are the longer they stay clean, and a cat may not use a dirty litterbox. Also make sure there's a box on each floor of the house, if you have multiple floors. I had a cat with this problem once, but no matter what we tried it didn't fix it. He had been a stray for 2+ years before we adopted him (he was 2 when he showed up at my BF's work, starving and cold). He just couldn't adjust to being indoors, and having 5 other cats in the house didn't help. We ended up taking him to a shelter, hopefully someone adopted him he was a really sweet cat despite his issues
  • I would try to make the litterbox as friendly as possible to kitty. No lid, no scented litter (I always buy unscented) and clean it as often as possible. Make sure it's not near anything that might make a scary noise (like a dryer or water heater) and it's not too near his food/water dish.

I am a huge fan of praising my cat, who adores to be praised. If you see your cat use the litterbox, rush to praise him, make a fuss, give him a little treat. If it's been a long time since he's been, walk him over to the nice, clean litterbox and put him in. If he goes, praise effusively!

It sounds crazy but my cat Diego rushes into the litterbox every morning/evening when I'm trying to clean it just to pee/poop so I will tell him how good he is. He loooves it!
  • Our darling kitty kitty Cashmere sometimes pees in places around the perimeters of a room.
    He was fixed as a young cat - as soon as the vet would do it - but he still developed this habit and nothing we have done has helped (he is 7 years old). Doc says there is nothing wrong with his plumbing.
    At this point we are just accepting that when we find the areas we have to treat them with an enzyme cleaner we got at the pet store.
    He is such a nice kitty in every other way that we just concentrate on the things about him we love.
  • Getting him fixed should help. If not, you can have him checked over by the vet to make sure it's not some underlying condition. Make sure if you have other animals that they aren't blocking the way to or claiming territory over the cat box b/c sometimes that can happen and the animal has no choice but to go some place else. I really think getting him fixed will help though. Good Luck!!!