Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #1  

Default Anyone Else Trying To Lose Weight Before Getting Pregnant?

Hi everyone!!!!!! . So I am overweight I am 5 '2 and weight 210. I am trying to lose weight to try and have a baby. I was wondering what challenges are you going through with trying to lose weight before having a baby. My biggest challenge is that I need to get over my want to lose weight as fast as possible mentality.
thefutureisbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 324/268/140

Height: 5'2"

Wanting to lose weight as fast as possible is definitely a huge challenge. At first I was trying to go down to 180lbs (losing 100lbs) by the end of the year, then I settled on going down to 200lbs (losing 80lbs) by the end of the year so that we could start to conceive by December 2011/January 2012. I think both goals have been pretty unrealistic since I only really gave myself 6months (I started in July). I also really want to have a baby by the time I'm 30 (I'm 29 now, the clock is ticking) that's why the short time line on my weight loss. So far I've lost about 25lbs (I'm at 255lbs) and we decided to go ahead and TTC now. I'm also 5'2"
Armida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #3  
jcinda

S/C/G: 248/248/155

Height: 5"7

Also TTC. I was pregnant and lost it over a year ago. Been trying since but gained weight uncontrollabley right after losing baby. Now they say I have PCOS which is said to go away with weight loss and could help have a baby. I want to lose weight just am struggling sooooo much! I lose then gain then lose then gain! Good luck!
hahnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #4  
ELP

I was 5'4 240lbs when i got pregnant. I listened to my body and wanted to eat really healthy for the baby ( I am a carb junkie usually). I acutally didn't gain any weight until the last trimester, and was 5lbs lighter after delivery. So, just b/c you are pregnant doesnt mean you have to gain lots of weight. I was trying to lose weight before I got pregnant to;it didnt go so well, andI got pregnant anyway. Just listen to your body and good luck!
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I am!

I still have 2 more lbs to lost the baby weight from DD but we're not planning on TTC until I hit a healthy BMI, hopefully soon?

I gained like crazy with DD (65lbs!) and then it took me FOREVER to get it off (the kid is almost 3 now! ). So, yeah, I really want to make sure to at least get to a healthy BMI first before TTC. I also really want to watch what I eat this time around because I just went crazy in my first pregnancy.

I definitely understand the urge to want to lose it ASAP. I'll be 30 soon too and only have one ovary due to a tumor and I'm prone to cysts, so, yeah, there's a lot of pressure there to TTC soon. However, I think of it this way. If we TTC a few months before I turn 30 and I'm at a higher weight vs. waiting a few months afterwards and I'm at a lower weight, it's really not going to make that much of a difference. It's not like my ovary will magically dry up the second I turn 30. It might take longer to conceive. We might not even be able to at all BUT nothing guarantees that we'd be able to get pregnant this very second now either. I have a feeling that waiting those few extra months and getting to a better weight with make both my future pregnancy more enjoyable, give me a better chance of conceiving (I've only had problems with cysts at my high weights), and I'd worry less during the pregnancy (I've already had one miscarriage so I want to do everything in my power to avoid it again).

Another part of it too is that I really want to be a good example for DD (and any future kids). Part of that entails getting rid of these bad habits now and dealing with my weight issues now so she'll grow up with a healthy mom who knows how to cook healthy, delicious food for her and is active.

ETA: I should say, though, that I have a number of friends who HAVE successfully carried to term healthy, beautiful babies even when the mom had a prepregnancy weight close to my starting weight. It's certainly possible and it's a decision that has to be between you and your partner. The best thing to do is education yourself. Read up on plus-sized pregnancies but definitely work on your eating/exercise habits NOW. Even if you don't end up losing a ton before you get pregnant you can eat well and exercise during your pregnancy so you don't gain too much and then after giving birth work on losing the rest. Good luck on whatever you decide!

Last edited by runningfromfat; 10-04-2011 at 07:20 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #6  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I gained 39 pounds with baby number 1 and have only lost about 15 pounds (18 months old now). I want another baby SO bad.. I dream about babies, I see little babies and I just stare.. I love them. It doesn't help I had an AWESOME pregnancy and LOVED everything about being pregnant. WAH. However, we live in a 1 bed room house right now.. and we can't even try to sell until next year because we got some stupid tax credit and if we try to sell before 3 years we have to pay it back I also want to be at pre baby weight before I get pregnant again. I know everyone says you don't always gain a lot of weight.. but I'm afraid I will gain just as much as I did during round one.. Husband isn't quite into having another baby asap.. like I want lol but he says after I get happy with my body and we get a bigger house then we can TTC. But it's hard to not want it right this second.
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #7  

Hi ladies, new to the forum, starting WW again today My LO is 10 months old.

I just wanted to second that being overweight doesn't necessarily mean a high risk pregnancy. I was about 275 pre-pregnancy, 280 on the day I gave birth. We did not have any complications. I have been able to lose about 30 pounds without really any effort. I am still nursing and eat pretty much whatever I want, I'm currently sitting at 250.

I would like to lose another 20 before starting TTC again, hopefully in about 3 months.
pennykandy is offline   Reply With Quote