3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > Pregnant - Nursing

Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

So my life is about to get more confusing...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 459

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default So my life is about to get more confusing...

I'm pregnant. 5 weeks tomorrow.

I've made an appointment with my doctor for Thursday to talk about my food and exercise. My calories have been set at around 2100 but for the past few weeks I've been averaging maybe 2300 (as evident by weight loss slowing on my graph), and this past week I've been hovering within one pound, which is weird for me because my weight normally fluctuates a lot.

Anyway.

Not really looking for advice, unless any of you have lost weight during pregnancy and have stories to share. I still have 100 lbs to lose so I can't imagine gaining weight during pregnancy. It seems silly. I take my prenatal vitamins and I get enough protein, so I don't see why I should gain any weight. But perhaps I'll keep my calories around 2300 for a few months then raise them up in the third trimester. We'll see what the doctor says.

My husband has started making a point of cooking me breakfast. He's really sweet. I had eggs 'n bakey this morning. On toast. With jam. It was delicious. He helps me remember to take my vitamins and brings me water to make sure I'm hydrated. He's going to be pretty much the best dad ever.

Oh, I actually do have a question for you other ladies who've been pregnant:

How did you deal with making sure you eat often enough? Or did you worry about it? At work I sometimes skip lunch just because I forget about it, or I get hungry but I'd rather stay at my desk and work on stuff than go to the fridge and heat up whatever I have.

I keep lots of snacks at work, like instant oatmeal packets and single portions of applesauce, dried figs, miso soup mix, and my dark chocolate and sometimes a bag of microwave kettle corn. But just because they're there doesn't mean I eat them. I guess I should make more of an effort to spread out my food through the day now? Maybe I should ask my doctor that too. >.>

So far I don't think I've had any pregnancy symptoms. Just a really dark and instant positive pee test. Okay, more than one. I've peed on at least a dozen sticks over the past week. No unusual cramps, nothing sore, no nausea. I hear that starts around six weeks, which happens to be the start of my vacation in Florida. Great. Did you guys have no symptoms at five weeks, then symptoms at six? Maybe I'm getting into pregnancy-forum territory and should take those questions elsewhere, but... I like it here.
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Moderating Mama
 
mandalinn82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Woodland, CA
Posts: 11,922

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default

Hi *wave*.

Quote:
How did you deal with making sure you eat often enough? Or did you worry about it?
Barring extreme nausea (like HG, which would be monitored by a physician), your body will sort of take care of this for you with hunger. If you ignore hunger, you're going to have to monitor your intake, but your instinct won't be to not eat if the peanut needs more food. Spreading out your food throughout the day makes sense, and again, I'm guessing hunger will be your guide at that point (by the time the baby is big enough to need you to eat significantly more calories, you're hungry).

I went on a vacation at 6 weeks and I was mostly fine, except I had a window at 4-6pm every day where I was so. flipping. tired and moderately nauseous. Then I'd be fine. But I had a relatively easy pregnancy. I kept waiting for the symptoms I'd heard about to appear, and they mostly never did.

Congratulations!
__________________
Goal Met - 10/28/07 - My Progress Picture Collage - My Goal Story - Where Have I Been?

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch!

Maintained Oct 2007-Sept 2011, then got pregnant. Our baby boy was born in May, 2012...now to lose the baby weight!!

Last edited by mandalinn82 : 02-03-2015 at 09:27 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 459

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
If you ignore hunger, you're going to have to monitor your intake, but your instinct won't be to not eat if the peanut needs more food. Spreading out your food throughout the day makes sense, and again, I'm guessing hunger will be your guide at that point (by the time the baby is big enough to need you to eat significantly more calories, you're hungry).
Yeah, ignoring my hunger is kind of the problem. And eventually when I ignore it, it goes away. But I do think I need to start paying more attention to it now. I mean, before it was just "whatever, it's good for me not to eat all day long" and now that doesn't really apply, I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I went on a vacation at 6 weeks and I was mostly fine, except I had a window at 4-6pm every day where I was so. flipping. tired and moderately nauseous. Then I'd be fine. But I had a relatively easy pregnancy. I kept waiting for the symptoms I'd heard about to appear, and they mostly never did.
That sounds manageable. Hopefully it goes the same for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks for this, and for the whole reply. It's good to hear from someone who had vacation around the same time because it's probably my biggest concern right now.

Well, my biggest concern other than figuring out when to tell people. You guys are the first other than my husband. :P
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...

Last edited by faiora : 02-04-2015 at 05:44 AM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
mottainai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 382

S/C/G: 110 / 150 PP / maintain <120

Default

Having just been through a pregnancy, on the subject of eating enough, I'd say just listen to your body! If you're hungry, eat. Choose something healthy, sure, but don't just ignore your hunger. Aside from that, just have the doctor make sure at your check-ups that the fetus seems to be gaining weight and getting bigger appropriately, and you'll know you're doing fine. If it seems low, then you'll know to step it up a bit. But bodies are smart, I think, and tend to prioritize the health of the baby, from what I've heard and read!

And I'll also say, don't despair about pregnancy making it impossible to lose weight, and let that make you give up and go crazy eating. I didn't try to diet, just focused on eating more when I felt genuinely hungrier, getting enough vegetables and protein such (while also giving into cravings when they struck), and stayed active, mostly by walking. The focus on health, rather than losing weight, plus staying away from alcohol and caffeine and chemicals like fake sugar whenever I could, basically made pregnancy the healthiest period of my life! I gained around 25 pounds during the actual pregnancy, and it all flew off immediately after giving birth, as I guess it was mostly baby and blood and other stuff. Even immediately post-partum, I actually felt healthier and thinner (and my stomach even flatter!) than before getting pregnant. I still have a little weight I'd like to lose because I started putting on weight due to medication and plentiful food trying to increase my fertility, but pregnancy itself was actually helpful because it taught me some good habits about eating healthy and exercising but not doing anything extreme. Just wanted to share my experience!
__________________


Goal 1: get and stay under 60 kg
Goal 2: get and stay under 55 kg
Goal 3 (???) : 50 kg again
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
dirty labour daughter
 
merilung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Posts: 379

S/C/G: 276/264/135

Height: 5'10"

Default

I've always been the kind of person who could ignore hunger and have it go away. Now that I'm pregnant, if I ignore the fact that I'm hungry for more than 10 minutes, I get SICK. Not eating enough has not been a problem! Your body will tell you what it needs.

I had no symptoms at five weeks, and at 9 weeks I still don't have a ton. The symptoms I do have come and go, which is normal. Don't worry, some women never have pregnancy symptoms and have perfectly healthy pregnancies!
__________________
final goal!

merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 37

S/C/G: 285/274.0/150.0

Height: 5'3

Default

OP, I just wanted to chime in. With my first pregnancy I gained a total of 22lbs starting after 24 weeks (from 270-292) I gained nothing up until then. When I came home from the hospital I was already below my starting weight. Within two weeks I was down 10 pounds below my starting weight (down to 262). Then I used breastfeeding as an excuse to eat everything in sight and I gained it all back plus some.

I started this pregnancy (8 months later) at 304. I am currently 30+3 and am hovering at my starting weight. I just forced myself to have some accountability and bought a fitbit and I'm hoping to stay at or below my starting weight until D-day. I am also planning on changing my eating habits to be more breastfeeding friendly so that I will be eating healthy and won't be making changes while trying to establish a supply. Last time, I lost 30 pounds in 2 weeks and I'm hoping that will happen again and I can use it as momentum to keep going.
__________________


Goals and Rewards - Mini List
5 pounds - massage - ACHIEVED
10 pounds - work out capris - ACHIEVED
5% (14.2 pounds) - Breaking Dawn Movie Companion - ACHIEVED
25 pounds - manicure
10% (28.5 pounds) - hair wash
35 pounds - new bra and undies
45 pounds - pedicure
50 pounds - cute baby outfit
25% (71.2 pounds) - hair cut
trailerprincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GlamourGirl827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under the Sea
Posts: 1,760

S/C/G: Baby on board

Height: 5' 6" on a good day

Default

You are way over thinking this. Kind of reminds me of first time pregnant moms that suddenly can't carry a gallon of milk at 6 weeks pregnant.

If you ignore your hunger and skip a meal, you and baby will be fine. I worked full time as a nurse when I was pregnant with my 1st, and went all day without eating sometimes, and I was on my feet the whole time. If you were under weight there might be a concern, but you are 100lbs over weight, you and the baby aren't going to starve over one missed meal a day. Take a folic acid supplement and relax. Women much smaller than you eat much less or even lose due to morning sickness and its not a cause for alarm.

If you are already taking on the attitude that you need to eat all day, you WILL gain A LOT more weight than you should. Trust me. I think the issue isn't concern for the baby, but that you are using it as an excuse to eat without guilt. A lot of women do that. They tell themselves they have to eat like every 2 hours or can't miss a meal for the baby, but really its because they like to eat a lot and often guilt free. I'm not talking about eating frequently to prevent nausea, I'm talking you can stand to miss a snack but convince yourself you are "starving" the baby...you're not....

I'm on my 4th, but with my third I wasn't nearly as heavy as you and dropped about 20 pounds the first trimester do to severe sickness. Once that subsided I still had plenty of time to over eat the rest of the pregnancy and gain too much weight. And had a healthy, big baby.

Don't be one of those pregnant ladies that now thinks every little thing is a huge deal. Just go about your day like you normally would.
__________________



2007- 230 lbs to 160 lbs after baby #1 Boy
2010- 220 lbs to 145 lbs after baby #2 Boy
2013 - 215 lbs to 157 lbs after baby #3 Boy
Baby #4 - It's a Girl!

~ 5K at 26 weeks~Ran until 31 weeks~ (Stopped due to doctor's orders)
~Now cycling, walking and strength training for a healthy pregnancy and hopefully faster delivery~

Last edited by GlamourGirl827 : 02-13-2015 at 06:08 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
dirty labour daughter
 
merilung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Posts: 379

S/C/G: 276/264/135

Height: 5'10"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
You are way over thinking this. Kind of reminds me of first time pregnant moms that suddenly can't carry a gallon of milk at 6 weeks pregnant.
I was told by my doctor not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, so there are occasionally legit reasons for this!
__________________
final goal!

merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
nickilaughs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 208

S/C/G: 206/191.2/165

Height: 5' 10.5"

Default

6 weeks to 16 weeks i was a puke factory and went from 179 to 169. By the end of pregnancy i was up to 240. I lost 20 lbs the first day, another 20 the first two weeks and another 25 by the time my son was 6 weeks old.
Water weight can reallybadd nup when pregnant. Everyonea different. I think your calorie goals are reasonable. Just focus on giving that baby good nutrition.
__________________

Mini Goal #1: 199 onderland Done! 12/12/14!
Mini Goal #2 193 lower 190s. Done! 2/20/15

Mini goal #3. 186 Lost 10% of BW 4/15/15
Mini goal #4. 179 170s again. 6/15/15
Mini Goal #5 176 Healthy BMI 7/15/15
Mini Goal #6 169 160s!! 9/1/15
Mini Goal #7 165 college weight 10/23/15
Depending on how I feel/look:
Mini Goal #8 159 Lifetime goal 1/1/16
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
GlamourGirl827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under the Sea
Posts: 1,760

S/C/G: Baby on board

Height: 5' 6" on a good day

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
I was told by my doctor not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, so there are occasionally legit reasons for this!
Why?!?! Do you have some special situation? Because honestly that's ridiculous. I had the same OB for my first two kids (he retired) then this current group for baby #3 and this one. I also saw the same perinatologist for my first and second, and a different (closer drive) one for #3 and now another (insurance reasons). None of those docs have ever supported such an idea. There is no reason someone that doesn't have special considerations can't carry normal things throughout most of their pregnancy.

