Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #1  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

Default Losing weight while pregnant?

Hi there,

I have a feeling I might be pregnant and won't know until next week for sure. I still want to lose like 5-10 pounds. Do you think it would be possible if I keep working out 4-5 days a week and eating healthy? I know I will eventually gain but I would like to start off in a better place if in fact I am pregnant.
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I think if you work out regularly anyway, then it won't matter. As long as you just eat healthy and make sure you are getting the nutrients your body needs. I know a lady (when I worked at the YMCA) that worked out EVERY day of her pregnancy...and I'm talking jogging. But she was and always had been in really good shape. Plus, being so early in your "possible" pregnancy shouldn't hurt anything...I wouldn't think it would anyway. That's a good question to ask a dr. I go tomorrow...want me to ask mine? Haha!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think you'll be fine. You already exercise and eat healthy and managed to get pregnant so I don't see a need to change routine. I've seen pregnant women work out and have heard doctors say it's okay as long as you don't overdo it and have already been consistently working out before you got pregnant.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5

it's fine to exercise while you are pregnant as long as you were before. You don't want to radically increase your exercise levels. As to eating healthy, that is a good idea too. Don't try to limit your calories to weight loss levels though. Your body is working incredibly hard right now even though it doesn't show. In the next few months your blood volume will increase by 50% for starters. Right now your goal should be not to gain in the first trimester.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

At your weight, actively trying to lose weight while you're pregnant is a definite no-no. BUT, you can eat healthy and continue working out and minimize weight gain. The day you find out you're pregnant you need to go to maintenance calories. When you hit your second tri you need to add 200-300 to that for the duration of your pregnancy. As long as those calories aren't chocolate you shouldn't gain too much weight.

Just remember that you are growing a baby. That is HARD work for your body and it needs the proper fuel. Both for you and for the bean!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

The current studies say you can continue to work out (and you can even start increasing exercise if you've been sedentary as long as it's moderate). However, if you're at risk (miscarried before, spotting), you should reduce high impact exercise (like running) and of course, check with your OBGYN.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #7  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

You shouldn't actively try to lose weight, merely keep a healthy diet and minimise the gain to sensible amounts. They usually give you the 1,2,3 rule cos it's simple, but not sure what it is in the US where you don't use stones. Here it is gain 1 stone (14lbs) if you are overweight, gain 2 stone (28lbs) if you are normal weight and gain 3 stone if you are underweight at the start of pregnancy.

OTOH if you do lose weight naturally and without forcing it then it's not the end of the world. I had such terrible nausea for the whole pregnancy that I took off 21lbs! Baby was small but also a tiny bit premature so probably would have been a normal size at term. While others were working out to get back into their pre-pregnancy jeans I'd have had to put weight on to get back in mine.

(Of course, I was blindsided by breastfeeding, when everyone promised me I'd lose loads of weight and get my figure back and instead I got a rampant appetite and ate everything that was not nailed down and ended up heavier than I was pre-pregnancy!)

Eat healthy, continue your exercise at sensible levels, see what happens.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #8  
Mama on a Mission

Thanks ladies. I am going to take the test today and see what the official results are!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #9  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Let us know!!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #10  
Mama on a Mission

Well not preggers so at least I have more time now to get in better shape!! Thanks ladies!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 18 stone 10 pounds

Height: 5ft 6

I was told by my midwives when I had my first born that dieting is out of the question as I need to supply the baby with as much nutrition as possible, but they highly recommended walking almost everywhere, exercise bikes done gently to moderate and pilates or pregnant yoga.

I suspect I am pregnant again and so I have bought an exercise bike, but I am going to my doctor on Wednesday to ask her if I can still do tae-bo or if this is too vigorous!

I love tae-bo as an hour of moderate exercise with the DVD burns around 894 calories, and I've learned from dailyplate that if you burn 500 calories a day whilst eating the normal amount of calories recommended by health officials, then you will lose 1lb a week of fat. So I really hope tae-bo isn't very strenuous for pregnant women!
Tina2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #12  

Well I am currently 6 1/2 months pregnant. So far I have not developed diabetes or high blood pressure nor am I retaining any water. There has been a span of 10 years between my pregnancies and about 80lbs weight difference. With my first pregnancy I was young and healthy weighing in at about 140 at my son's birth. It looks like now I will be close to 230 at this birth and I'm ten years older and not in the best off shape obviously.

I know that I can't lose weight but I need to stay healthy and get into better habits after the baby is born or my weight will rocket back up past my pregnancy weight. I need to take active steps to avoid the post partum depression that I had after my first son because if I don't I will stagnate and the weight will go up.

I've taken up excercise, light to moderate daily, and added much more fruits and veggies to my diet. Which means I fill up less on bad carbs. (Can't break the bagel for breakfast though!)
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

2salads...you and i are about the same...when are you due?
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote