Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/140s and pregnant/120

Default new and pregnant and looking for information!

Hi, I've lurked here for a couple days and thought I'd step in and introduce myself and start posting.

I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant, so obviously not on a "lose weight" diet, but just trying to stay as healthy as possible for the time being. I'm currently at 143 pounds, up already from about 135 when I got pregnant. My doctor is slightly concerned because my suggested end goal is only 154 (which sounds low to me to, compared to what I read on the internet, but over here in Asia the guidelines on a lot of things to do with pregnancy are different from what I'm used to), so I'm just supposed to try and keep it from shooting up too much faster.

It's slightly frustrating not being able to lose weight at the moment, just because I put on about 20 pounds while trying to GET pregnant, from medications, stress, and just trying to make sure I ate plenty and got enough rest. But in the end, there's nothing more important to me than my baby, so I don't mind staying a little heavier for a while!

Since I got pregnant, I actually started doing more regular exercise than I had been to try and have an active pregnancy. I used to lift weights, but I've been sticking to weight machines just to be safe, and I go for a walk everyday and go slow on the elliptical a couple times a week, and do planks to keep the abs strong, hopefully. Again, since I live overseas, there's not a lot of good information on pregnancy exercise, since it's much less common to exercise in general I guess, so I've been getting most of my information from the internet about what kind of exercise is safe during pregnancy. I work freelance on the computer, so I just try to stay active when I can instead of sitting around inside all day.

My food preferences have changed a lot- I used to love vegetables, when I got pregnant for a while they made me literally feel like throwing up, haha, and now I can just tolerate them. I also now get hungry first thing in the morning, where I'm used to just having a coffee for breakfast. So my appetite is definitely higher and definitely more primed to want higher calorie foods, but I'm just trying to not eat so much it feels bad, I guess, choose healthier things when I can, and not go hungry!

Boring post, but I just wanted to say I look forward to asking questions here and hearing others' experiences and advice!
Takogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #2  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

Hello Takogirl and congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am also pregnant and 21 weeks plus 2 days as I write this with a due date of the 2nd of December.

My weight before pregnancy (at the time of my last period) was 176 pounds after a good year of losing over 50 pounds. And my husband always said that as I was getting closer to my goal the pregnancy would happen!!!

Well anyway thanks to morning sickness and a diet prior to the 14th week mark of fresh tomatoes, toast and cereal (the only things I could keep down) I lost 9 pounds in this time. Taking me down to 167 pounds.

And so far I have not gone back up to my pre-pregnancy weight yet and I am still four pounds less than I was before I got pregnant.

In Portugal we are just going into super hot phase so I am hoping lots more swimming will help me maintain a little up to my 26th week. But we will see!!!!!

My eating habits have changed - I no longer want to eat chocolate all day or crave it daily and I am attempting to eat more fruit and veg but I don't always care for it.

I also like bran flakes or porridge for breakfast as it fills you up for longer and stops the picking.

My exercise is pregnancy yoga, power walking, swimming and thats about it at the moment.

This is also my 2nd pregnancy and my bump looks much bigger than it did with my first even though I am much healthier this time round!

Best of luck and I hope it goes well for you.
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/140s and pregnant/120

Hi sammy, thanks for replying!

Sorry you had such bad morning sickness- good for dieting I guess, but it must've been rough. Mine only lasted two weeks, and only until about noon every day.

We're just about to get into the super hot months here in Japan too. I really might take up swimming, sounds like a great idea!

I heard that the baby bump looks bigger on subsequent pregnancies. Mine is mostly not too big, but it fluctuates a LOT- one day I'll look super pregnant, the next day it's gone!

We're only off by a couple weeks in timing. (: Best wishes to you too and a healthy pregnancy!!
Takogirl is offline   Reply With Quote