Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 AM   #46  
resident lactivist

Congratulations, Lakelog! I've never found out sex myself; I prefer the surprise at the end. I'm also always mindful of the fact that I was supposed to be a boy, and I've got a wonderful cousin named Misty who was supposed to be Sean. In fact, there was a post on my local Craigslist last week from a woman selling a huge amount of cute pink clothes because her daughter decided to be born a boy.

Not that I'm trying to knock getting the sex from ultrasound. I know I'm in the minority these days. Just wish my aunt & MIL wouldn't look at me like some sort of alien on account of it. The tandem nursing they're OK with, the cosleeping they're OK with, but waiting til the kid is born to find out the sex, that they think is strange!

Marbear, they always let me out of the hospital with a fine array of drugs after my sections. Funny thing was, I got a minilecture the first time along the lines of "Do not sell your Vicodin, it's illegal." Um, yeah, 'cause I look so-o-o-o much like a drug dealer!

The recoveries weren't bad, really. It was all the odd stuff attendant with the births/surgeries themselves that messed with my head. The first time I was on magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts! Liquid freaking epsom salts!) because of the Pre-E and that stuff made me woozy and congested and hot and for 24 hours afterwards not only was I confined to bed and not allowed food, I was allowed only four ounces of liquid every hour. Second time around, getting the needle in for my spinal took longer than did the surgery itself, and I quit counting attempts after the fifth poke. Hubby said later my whole back was bruised. (I somehow always come away from childbirth looking like I've been in a bar fight. ) I know it's not like that for everyone, though. I've also since learned that the staples I was closed with on the outside both times are not the norm. --A staple gun is just right at the top of the list of things you do not expect to hear during childbirth.--

I have also been told that recovery after a scheduled c-section is much better than that after an emergency surgery. Neither of mine was scheduled, but they weren't emergencies either. So I don't know what things are really supposed to be like on either end.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #47  
resident lactivist

So sorry to hear that, Mary.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #48  

God Bless Mary. You'll be okay, I had a miscarriage and even though it was SOOO hard, you pull through. In time...in time; hugs to you.

Greatbigmonstermomma- I stressed to my obstetrician I would NOT be having any staples ever again. Anyone getting a caesarian here seriously consider NOT having staples. It was the most painful thing about my surgery. 19 months later I am still bruised in the area. The obs said it was abnormal but when they took them out it was sheer agony. Never again.
Also, I found the worst thing about the caesarian was not being able to feel my legs. I remember holding onto a nurses hips in case I fell. I remember thinking..if a bomb goes off I have no way of escaping. I hated that feeling.
I had Lara Paige at 950pm and the nurses forced me into the shower at 8am. I have a history of fainting after ops so I told them no, they were cruel and taunted me until I relented. Sure enough, I nearly fainted and my partner had to hold me up. I was treated badly in hospital by the nurses because I was a "big girl". If anyone says that this time Im going to pull them up real quick.
I have to have a caesar this time as well. Not looking forward to it but at least the staple gun wont be heard.
BTW ***I FIND OUT TODAY IF ITS A BOY OR GIRL***
Will let you lovely ladies know
Ciao from Australia
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #49  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Mary, huge hugs to you. I had the same thing happen to me last year. Ended up with a d&c too. If you need someone to chat with, pm me.

I have to agree with the no no on staples. I had them after my galbladder taken out, the site still hurts and it has been a year! Thankfully I have big hips for childbirthing and never had a problem delivering.
flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:27 AM   #50  
resident lactivist

OceanGirl, it sounds like your experience was truly horrible!

The worst things I had to contend with the second time around were a nurse chiding me for not walking enough (I was walking quite a bit, actually, but in my room rather than making laps in the maternity ward) and the other idiot nurse who told me I needed to "make" Linda nurse more.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #51  

GBMM-I think some nurses do not understand how emotional a time it is and how vulnerable you feel. Its an amazing experience and you just want to experience that amzement but in hospital I felt I couldnt. I did have an awful experience and cried alot over their comments. My patner had to tell one of the nurses to stop calling me a big girl as it was truly killing me.
NEWS IN:
ITS A BOY
So thats it for me, a girl and a boy...no third baby
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #52  

Height: 5'5"

Mary~I am sorry to hear about your loss. But I htink you are coping well. Remember "time heals all wounds" ((hugs))

On the staple note-I did not have a big problem with them. The did hurt a little whan coming out, but I was just happy to finally be home ater the hospital.
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #53  
Running Babe

Mary- {{{hugs}}} I am so sorry about your loss.

Staples? eek, another thing they don't tell you about when you sign up for pregnancy. I hope I don't need a caesarian, but if I do, I do I guess.

Take care everyone!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #54  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

Ocean Girl, congrats! A perfect family for you!
flower is offline   Reply With Quote