3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Pregnant - Nursing (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing-173/)
-   -   pregnancy after c-section (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing/227194-pregnancy-after-c-section.html)

Britt83 03-03-2011 09:49 PM

pregnancy after c-section

Hi All,

Anyone out there have a c-section and a second baby??
How soon after your first baby did you get pregnant with the second?
Any complications form not waiting the recommended 18-24 months?
My little girl is 3 months now and we would like our children close in age so just wondering how everyone else made out.

Mindless Games 03-04-2011 01:53 AM

My kids are 17, 12, and 11 all born via c- section.
Talk to your Ob/Gyn about your personal situation but I didn't have any trouble.

BlueIsis 03-04-2011 11:20 AM

Your risk of uterine rupture could be as high as 8% if there is less than 2 years between sections (ie. pregnancy before first child is a year old) per American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. I suppose that means a 92% chance that everything will be okay. I guess you have to decide your comfort level with that risk.

ktgk 03-04-2011 07:08 PM

This is definately something you should talk with your doctor about. I've had three c/s. There are over three years between my first two and over two between the second and third.

Every person is different and scarring is different for everyone, too. I have a lot of adhesions and excessive scarring, so I was advised that if I have any more children to wait at least two years before thinking of pregnancy again. The whole area is weak and my scar reopened slightly this time around, so I have had to visit the wound clinic, etc. Even if you don't have a uterine rupture, there are many uncomfortable dangers that could happen if you risk a pregnancy earlier than you're advised.

Britt83 03-04-2011 07:38 PM

thanks for the info everyone, i will book an appointment

Latchkey Princess 03-07-2011 01:24 PM

I got pg with my second about 13 months after my c-section with my first. Never had any complications or issues, even had a successful VBAC. My midwives and doctors said nothing about a raised chance of uterine rupture, they just cited me the normal <1% chance. If you elect to have another c-section there is really almost no risk since you won't be going into labor and the majority of the risk of uterine rupture comes during labor/contractions.

sept15lija 03-14-2011 11:45 AM

I had a c-section and then got pregnant when my son was 15 months, so was due exactly 2 years after the first c-section. I attempted a homebirth VBAC but it didn't work out and ended up with a 2nd c-section (not due to anything close to rupture, just 2 days of fairly unproductive labour, baby unhappy, meconium, etc). My midwife was completely supportive of my homebirth attempt. If you do research, there are a lot of risks to c-sections as well. It all depends on what risk level you are comfortable with. Less than 1% risk to me was completely acceptable.

lindalee9 04-20-2011 06:05 PM

No one told me not to wait LOL! I am pregnant with my 2nd and had a c-section with my first in Nov 2009. I'm due July 29th.

I am really hoping I do not have to have another c-section. :)