3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pregnant - Nursing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing-173/)
-   -   Overweight/obese pregnancy (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing/252623-overweight-obese-pregnancy.html)

jeminijad 02-10-2012 05:17 AM

Overweight/obese pregnancy

I've been reading on WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20090...or-obese-women

My BMI is currently 32, and I'm TTC #3. I'm contemplating making this a goal: maintain the same weight through pregnancy. Actually, I normally lose about 10lbs in the first tri with morning sickness, so it would be limiting myself to gaining that same 10lbs back by delivery.

Anyone discuss this with their OB/health care provider?

gretel 02-10-2012 08:17 AM

My BMI was 34 when I conceived. The doctor told me to try to gain 25-35 pounds. I stared at her in disbelief and croaked out, "But I'm obese!" She looked at my height and weight on her chart and said, "Oh, you can try to limit it to 15 pounds." I ended up gaining 22 very evenly throughout the pregnancy. I probably could have pushed the issue and received support for zero weight gain, but it wasn't a priority for me.

But, I know quite a few people that have only gained a few pounds or even lost weight while pregnant. I think they talked to their doctors immediately after conceiving if not before they were trying. And you are right that losing weight in the first trimester is fairly normal for all shapes and sizes. Given the health concerns of being overweight or obese and too much weight gain while pregnant, I don't think you'll have trouble finding a supportive doctor.

juliana77 02-10-2012 09:07 AM

My BMI was over 40 and I gained 8 lbs total with my doctor's support. She mainly monitored the baby's growth closely and if he had slowed down, she would have had me gain more.

Blueberries 02-10-2012 10:31 AM

My plan with my second pregnancy (starting BMI around 31.5) was to only gain a few pounds or even maintain. I started eating pretty badly midway through the first trimester when nausea set in, since it's really hard to eat well when the thought of so many things, not to mention actually trying to prepare them, makes you sick! Once the nausea went away, my crappy eating demons had gotten enough of a foothold that they stuck around and I threw caution to the wind. My metabolism when I'm pregnant is INSANE, and despite eating terribly, I didn't gain anything until about 22 weeks.

Are you sitting down? From 22-40 weeks I gained 60 pounds, thanks to a complete lack of control.

My advice, do whatever you have to do to keep your eating habits in check so that you don't end up worse off. Baby #2 was born last May, and I just this week reached my pre-pregnancy weight. I could have been so much further ahead in my goals if I hadn't given up.

Kierra 04-24-2012 10:28 AM

I had a BMI of 45 when I concieved my son. I gained 14 pounds while pregnant.

berryblondeboys 04-24-2012 10:35 AM

I was obese with both my pregnancies and my midwife wanted to see little to no gain - net overall. I lost a LOT first trimester and then gained that back second/third trimester. In the last week BOTH times I gained 7-10 pounds of pure water weight (I ballooned up so bad) at the end. And in both cases, 3 weeks post partum I was 25-30 pounds LESS after pregnancy than when I got pregnant. My babies were huge too - 22" both of them. First was 10 lbs 9 ounces born at 38 weeks 5 days and 11 lbs 14 ounces born at 38 weeks 4 days.

2sw33t 05-31-2012 08:36 AM

My BMI at the start of this pregnancy (as well as my first) was ~34, and almost 39 at the start of my previous pregnancy. My OBs never said anything about my weight, even though I gained 60 lbs with my first, 40 lbs with my second, and going on 50 lbs with this one. I guess I'm glad that they've never made an issue of it, though perhaps if they had, I'd have tried harder not to gain? I don't know.

Obviously, we all know it's better to start at a healthy weight and limit gain to what the baby needs, but I haven't had any weight-related problems with my pregnancies.