Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 168/144.8/115

Height: 4'11''

Interesting thread! I've sort of btdt so I thought I would poke my head in here. You guys might want to check out the Fertility Awareness Method. There is a book by Toni Weschler called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It is a book for birth control, but it can work in exactly the opposite way! It will help you figure out how long your cycles are (most people do not have 28 day cycles like the charts), and if/when you are ovulating. Once you have a few months of charting, I would think it would be much much easier to get pregnant when you want to, and plus have really helpful info for your doctor if you have trouble.

LandonsBaby, you might want to check out hypnobirthing or the bradley method if you are interested in natural birth. We did bradley classes and they were great. I had my first at a birth center and was planning a hb for my second but I risked out because of gestational diabetes (I was really overweight for my second but even skinny people get GD). I ended up seeing an ob but had a really nice experience at the hospital. My ob had me started on pitocin when I checked in, but did not get an epidural and baby was born 3 hrs later. The ob didn't make it. LOL I was persistant with making my needs known--no vax/vit k/eye ointment/no bath and the nurses respected my wishes. I took my placenta home as well and encapsulated it so I could ingest it after the birth (prevents ppd). We also cloth diaper and my babies have worn cloth from birth, washing diapers is super easy once you get your system down.

I'd try and find a La Leche League in your area so you can know what to expect if you want to breastfeed. I thought it would come naturally and it was pretty hard the first time around. Midwives/doulas/lactation consultants come in handy during that time. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is a great resource to have in the first few weeks, too!

Good luck! I was diagnosed hypothyroid after my first was born. Are you on synthetic thyroid? I think that there is something like 4X the risk of miscarriage and low iq in babies (for untreated hypo) so it would be good to get your thyroid stabilized before getting pregnant. I had to get TSH tests in each trimester to make sure my thyroid was ok. I think baby's thyroid is not developed until 12 weeks of preg so it is important that mom's thyroid is working well.

Ummm yeah babies don't cost so much after they are born. LOL You can do it on the cheap--clothes from the babyshower, learn how to sew or knit, save thousands in the first year by bfing and cloth diapering. I think it's when the babies grow up they start to get expensive (preschool!!!?!!).

Oh yes I forgot since you obviously know how to watch what you eat, it won't be hard at all to keep weight gain during pregnancy to a minimum (without compromising nutrition for both of you, of course). I let everything go with my first pregnancy, didn't lift a foot to exercise but with my second I had a net gain of 4 lbs. Again I was really overweight so this was totally fine. It really makes a difference if you don't have your head in a bucket of ice cream every night with the excuse that you "had a craving". LOL What a joke.
Ok now that I wrote a novel and sound like a know-it-all I'm leaving now....If I'm annoying just tell me to get lost and I'll delete...ha ha ha

Last edited by kamesennin; 12-18-2008 at 05:14 AM.
kamesennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #17  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I plan on looking at hypobirthing and bradley. I have friends who have used both and really like them. There are some others I want to look into also.

I've heard of Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Haven't read it though. I do have another book on getting pregnant that deals with how to have a boy or girl, depending on what you want. I know there are a lot of programs that help you chart too. I will probably use one of those too. I can't remember the name of the last one I saw. But my friend really likes it (she doesn't NFP for BC).

Am I taking synthetic thyroid? No. I will not take it. I did try it, it gave me tremors. I am not a fan of synthetics at all. I'm currently taking adrenal glands and adrenal cortex. After the new year I will be taking a natural (real) thyroid in a low dose. Sorta like Armour but much lower potency.

We have a bunch of La Leche people in this area. I actually may be taking a class in breastfeeding soon (I'm thinking of training as a doula). I know I have a consultant right near my house.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #18  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I'm reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and it's a must read for ALL women. So informative.

I had a friend who went through radiation and chemo and concieved the very month her doctors gave her the go-ahead. She attributes that to this book.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote