Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Default Post Pregnancy TOM

UGH! I got attacked by my Aunt Flo since Emma was born! I also had to stop breast feeding/pumping because when I went back to work, my supply just dropped at a ridiculous rate! I'm feeling really bummed out about it though. And of course now I've got the worries that weight gain will be inevitable from all the other things I've heard about stopping breast feeding.

Anyway, my question is, is your first actual TOM post pregnancy supposed to attack you with an awful vengeance? OH MY GOODNESS is all I can say. It's been the worst I've ever had in my entire life!

Also, I'm debating which birth control would be right for me. I don't like the pill, so are there any other suggestions you all may be able to fill me in on? Thanks!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #2  

Don't worry, your first cycles after having a baby can be all over the place. Everything is possible and what used to be a norm might not be any more. My cycles shortened a bit for instance. Also, weaning had bigger impact on my cycles than breastfeeding had - the first period after I weaned lasted 9 days which never ever happened before. But I reckon it was just my body trying to adjust to a new hormonal shift. Of course if you experience severe pain or heavy bleeding those would be reasons to seek medical help. Other than that, just give your body some time before it gets into the new routine again.
BubaMarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I was on the Depo Provera shot for around 10 years. It's easy and it's only needed once every 3 months. I never had any side effects from it and it made my life very easy as far as birth control goes!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #4  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I can't really comment on post partum TOM. I've had two kids, but I only had one period after baby #1 before I got pg with #2 and I haven't started menstruating again yet.

As far as BC goes, I'm going to get the copper IUD put in in about 2 weeks. It's non-hormonal and is a spermicide so prevents conception. I'll let you know what I think.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #5  

Thanks guys! I'm kind of steering towards Mirena, but I've heard mixed reviews. Let me know how it goes Gale! I'm scheduled in the middle of March to get the Mirena, but each day I go back and forth!

Last edited by guamvixen; 02-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I had Mirena after my 1st and currently have Paragard (copper IUD) since October 2010.

I prefer the Paragard because it doesn't have hormones and lasts 10 years compared to 5.

Of course, due to PCOS, I still have to take BC pills but I can control the amount and don't have to worry about getting pregnant due to forgetting a dose.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #7  
By God's Grace

I think the new Paragard is good for 12 years. I really like that it's non-hormonal. I've known several people IRL that have had Mirena and I've not heard a single good thing about it. Most of them have gone to the Paragard IUD.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #8  

This is why I'm so confused! The biggest turn off about the copper IUD is that you run the risk of having heavier, longer periods. I already have bad ones that last 7 days, and this one, is worse than the norm! I may have to just go the old fashioned route then and stick to condoms or no sex at all! lol I know they say you lose that "itch" after you have a baby, but seriously, just the thought of "it" is too much work!

Ok, going way back in time, has anyone tried the cervical cap or diaphragm? The last time I even heard the term diaphragm was on Look Who's Talking. Good grief!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #9  
started out 6/30/10

Height: 5'2"

Even though I was breastfeeding, my period returned just six stinking weeks after my son arrived. SIX WEEKS! I sure got the short end of the stick on that one! And yes, it was more like an exorcism than a period.

I did not go on birth control after that. We use NFP and my hubby pulls out or uses a condom. It's worked for us 100% for 17 years.
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #10  
By God's Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quail View Post
it was more like an exorcism than a period.
Bahahahaha! This made me laugh really hard!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #11  
Hi there

S/C/G: (HW 215) 208/T/145

Height: 5' 5"

My first few periods post-partum were pretty awful. I was afraid that that was going to be my new norm... but I've been having periods again for a little over a year now and they are back to normal- maybe even better than what I had pre-baby.

As far as BC goes we just use condoms. BC pills and I did not get along.
SunnyMathChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #12  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I just got mine and like Quail it came 6 weeks after the birth. But I only breastfed for about a week. And haven't gained anything back since the birth. I'm actually 5 lbs down from my pre-pregnancy weight.
This TOM is HORRIBLE! The cramps are brutal and like you said, it's way heavier than I'm used to. We're going on day 4 right now with no signs of slowing down
As for birth control, I was on Nuvaring before we got pregnant and I'm going back on it. I was terrible at taking pills and like you I'm hesitant with the IUD or Mirena. We haven't used condoms since we first started seeing each other (9 years ago) and we both hate them so it's been abstinence since the birth. Plus, I only just got the ok on Thursday that we're *ahem* "good to go". So we're waiting until my BC kicks in. Hubby is literally counting the days.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Babyy is a little over 5 wks old and i haven't had a period yet. There's a type of bc called the implanon. Its an arm implant that lasts ithink 3 yrs... thatwas my plan until i foundout insurance didn't cover it ($1800 dollars!!!!). So im going on the pill. I have a friend who has an IUD, and she hasn't said anything about it latelybuti know when it was first put in it was very painful for her for awhile.
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbySinthe View Post
I just got mine and like Quail it came 6 weeks after the birth. But I only breastfed for about a week. And haven't gained anything back since the birth. I'm actually 5 lbs down from my pre-pregnancy weight.
This TOM is HORRIBLE! The cramps are brutal and like you said, it's way heavier than I'm used to. We're going on day 4 right now with no signs of slowing down
As for birth control, I was on Nuvaring before we got pregnant and I'm going back on it. I was terrible at taking pills and like you I'm hesitant with the IUD or Mirena. We haven't used condoms since we first started seeing each other (9 years ago) and we both hate them so it's been abstinence since the birth. Plus, I only just got the ok on Thursday that we're *ahem* "good to go". So we're waiting until my BC kicks in. Hubby is literally counting the days.
Hey Abby!

Not to get all personal with you in this very public forum, but uhm...can your husband, ahem, "feel" the nuvaring? I'm really thinking I'm going to pass on the Mirena. It's such a hard decision. I seriously doubt I need anything. I've been having some MAJOR body image issues lately, and it's really bringing me down.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #15  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Just snooping through - not a mom. But, I tried Nuva Ring for about five months -- the boyfriend couldn't feel it at all. It's super bendy plastic. And if they can feel it, it certainly wouldn't be painful at all. Just a "hmm, oh, hello nuvaring..". It can come out during sex though, in which case you just put it back in.

However : I started getting insane leg cramps in the middle of the night where I'd wake up, jump out of bed, super startled, in a scream/cry from the immediate pain. I'd get it in both legs - and I've NEVER been one to get leg cramps, especially not provoked by exercise. It took me about six weeks before I was watching tv and saw the Nuva Ring commercial that said leg cramps were a big red flag - googled it, and read about the "nuva ring stroke" (http://www.birthcontrolringlawsuitcenter.com/) and took it out immediately. I won't ever try them again.

I, too, have been thinking about Mirena for a long, long time - and as soon as I get the money up that's my route Maybe do a little more research at least before you cancel that appointment if you're still unsure.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote