Old 10-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #46  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Its flushable, cheaper, requires less frequent cleanings, and I guarantee to you, if you were using the feline pine, if the litterbox wasn't cleaned for 4 days, you'd barely notice. Our larger cat is also VERY fastidious, if he or his brother had used the box previously, he'd poop on the floor right in front of the box. This stuff hides odor so well that the problem went away entirely. Even if the litterbox hasn't been scooped for 3-4 days (we got called unexpectedly out of town), he goes in the box, not on the floor.

My biggest problem with the auto-cleaning ones (and we had a littermaid) was that we'd forget to clean out the disposable bucket for a day or two, and it would get so full that there'd be clumps spilling over the sides, and usually onto the floor. And then when you pick up the disposable part, its covered in litter and ickiness.

Oh, and if your cat pees a lot at a time, it might jam trying to lift the clump because it'd be really heavy. Then you get to hear it whirring, backing up and trying again, for about 10 minutes before auto-shutting off. In the middle of the litterbox.

Our cats also kick litter to one side of the box, leaving the other side empty. That jams it too, so we'd again be stuck with the little rake thing, auto shut off because it thought there was a jam, right in the middle of the box. And then the cats wouldn't use the box.

Can you tell I didn't have a good experience?

The only drawback that I've found to the feline pine is that it tracks a bit. But for our cats, it doesn't track any more than the clay litters we used previously, and the tracked stuff is essentially sawdust, so it vacuums a lot easier than a clay pellet.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Meowee, sorry to hear that your baby is not responding well to his insulin. Between the two of you, it must be difficult.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i second having bad experiences with the automatics. I also know cats that get so "freaked" out when they see it work, they won't go near it again. As for the feline pine...it is good..but i will caution those with picky cats...some cats don't like to use the litter box with "pellet" litter. I have seen some cats that don't liek the feel of the pellets and will then not use the litter box. It isn't very often...but if you switch and find your cat using the bathroom outside the litter box..it maybe due to the litter.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #49  

oh and btw...the pregnant lady cleaning the litter box things..there are lots of misconceptions. You can get a parasite from cats called toxoplasmosis...that will cause birth defects. However, this organism needs 24 hr in the air to reach infective state in the person. It has rarely been shown to be caused by inhaling the organism. So a couple things to remember...first you never should introduce a new cat into the household while pregnant. More than likely if you have the current cats in the household..either one of two things will happen...either 1. you've already been exposed to toxo..in that case its not a problem..if you've been exposed prior to pregnancy..it doesn't cause the birth defects. or 2. your current cats do not have the organism. However, you should take precautions. The most common way to get toxo is through "fecal - oral route" So wear gloves and wash hands. Also if you clean your litter box every day (24 hrs or less) then the organism can never reach the infective state. In the most common ways people actually get toxo while preggers is through ingestion of undercooked meat. So the whole litter box and pregnant women is sort of a misunderstanding. I've heard many obgyns that tell their clients they have to get rid of their cat. It makes me want to kick them when i hear that. But yes you do have to take precautions...but most likely as long as you follow the above guidelines...you shouldn't have a problem. But if it makes you sick..well then its a great excuse to have dh do it. BTW...you cat seems to drink an excessive amount of water...you sure it doesn't have any health problems??????
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #50  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Gatorsgal - The new stuff they came out with (the clumping one) isn't pellets - its sort of sawdusty and very similar in texture to regular clay litter. Our pooping on the floor cat continued to do so with the pellets, but not with the clumping stuff.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #51  

very cool..didn't know they came out with a clumping one...cool. May have to check it out.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #52  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

I may have to look for it too . . . so far my kittens will not urinate in anything except clumping clay . . . they've hated both the newspaper stuff and the crystal stuff . . . the adults are much more easy going (no pun intended).

PS . . . I think 4myself mentioned that her cat, Baby, is diabetic . . . guess it caught my eye more than yours, since my Jazz is diabetic also . . . accounts for the copious urination.

Last edited by meowee; 10-03-2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added PS
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #53  

lol at meowee..it might actually have been that i was a bit tipsy when i typed last night and forgot she mentioned that in the previous page. That's why i ususally try not to type when drunk...can i blame the cat on it LOL
Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorgalstuckinGA View Post
oh and btw...the pregnant lady cleaning the litter box things..there are lots of misconceptions. You can get a parasite from cats called toxoplasmosis...that will cause birth defects. However, this organism needs 24 hr in the air to reach infective state in the person. It has rarely been shown to be caused by inhaling the organism. So a couple things to remember...first you never should introduce a new cat into the household while pregnant. More than likely if you have the current cats in the household..either one of two things will happen...either 1. you've already been exposed to toxo..in that case its not a problem..if you've been exposed prior to pregnancy..it doesn't cause the birth defects. or 2. your current cats do not have the organism. However, you should take precautions. The most common way to get toxo is through "fecal - oral route" So wear gloves and wash hands. Also if you clean your litter box every day (24 hrs or less) then the organism can never reach the infective state. In the most common ways people actually get toxo while preggers is through ingestion of undercooked meat. So the whole litter box and pregnant women is sort of a misunderstanding. I've heard many obgyns that tell their clients they have to get rid of their cat. It makes me want to kick them when i hear that. But yes you do have to take precautions...but most likely as long as you follow the above guidelines...you shouldn't have a problem. But if it makes you sick..well then its a great excuse to have dh do it. BTW...you cat seems to drink an excessive amount of water...you sure it doesn't have any health problems??????
Thanks.....Yep, I did my research as soon as I found out I was expecting--but I'm sure this info. will be helpful to others, as well

