Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default If you lost weight during pregnancy

I'm not very far along yet (just 5-6 weeks, we're not exactly sure about the date) but so far I've lost about 5lbs (I've dropped from 203-198lbs) from what I'm guessing is my pre-pregnancy weight. Granted, I was still dieting before I found out the news and I'm nursing too so getting in enough calories per day has been hard (add into that that I've had pretty much not appetite except for chocolate ). Anyways, I have some questions for those who have lost weight during pregnancy. I'm not trying to do it on purpose, I'm eating until I'm full and, honestly, now when I feel full I feel REALLY full so I can't imagine eating more!

1. How much weight loss is too much? Like I said I'm still really early on in my pregnancy so I figure during the first trimester if I keep going at this rate more could come off... I'm wondering at what point should I be concerned?

2. Did you show still pretty early on? I'll be starting a new job soon so I'd rather not show immediately until we get some things figured out. However, even with the weight loss I've noticed my pants are getting tight around the waist!!

3. When did you switch to maternity clothes? I actually just gave a HUGE chunk of my maternity clothes (and all my fat clothes) to salvation army a few weeks before finding out I was pregnant (this pregnancy was very much a surprise, a happy one, but still a surprise) so I'm hoping to extend my clothes as long as possible...

4. Where did the weight loss go? It's definitely NOT coming off of my stomach/chest. I don't see any difference anywhere on my body really, seriously, I'm pretty confused here!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

I have two friends who both lost upwards of 20lbs due to morning sickness. I definitely wouldn't TRY to lose weight, but if you are because you're sick there's not much you can do about it.

Talk to your Dr and take their cue on this one. The risks of losing weight while you're pregnant are pretty high, there's a chance baby won't get all the nutrients he/she needs if you're losing just because you're not eating enough. Like I said, though, talk to your Dr. They will have the best answer for you about this.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

With my last pregnancy I lost 30lbs, throughout, and had no morning sickness. I did not diet, I did nothing different. Pregnancy likes me, and causes me to lose weight. My midwife was happy because my daughter was still growing well (she weighed 7lbs 13oz at birth), and just resigned herself to the fact that for whatever reason, my body liked to be pregnant, and it caused me to lose weight.

I think, if baby is doing well (which you can't really tell at this point), and growing, then you have no reason to be concerned. For some people, pregnancy is just a mighty nice kick in the metabolism
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 197/ticker/136

Height: 1.65m

Yeah, I lost 21lbs at least when pregnant, when everyone told me I'd put it on, so I didn't see the whole nursing thing coming when I was promised weight would fall off me and I got a raging out of control appetite and ate everything and got fatter than before I was pregnant! My daughter was a bit small, but she was also a bit early so her size was not unexpected, and the early thing was probably more to do with our family history than any weight loss.

I'll tell you what they told me, though, if you can hardly manage anything make sure what you get is varied and high in nutrients you cannot get elsewhere. A specially designed pregnancy supplement can give you the micronutrients if absolutley necessary, but you need protein and fibre and general calories. I have to admit I lived almost entirely on full-fat milk when pregnant, I could stomach it and it stayed down, but the doctor said it wasn't a dreadful choice given the protein and fat content and I got some calories in. Just if you are hardly eating then make sure not to waste any calories on poor value foods and keep all your appointments.
RoseRodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Thanks everyone for the responses! I ended up having a quick doctorīs appointment since we just moved and our insurance will take a little while to kick in. Anyways, she said everything looked fine and I even got a picture of the fetal sac on a quick ultrasound (we couldnīt see the heartbeat yet since it was too early but she said not to worry about that). She did offer to give me some anti-nausea medicine but itīs not really nausea that Iīm feeling, just a lack of interest in food so I turned it down.

Anyways, Iīm definitely NOT trying to lose weight, Iīm just eating until Iīm full (and when I get full, I get REALLY full!). We were moving these past too weeks so I was basically packing and cleaning non-stop. Even though I didnīt have a chance to exercise I barely stopped moving. Plus Iīm still nursing DD so itīs been hard to eat enough when my body just doesnīt want that much food. Iīm lucky I donīt really have any food adversions right now so Iīve been able to eat pretty healthy too (although we did have to eat out often the days before the actual move).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRodent View Post
Yeah, I lost 21lbs at least when pregnant, when everyone told me I'd put it on, so I didn't see the whole nursing thing coming when I was promised weight would fall off me and I got a raging out of control appetite and ate everything and got fatter than before I was pregnant! My daughter was a bit small, but she was also a bit early so her size was not unexpected, and the early thing was probably more to do with our family history than any weight loss.
Thatīs definitely an issue for me too. I gained 65lbs last pregnancy. However, shortly afterwards I dropped 35lbs of it almost immediately (big kids run in my family and I tend to retain water easily). HOWEVER, once I went back to work full-time I put on weight in a blink of an eye. I think breastfeeding made it a lot harder for me too because I was hungry ALL THE TIME. Iīm really going to try and work on making better choices this time around (going back to work I ended up eating more sugar due to the stress ).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote