Calorie counting and breastfeeding

• So I'm nearing the end of my first week of calorie counting. I have to say, I've done pretty great at following my plan. I've been averaging 1800-1900 calories per day or less when you "net" the exercise I did a few of the days, and I've been drinking a full gallon of water each day. We have been cooking healthy dinners every night and I'm trying to incorporate lots of protein into my day.

My weekly WI is Wednesday morning, but I jumped on to peek this morning and it's only down a pound from last week so far. I know that's good, I know it's progress. However, I'm hoping for a little more, at least in the beginning. But the thing is that I really just don't want to mess with my milk supply. Would taking my range down 50 calories or so make a difference worth doing it for? Like 1750-1850 net calories per day? If I wasn't nursing I'd probably go with a 1400-1500 calorie per day range. As it is, I'm looking for things to eat at the end of the day because I am so far under my ideal cals, but like I said, my priority is feeding the baby and so far, so good.

I don't know... any thoughts on this?
  • Fellow nurser here! Honestly I don't think 50 calories will hurt your supply, especially because you're drinking so much. Play around with it... drop 50 calories once a week or so and monitor your supply. If you notice a drop, then stop and up your calorie level a little.
    I had to drop my calories by several hundred to notice a difference in my supply.
    How old is your little one?
  • Quote: Fellow nurser here! Honestly I don't think 50 calories will hurt your supply, especially because you're drinking so much. Play around with it... drop 50 calories once a week or so and monitor your supply. If you notice a drop, then stop and up your calorie level a little.
    I had to drop my calories by several hundred to notice a difference in my supply.
    How old is your little one?
    Thanks! He will be 8 weeks tomorrow and he is at least 14 pounds!! So far the milk I'm giving him is doing very well for him We have a pedi appointment on Friday and I'm betting he will be at least 15 pounds then.

I'm going to try dropping 50 calories this week and see how it goes. I know it won't make a significant difference in my weight loss, but at least it's something, right?
  • I agree, that I don't think dropping 50 calories a day will affect your milk supply. Just make sure that the things you are eating are nutritious, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Also, you are already probably doing this, continue to take your pre-natal vitamins.
  • I am nursing too! My son is 13 weeks old. I have gradually taken my calories from 2000 to 1500 and my supply has not dropped at all. I just make sure that my choices are nutritionally dense and we haven't had a problem. Its different for everybody. And your baby will definitely let you know if he isn't getting enough!! Good Luck!