And, yep again, Baby has diabetes. She gets 2 units twice/day. I don't really know if that's appropriate, because vet just told me 1 unit once/day and left me on my own so I've self-adjusted. This is the combo that seems to work for her, though. I know I need to take her and have her BGL tested again, but I don't feel as though my vet really cares sometimes.

In addition to drinking excessive amounts of water (and, of course, peeing), she has also stopped grooming herself altogether. Her fur now looks like an old teddy bear (clumpy--don't know how to better explain it) and she has a perpetual smudge on her nose (she's solid white) and "litter box feet."

It was when she developed the diabetes and the peeing that the soiling started--before that I could go for a week (literally) without changing her litter as long as I scooped it out every other day or so.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #55  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself View Post
In addition to drinking excessive amounts of water (and, of course, peeing), she has also stopped grooming herself altogether. Her fur now looks like an old teddy bear (clumpy--don't know how to better explain it) and she has a perpetual smudge on her nose (she's solid white) and "litter box feet."
From my experience with Jazz, lack of grooming is often a sign that his BGL is up. You really need to get her in for a checkup . . . but maybe you also need to shop around for a different Vet.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #56  

Quote:
From my experience with Jazz, lack of grooming is often a sign that his BGL is up. You really need to get her in for a checkup . . . but maybe you also need to shop around for a different Vet.
Oof. I was afraid of that. I hate (HATE) to look for a new vet. It feels like betrayal or something.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #57  

i second with mewoo..i'm a vet myself...and an animal needs a blood glucose curve when starting insulin and then a follow up a few weeks later (to see if we are doing well) then you always need one every 6 months..some animals do not do well on certain insulins. I highly recommend getting another opinion if your vet hasn't done a glucose curve or a fructosamine blood test. You have no clue how the cat is doing on insulin without it. Also, you may find that the current insulin doesn't work great for you cat and may have to find another one. My personal favorite that i find works for about 85-95% of cats is called PZI. Its a great insulin specific for cats, it is expensive but worth it. And btw...you should NEVER self adjust insulin without having a bloodcheck. if you give too much insulin the cat WILL go into a diabtic coma. Please consult a vet whenever adjusting you cat's insulin...and if your vet doesn't have the time to do this...it is time to seek out another vet bcause you can be doing more harm to you cat. it also helps if you have your cat on a specific diabetic diet (not sure if you said this..if so, sorry) hope that helps and your kitty gets better soon. Most owners after having a diabetic cat for a while will start to notice suttle changes when the cat isn't doing well. good luck!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #58  

don't look at it as betrail but as looking for good quality health care for your animal. If you were sick...and weren't getting better but your dr wasn't really helping...wouldn't you seek a second opinion?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #59  

Quote:
it also helps if you have your cat on a specific diabetic diet
Feline DM (Purina)--solid supply, based on vet recommendation. I supplement with about a quarter can of the DM for a "treat" about 1ce/week.

Too bad you're in GA and I'm in AR.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #60  

at least kitty is on a good diet...that's really the best for diabetes. Yep too bad you are in AK...but here is my suggestion...if you really don't feel your vet cares or is too busy..its time to find a new one. I hate to say that...but i personally try to make time for all my patients and clients..even when clinics are busy and insane i still find the time...i've been know to call clients after hours not take a lunch break etc. There's a difference in dropping everything for a difficult client that just want to complain about everyting (which i don't do) and being there for an owner concerned with a legit medical issue. I recommend talking to people you know with other pets and seeing what they like about their current vet...and then finding one that is there for you and your pet. You cat has a medical condition that will require lots of exams...a few until you get the insulin stabilized and then avisit at least every 6m. It is important you find a vet you feel is there for you and your pet. You will be seeing this person a lot. This now isn't a simple cat with an annual exam/vaccines. You cat has a medical concern (that's very easy to control) but now needs a vet who wants to be there for you. A vet who truly loves and has passion for their work will find the time and be there. A blood glucose curve not very time consuming (even though the cat stays all day) but its a very easy and rewarding thing. And honestly...its an easy thing. Occasionally you'll get an animal that won't cooperate (ie won't repsond to the insulin) but most animals are picture perfect. So maybe you should start doing some research to find a good vet near you. I wish you good luck with that. Trust me, i know not all vets are like me. Some days i def get frustrated and overwhelmed...but what i always remind myself...i'm here for the animals...and that's what you need to find. And trust me...there are plenty out ther...just do some looking. Good luck!