Too many women act like they are suddenly helpless once they get that double pink line on the HPT. I will say that not exercising throughout pregnancy, which I've done (3 pregnancies of nothing more than walking which is not high intensity), did make me more of a blob, and at the mercy of all those pregnancy complaints. This pregnancy I stayed active and I cannot even begin to describe the difference. I'm ashamed I thought it was ok to not exercise an entire 9 months...but I still carried milk and other items.
__________________



2007- 230 lbs to 160 lbs after baby #1 Boy
2010- 220 lbs to 145 lbs after baby #2 Boy
2013 - 215 lbs to 157 lbs after baby #3 Boy
Baby #4 - It's a Girl!

~ 5K at 26 weeks~Ran until 31 weeks~ (Stopped due to doctor's orders)
~Now cycling, walking and strength training for a healthy pregnancy and hopefully faster delivery~

Last edited by GlamourGirl827 : 02-14-2015 at 09:43 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #11
dirty labour daughter
 
merilung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Saint Louis, Missouri
Posts: 379

S/C/G: 276/264/135

Height: 5'10"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
Why?!?! Do you have some special situation? Because honestly that's ridiculous. I had the same OB for my first two kids (he retired) then this current group for baby #3 and this one. I also saw the same perinatologist for my first and second, and a different (closer drive) one for #3 and now another (insurance reasons). None of those docs have ever supported such an idea. There is no reason someone that doesn't have special considerations can't carry normal things throughout most of their pregnancy.

Too many women act like they are suddenly helpless once they get that double pink line on the HPT. I will say that not exercising throughout pregnancy, which I've done (3 pregnancies of nothing more than walking which is not high intensity), did make me more of a blob, and at the mercy of all those pregnancy complaints. This pregnancy I stayed active and I cannot even begin to describe the difference. I'm ashamed I thought it was ok to not exercise an entire 9 months...but I still carried milk and other items.
Yes, I'm high-risk with massive hemorrhaging and I've also been on modified bed rest and complete pelvic rest my whole pregnancy so far - I've seen 8 different doctors so far (including a perinatologist) and a midwife and they've all advised the lifting restriction. I just brought it up because a few different people have given me the side-eye when I said I couldn't lift something, and I don't always feel like sharing my whole medical history with my friends, so I think it's good to keep in mind that there are sometimes reasons for the seemingly wacky/helpless things women do while pregnant!

I'd probably be on the ridiculously overly cautious side anyway, since we tried to conceive for over 7 years and spent tens of thousands of dollars getting pregnant. I know from some of the forums I'm on that IVF women are often put on all kinds of restrictions even without other risk factors just to "play it safe" since it's often our only shot a family, period.

I totally agree that it's best to have an active pregnancy when possible, I just sympathize with women who have legit medical reasons not to be active or who have an intense amount of anxiety about their pregnancy and are trying to be on the safe side, whether or not that is actually beneficial or practical.
__________________
final goal!


Last edited by merilung : 02-14-2015 at 10:00 PM.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
GlamourGirl827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under the Sea
Posts: 1,760

S/C/G: Baby on board

Height: 5' 6" on a good day

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
Yes, I'm high-risk with massive hemorrhaging and I've also been on modified bed rest and complete pelvic rest my whole pregnancy so far - I've seen 8 different doctors so far (including a perinatologist) and a midwife and they've all advised the lifting restriction. I just brought it up because a few different people have given me the side-eye when I said I couldn't lift something, and I don't always feel like sharing my whole medical history with my friends, so I think it's good to keep in mind that there are sometimes reasons for the seemingly wacky/helpless things women do while pregnant!

I'd probably be on the ridiculously overly cautious side anyway, since we tried to conceive for over 7 years and spent tens of thousands of dollars getting pregnant. I know from some of the forums I'm on that IVF women are often put on all kinds of restrictions even without other risk factors just to "play it safe" since it's often our only shot a family, period.

I totally agree that it's best to have an active pregnancy when possible, I just sympathize with women who have legit medical reasons not to be active or who have an intense amount of anxiety about their pregnancy and are trying to be on the safe side, whether or not that is actually beneficial or practical.

Ah, well your situation is a special consideration, absolutely. Totally understandable. I'm talking about women that have no medical reason to be cautious and just suddenly stop doing everything because they think if someone looks at them wrong they might hurt the baby.
__________________



2007- 230 lbs to 160 lbs after baby #1 Boy
2010- 220 lbs to 145 lbs after baby #2 Boy
2013 - 215 lbs to 157 lbs after baby #3 Boy
Baby #4 - It's a Girl!

~ 5K at 26 weeks~Ran until 31 weeks~ (Stopped due to doctor's orders)
~Now cycling, walking and strength training for a healthy pregnancy and hopefully faster delivery~
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
Member
 
fitnhappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 98

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

Default

Congratulations!

From another perspective on the whole eating thing I can say that with pregnancy no. 1 and 2 I ate like crap! I ate so much high carb junk food as I truely believed it was all I could stomach. With no. 3 I was already up in the 90kg range and only gained 4.5kg by being more accountable to better food choices and I walked a lot, somewhere around the hour to 1.5hrs every night on the treadmill. By the end I was tipping 100kg and didn't lose any of it until last year.

Fast forward to 2015 and I am now 7 weeks pregnant with no. 4!!!! Finally at a healthy weight 60-61kg but am feeling very conscious about weight gain.

I have discovered that for me high protein 'good' foods don't always sound appealing but my oh my they make me feel so much better than carb heavy foods. I am sticking to my 1500/1800 calorie a day range as it's working for me at the moment. I would try not to get bogged down in calories and focus on good foods that are going to make your body feel good. I've always had terrible morning sickness (HG with 2&3) but *touch wood* I'm doing ok this time as long as I don't fall into the trap of 'bad' food (and yes I've tested this theory a few times in the past few weeks and nausea + vomiting and general unwell feelings come about if I deviate from my 'plan'). Good luck and enjoy growing your little baby <3
__________________


fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 459

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
Now that I'm pregnant, if I ignore the fact that I'm hungry for more than 10 minutes, I get SICK. Not eating enough has not been a problem! Your body will tell you what it needs.
You have turned out to be SO RIGHT about this. Bleh. Since Friday I've been horribly, constantly nauseous if I don't eat every couple hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
You are way over thinking this. Kind of reminds me of first time pregnant moms that suddenly can't carry a gallon of milk at 6 weeks pregnant. ...Don't be one of those pregnant ladies that now thinks every little thing is a huge deal. Just go about your day like you normally would.
I was asking questions, not "making a big deal." And I don't know where I suggested that I think I'm helpless or anything along those lines. I've just never had a baby before; cut me some slack!

I think we all want our pregnancies/babies to be as healthy as possible. So no, it might not be harmful to miss some meals, but if it would be helpful to eat more often, then I feel I should make the effort to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnhappy View Post
I have discovered that for me high protein 'good' foods don't always sound appealing but my oh my they make me feel so much better than carb heavy foods. I am sticking to my 1500/1800 calorie a day range as it's working for me at the moment. I would try not to get bogged down in calories and focus on good foods that are going to make your body feel good.
Thanks for your friendly words Also, this is very helpful. I was on vacation last week and ate out way too much, so I'm actually looking forward to eating "real" food again. Maybe I'll stop feeling so gross. >.>
__________________
-

Maintaining while pregnant...

Last edited by faiora : 02-16-2015 at 01:33 PM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2