3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pregnant - Nursing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing-173/)
-   -   Are you working out? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing/243892-you-working-out.html)

MindiV 09-26-2011 10:35 AM

Are you working out?

I developed the habit of working out long before I got pregnant, and I'm keeping it up now (within reason -- elliptical trainer and weights three days a week at a moderate pace, yoga and stretching two days a week). I still wear a heart rate monitor to make sure my heart rate isn't getting too terribly high, so I know I'm burning calories.

For any of you who are working out while preggo...are you "eating back" the calories you burn, plus your normal amount of food?

I just want to be as healthy as possible while pregnant, and not "starve" the baby in an effort to stay healthy myself! Curious about what some of the rest of you are doing....

Mitza24 09-26-2011 12:50 PM

I know that in the first trimester, you can still keep doing exactly what you are doing, even if it was higher impact stuff like running, etc. And the calories can stay the same. But they say once you hit the 2nd and 3rd trimester, you should try and take things slower and be sure you are getting enough calories. People think they can eat a ton more but realy an apple with peanut butter and a glass of milk is all the extra you need on top of whatever you eat. So just be smart and know when to take it easy. I'm sure you'll do great!

MindiV 09-26-2011 12:53 PM

Thanks! I just wasn't sure if eating my normal amount of food here in the first trimester AND working out wasn't putting me at a deficit, which I've read is a bad thing to do.

Mitza24 09-27-2011 09:59 AM

No I think you are all set. Actually I think I am prego too but want to wait a few more days to be sure before I take a test. But I started working out again on Aug 1st and have lost 13 pounds already. So if I can lose a few more before I start to stay the same or gain, I will be happy.

MindiV 09-28-2011 10:03 AM

Well congrats if you are!!! :)

Blueberries 10-03-2011 02:05 PM

My first pregnancy, I didn't exercise really at all. Gained 60 lbs. Oops!

My second pregnancy (baby is 4 months), I kept a pretty vigorous routine for the first two months or so and then started slacking off. I did prenatal yoga all the way through and occasional walking. Gained 60 lbs.

I will say, stay as active as you can in the early days, or you'll be double challenged to try to do anything towards the end when your mobility is more limited. With both my pregnancies, I didn't gain anything at all up until about 21 weeks, and then it all piled on in the end (might have had something to do with my cheeseburger/milkshake addiction...). Exercise didn't seem to matter as much as diet in my gain.

MindiV 10-04-2011 10:02 AM

I had to stop doing yoga because all the up and down was making me feel worse. Hopefully my "morning" sickness will lessen in the second trimester so I can pick it back up!

sacha 10-04-2011 10:39 AM

Yes, I exercised a lot in my first pregnancy and plan to do so now too (I'm only 4 weeks). Of course, it's a lot harder when I have a toddler to care for! LOL!

Being an athlete in my first pregnancy and keeping fit helped save my son's life in the delivery, I recovered very easily (although my son still suffered from a birth injury), and I have no regrets. I believe unless there is a true medical reason otherwise, the biggest favour a woman can do for herself is stay in shape in her pregnancy.

Mindi: I found 2nd trimester to be the best for exercise. The sickness in the 1st is a problem and the penguin waddle in the 3rd stops a lot of exercise but 2nd was great.

MindiV 10-05-2011 08:46 AM

Thanks, Sacha! Sounds like exercise really paid off for you!

Kittenmancer 10-16-2011 03:40 AM

Not pregnant, but planning on having a child in the next couple of years. Also planning to keep weightlifting for most of the pregnancy. One of the most inspirational sights for me is this unknown girl at the gym some years back who looked 6 months pregnant and out-squatted quite a few guys in the weights room. Also one of my former kettlebells instructors who was still teaching classes while 5 months pregnant and kept in fabulous shape throughout pregnancy and afterwards.

I want to have a strong core and pelvic floor and have a natural squatting birth at home.

Gale02 10-18-2011 10:16 AM

I am 5 weeks pregnant and plan to exercise as long as I can for this pregnancy. Morning sickness can certainly derail things a little bit, but keep on keeping on. You won't be sorry if you're in the best shape possible for labor and delivery (and it doesn't hurt recovery, either!) :)

sacha 10-20-2011 11:08 AM

No exercise for me, I am bleeding quite heavily. It is frustrating because I know that the exercise was critical to delivering my son who had severe shoulder dystocia.

zenor77 10-21-2011 08:54 AM

I didn't exercise much during my pregnancy and I wish I had. I do remember my midwife saying not to ride a bike, horse, go downhill skiing or play contact sports. Basically anything that could cause a bad fall. She said everything else was fine.

RazzleBerry 10-21-2011 11:50 AM

I walk 3 or 4 times a week, about 45 minutes per walk. I also do arm exercises with 5 pound weights pretty much daily. At 21 weeks preggo, I'm up 8 pounds. I eat when I'm hungry and try to make good choices. I'm on track to gain 30ish pounds. I'm happy with that!!

MindiV 10-21-2011 03:25 PM

Heck I'm eating right, working out every day just like I did before I got pregnant....10 weeks tomorrow and I've gained nearly 8 pounds. I have NO idea why!