Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/167/135

Height: 5'1

Default Still nursing

Hello all. I am a sahm to 2 lovable tikes! I am nursing my 14 month old son. I am so happy to have found you guys. I did try to wean my son but he wasn't ready - so we are still at it. I am happy about it. I just don't have anyone here to help me w/ a few problems (concerns) that I have. I hope you ladies can!! It seems like I am nursing a lot, is that pretty normal? My son is a little small on the growth charts but not so it's a problem. I know he's getting plenty (lots of wet diapers) but my mom thinks it's too much. She says he's too old... The other concern I have is when to wean. Do I have to now? I know it's a personal choice but I just wondered what other nursing moms thought. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

carafre
carafre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #2  
resident lactivist

The official American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on breastfeeding (which you can view here) says:

Quote:
Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child
Sometimes it helps to have something "official" to throw out there. Furthermore, the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least two years. So you're outside of the American mainstream, but you're NOT doing anything wrong.

And you're not alone, by any means. There are several of us here who are extended nursers. I've got my 22-month-old attached to me as I type this. The benefits of breastfeeding don't magically disappear at six months or one year of age.

And yeah, him wanting to nurse a lot at that age is perfectly normal, as is being on the small side (most pediatricians still use growth charts designed for formula-fed babies, who tend to put on weight faster; in part because it can't be digested as well). Just make sure he's got plenty of access to solid foods, and don't feel the slightest bit guilty for keeping your timetable & his, rather than someone else's.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:31 AM   #3  

Default WhEww...

Thanks for responding! Extended nursing! That's great. I am so much more relaxed now. Thanks, again!

carafre
Old 11-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #4  

My son is 15 months and he is still bf'ing every 3 hours plus eating his 3 meals a day. He weighes 25 lbs. I plan to nurse him till he is 3 y/o thats unless he weans himself off sooner.
I think you are doing fine. Is your son eating solids regularly?
My son didn't start eating solids regularly until 2 weeks ago.
Rakkoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:37 AM   #5  

Yes he eats like he's 15 instead of 15 months!! I've decided to keep going. He has managed (on his own) to cut to 5 feedings a day. I think he's getting so busy he forgets!! I am so thankful that we are not weaning yet. My son weighs about 25 pounds also.

carafre
Old 11-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

Although I'm only nursing my teenie 2-month old right now, I did breastfeed my son until he was 33 months old. It was a natural progression for the two of us and I cherished our special time together. He was down to morning nursings only for the last few months and by the time he was totally weaned he went for over a month before asking to nurse.

It's hard sometimes when people (especially family) think that it's odd or unhealthy to continue nursing, but I'm of the opinion that if mom and baby are both are happy and healthy they're doing the right thing.
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 10:38 PM   #7  
resident lactivist

Well, I was reading the article in the newspaper yesterday that said if you nurse for at least a year it might reduce your chances of Type II diabetes...Anyway, the Healthy Families program the US government has is aiming for at least 25% of babies to be breastfed at least a year. It's good for the baby & it's good for you. Your baby doesn't magically become a calf at a year old.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #8  

That's great news - my dad has type II diabetes. I love being a nursing mother. We recently flew to Seattle & it was so wonderful not having to cart around milk or formula! It was the first time I've had to nurse in public. I must say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

carafre
Old 11-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #9  
resident lactivist

How do you avoid nursing in public for over a year? Seriously, I was NIP with Esther the day we left the hospital with her. When I had my first I used to be very careful about covering up with a blanket just long enough to latch her on, but I swear I've got no shame left anymore, I'll whip it out anywhere, any time. (Not that I wave my bare boobie in the breeze. )
Old 11-25-2005, 09:23 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I was just too embarrassed personally to breast feed in public, so I took pumped milk with me everytime I was out. My friend would just do the whip it out in public thing. And she'd put a burp cloth over it, but sometimes it would fall off and she wasn't ashamed of it. But I just can't do that myself. So...I picked up a breast feeding shawl at Baby Depot. And I haven't taken a bottle with me since.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #11  

I was so nervous I would go the car. I had a very bad experience at a restaurant early on, I think my son was 3 months old. My husband wanted me to just whip it out and feed him. I couldn't. I wanted my DH to kinda of block me so I could feel more at ease. Well, my husband snapped at me & I ended up in the car. We've since worked it out, but after that I was too nervous to even try! Now I am more relaxed. Who hasn't seen my breats? lol

carafre
Old 11-26-2005, 01:01 AM   #12  

Smile

Hello. I am new to the web world. I have a wonderful 19 month daughter who is still an greedy nurser. And I am having a few issues with my husbands family. They make lots of little comments that aren't quite mean yet still are pointed. Like " My kids didn't do that and they turned out fine." I think I have heard that about 100 time. My brother in law tells me that she to old to be "on the tit."

I was wondering if any one had some snappy come backs. I have tried the whole it's better for her talk and it hasn't done any good. I will con. to nurse Gilli until she wants other wise. But like like to have something in my corner.

Any comments would be great.

Last edited by Tober; 11-26-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:40 AM   #13  
resident lactivist

Tober, I'll be honest...The only thing that shut my MIL & FIL up was my husband telling them we were going to nurse until the kids wanted to quit, and then refusing to discuss the matter anymore. I can never come up with snappy responses until much later.

Quote:
So...I picked up a breast feeding shawl at Baby Depot.
Y'know, three times I've had something negative said to me about breastfeeding, and twice was when I was covered up. Once was at MacArthur Center, when a security guard told me I could be "doing that in the nursing room" (she meant the little sort of foyer area of the family restroom up by the food court; that place was filthy half the time).

I was a bit shy when I first started out, but like I'm fond of telling people, once you've nursed in public sitting on the submarine pier surrounded by several hundred people and national media, you've kind of run out of reasons to be embarassed.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober
" My kids didn't do that and they turned out fine."
You call THAT fine? Ok, whatever.

Honestly, just tell them up front that you've heard that already, to come up with some new material, or to leave you alone about it. YOUR child is not THEIR child and what you decide for yours is up to YOU to decide...and you are deciding, with or without their input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carafre
I was so nervous I would go the car.
Yup, I did the same when it was feasible. And I'd hunch so far down in the seat I'd end up with a backache. But really, that shawl I got from Baby Depot is a real lifesaver. It was just $6.99 and provides plenty of coverage, while still allowing me to see him down through the neckline. Mommy and baby are both much more comfortable now and he gets fed wherever.

Hint: If you're out at the mall and need to feed them, rather than the metal chairs in the foodcourt, see if they have those leather massaging chairs around that you can put a quarter in to test drive. Ohhhhhh that was sooooooo much nicer to feed him there.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:20 PM   #15  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

The AAP has recently changed its guidelines that bf for 2 years is the desired time, which is great as its more inline with what other bf nations do! The US is the only odd balls who see breasts in a purely sexual and nonfunctioning manner! KUDOS to you for bf so long!

I still have issues nip, mainly because I'm well past an H cup and refuse to be sized any larger and its difficult to latch him without being able to see, I still try using a shelf bra tank and a T-shirt, but I think I'm more squirmy about it than the general public, thankfully I live in a fairly liberal state as far as bf goes.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote