Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #1  
Refreshed

Default Pregnant? What Are You Eating?

I'm still in the first trimester and I've already gained 5 pounds. I am so discouraged and disappointed. I am still in the morning sickness/nausea phase, but for me, I need to keep eating to feel a bit better. If anyone has that problem (as opposed to those who can't eat), what did you do to get through this period without blowing up like a balloon?

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and though I've had more starchy carbs than I normally would, I don't think I'm eating enough calories to gain that amount of weight. Could it be bloat? Gas? Water weight? I'm breastfeeding, too, so the weight gain just seems odd to me.

What are you eating in a typical day?

Last edited by Durian; 08-18-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #2  

i eat basicly the same diet i had before but eat an extra yogurt and fruit or bowl of cereal a day. Try eating watermelon. I have been eating a lot of that these days. you can eat a bunch and it's healthy. Also keep drinking lots of water, it helps fill you up. Keep exercising too, that has helped me.
nuumite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #3  
Refreshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuumite View Post
i eat basicly the same diet i had before but eat an extra yogurt and fruit or bowl of cereal a day. Try eating watermelon. I have been eating a lot of that these days. you can eat a bunch and it's healthy. Also keep drinking lots of water, it helps fill you up. Keep exercising too, that has helped me.
This is very much TMI, but I ended up eating too much watermelon where it was problematic coming out the other end. I didn't even have that much. I love it, though. I could live on it.

I've been gorging on green beans. I guess that can't be too bad.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

When I was pregnant, I gained weight immediately, even before I missed my period! Don't worry too much about when you gain - some people gain in the first trimester, and others the third.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I had morning sickness for 20 weeks and I only felt better eating carbs. I gained 40 pounds over the pregnancy and lost 30 of it before my 6-week follow-up. Don't sweat it too much. It sucks and get through it. I beat myself up and it did me NO good.

I did eat an entire watermelon every two days. But I had no problems with it.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #6  
Refreshed

Thanks for all of the suggestions and support. I really do appreciate it.

I definitely need to work on eating smaller meals throughout the day.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I had to start eating the opposite of what worked best for my not-pregnant body.

For one, carbs became my BFF. I couldn't even LOOK at meat OR vegetables for weeks. It really just became about what I could stomach, which was processed cheese and bread. And plain pasta. And fruit. Lots and lots of fruit.

Also, I was doing intermittent fasting with great success pre-pregnancy. I really liked not grazing all day or thinking about food all day. I would essentially just eat 2 larger meals. This also had to change because my stomach couldn't be empty at all. The slightest hunger pang would set off morning sickness. So I had to have something in my stomach at all times.

Now that I'm almost into the 3rd tri, I'm back to eating a good amount of veggies and protein (I missed my veggies!). I also do not need to eat all day, but now eat 3 meals instead of two (breakfast), although I just sort of eat when I'm hungry, which seems to be all the time I'm also less carb-restrictive than I was before. Pregnancy is a great treatment for pcos so I'm not nearly as carb-sensitive so I can eat whole grains again, which is AWESOME.

Yeah, in the first tri if you're sick you can only do what you can do. I found that milk, cheese sandwiches and fruit were things that I could handle regularly so I just stuck with what worked. That, and making sure I always had something in my stomach. Prior to pregnancy, this would've made me gain weight at an alarming pace, but I actually lost a few pounds. I'm currently up about 13-15lbs at 26 weeks.

Last edited by junebug41; 08-24-2011 at 12:53 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote