exercising for pregnant woman?

• I posted this in 20-something - but i think it's better to post here so I copy here

-------
    I still have my 24% of body fat, but my lower abs and thighs are still noticeable (lower abs is at 35 inches ).
    It's been 3 years since I joined and I haven't been able to get rid of them.

I know that i should exercise more - i'm thinking of running/jogging daily now since i've been inactive for 6 months (since the marriage). But my DH just doesn't let me, because we're trying to have our first baby, and i'm right now not sure if i'm pregnant or not - therefore he forbids me to do any kind of exercise - until i have my TOM back. Then I'm allow to exercise for ~10 days, then that circle repeats itself. And yes, it's been 6 months of inactive because of that only reason. And because of that reason, I'm gaining weights as well (since he doesn't want me to go on diet).

Is running/jogging really that bad for the first 3 months of pregnancy? If so, what kind of exercise should I do to get rid of those fat that is still good if i'm pregnant?

It's been frustrating.
    Thanks for reading.
  • I have the perfect exercise for you......exercise your right as a human being to do as you damn well please. You want to run, then run. You want to diet, then diet. You are not pregnant yet. When you become pregnant, you can do whatever physical exercise your body is accustomed to. Eat good, healthy foods and take prenatal vitamins now.
  • What aimebell said.

Not only is it perfectly ok to exercise while you're pregnant, it's recommended and will make that marathon of labor and birth much easier. It's healthier for everyone (especially!) baby if you get some exercise and eat right while you're pregnant. The name of the game isn't to sit on your pahookie and gain as much weight as possible during pregnancy. You only need an extra 200 calories per day (a banana and a string cheese for some perspective) when you're pg, and that's after the first trimester. You don't need any extra food at all during the first tri.

Rule of thumb is that, during pregnancy, you can continue doing whatever exercises you were doing pre-pregnancy (excluding some flat on your back stomach work, but that gets painful anyways.)

If your husband needs to hear it from a doctor, make a pre-conception appointment with your OB and have him/her talk with your husband about it.

You will be SO glad you exercised through your pregnancy. I had one where I didn't and one where I did and the difference is amazing. I won't, if I can help it, ever be pregnant and not exercising regularly again.

Good luck!
  • I would love to know his reasoning for expecting you to be inactive. I mean that is against everything we all seem to realize as being healthy, it won't affect your ability to get pregnant.
    I am not one who is going to tell you to go against your husband's wishes. Maybe someone can help her find some information to share with her husband about the importance of exercise and proper diet as being not just healthy for her but for the development of the baby they want.
    It is so important for you to be active. If nothing else getting outside and walking is a simple exercise. It sure helped me lose weight several years ago.
  • I would suggest your husband speak to a doctor about pregnancy, fertility, and exercise before he "forbids" you to work out.

I know of a woman who was recently lectured by her obgyn on the importance of exercise in pregnancy. I've been terrible about it because I've been so tired and sick, but now that I'm feeling better I'm looking to start yoga, walking and swimming again. Childbirth requires endurance and strength and I have neither of those things at the moment

It does concern me that he seems to be rather controlling on the subject. I know he's probably just being protective, but it's rather misguided and I think he needs to have his mind eased by a professional.
  • My docotor told me to stick with my normal exercise routine. I walk (treadmill/outside) for about 45-60 minutes, six days a week. I did scale back the intensity but other than that it's basicly the same. She told me to just listen to my body and not to set any new exercise goals while pregnant.
  • It sounds like your husband is under the impression your pregnancy will un-stick if you move. That's not true at all. Just educate him a bit.