Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Unexpected Pregnancy - Seriously Freaked Out

So I am 6 months from my 30th birthday and pregnant. This pregnany was unplanned and unexpected and to be honest, I never intended to have kids at all. Isn't it funny how life changes plans for you?

Anyway...so I am seriously freaked out here. Not so much about being a mom. I have had a LOT of exposure to kids and am really good with them but I know almost nothing about pregnancy.

My biggest concern right now is my weight. I weigh 360. I don't know how this will affect the baby. Can I lose weight? I think that by giving up sodas and eating healthier I am going to lose weight whether I want to or not.

Will my weight hurt the baby? Will I be able to carry it to term? What are some risks that I am facing? Is there anything I can do to mitigate those risks?

I am a week away from my first prenatal exam and I have no one to ask questions to until then!
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Get a notebook and write down all your questions and take it with you to your doctor. then follow your doctor's advice.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-02-2008 at 02:21 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230lbs/225lbs/150lbs

Height: 5'4 230lbs

first RELAX. I am not sure if you are a religious person but I feel that everything happens for a reason. and maybe this is the step you were ment to take. you will be fine. as long as you start eating healthy for the baby and walking everyday you will be fine. and so will the baby.

Congrats.
BigMommaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6''

I second the advice to relax. I am with you on the suprisingly pregnant part. I just found out on the 21st and it was a shocker. Be honest with your OB. Let him/her know all of your fears. They will likely run extra blood work (they are with me) to be sure that your blood sugars are good and other hormonal things are balanced. I am going to continue to lose weight through my 1st trimester and then at that point don't plan to lose any more, but don't plan to gain much either. I think stopping the soda would be good just because baby doesnt' need sugar and caffeine. The OB will tell you to bump up your protein intake among other things. There is a book that I just got from the library and have not read yet, so I don't know if it is good or not, but...its about plus sized women who are pregnant. It's called Big, Beautiful and Pregnant and its by Cornelia Van Der Ziel and Jacqueline Tourville. Amazon has it for $10. It is supposed to be specifically guided for bigger pregnant women.

It bears repeating...be honest with your OB. They will be your best friend if you let them.

The first OB exam will take forever by the way. Plan to be there for at least 2 hours. I was there for at least 3 hours because they ran a glucose tolerance test which needs an hour of wait time...feel free to IM me here on the 3FC page if you want to talk more about OB stuff or pregnancy in general. I'm a first timer, but I'm always ready to meet a new buddy.
Hvnlymzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have had three babies, my youngest is 16 months.

Please feel free to discuss or ask, anything you wish.

Congrats to all of the new mommies around here.

As far as the weight loss, don't TRY to lose weight. What you want to try to do instead, is eat more healthful. Think about what goes into your body, because your baby is getting it as well. This goes with food, drink, medication, smoke, etc.

At ver 300 pounds you might lose a few pounds being more watchful of your intake...or you might gain a few. Both can be normal. It's okay.

Just focus on eating more healthfully, and focus on trying to get a little more active-even if you just walk around the block once each day. Activity is very important-you want to have enough physical strength to endure labor.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:14 AM   #6  
Mommy of 2

S/C/G: 300/296/175

Height: 5'10

ok so i know about your fears... Im 296 lbs and pregnant with number 2! My daughter was full term, she weighed 6 lbs 12 oz, and is a healthy little monster(shes 2) I am now 5 months pregnant and this one apears to be healthy as can be kicking and flipping never can get the little one to be still! Your concerns are normal but i dont think your weight is going to hurt the baby! Heavy set women have risks just like thin women, my cousin was 125 lbs when she got pregnant and had WAY more problems than i did at almost 300 lbs!
Shuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 136/136/110

Height: 5'3"

Default hi

don't worry, everything will be okay. i had my son 6 months ago and he is healthy as a horse. i was very skinny before i got pregnant and had more problems than people that were bigger than me. i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and gained 80 lbs! so i am trying towork it back off now. but just follow your doctors advice and know that everything will be okay.
brysons mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #8  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

Height: 5'6"

I agree with everyone else. Do whatever the doctor tells you.

I would focus on making healthy choices food wise, but this probably isn't the best time to cut calories. But I'm not a doctor, so don't listen to me.

As for your emotional turmoil: It will all be worth it.

I was 21 single and living with my parents when I found out I was 31 weeks pregnant. Needless to say I has a little freakout but it ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me.

I've yet to meet a single person who regretted having a baby once they did.

Feel free to email or IM me.
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #9  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

i was 379 when i found out i was preg last jan. she is now 5 months old and so happy. i lost 21 pnds during the first 7 months and then i put some of it back on. when i had her i weighed 355. i lost down to 347 before i went back to work. i lost weight in the beginning just by eating healthier. also i didnt crave like i do in normal life. it really makes you aware of what you put in your mouth. good luck to all of the mommies. this will be the greatest accomplishment of your life.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/260/170

Height: 5'3

I can relate to you and would like to stay in touch with you to help keep me accountable. I am also pregnant (20 weeks) and I was 260 when I found out I was pregnant! I would LOVE to be able to be less than 260 once I give birth just by being careful as not to gain any weight during the pregnancy. So far I havent gained any weight but I hear that the third trimester is when it all piles on!
EgyptianPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #11  
Tired SAHM of 7

S/C/G: 290/269/190

Height: 5'7"

You will be fine. If you are healthy enough to get pregnant then you are healthy enough to give birth.

Check out this site for more information plus-size-pregnancy.org It can really help you answer some of those questions.

I've had 7 kids all while I was plus sized. I was the heaviest with my last baby. In all honesty I found my metabolism kicks into high gear and I end up losing weight while pregnant without even trying.

That being said, make sure you find a doctor or a midwife that you feel comfortable with. I had my first 2 with doctors and the last 5 I birthed all at home (4 unassisted waterbirths and 1 land birth) There are options and care providers who will either be sensitive to your needs or not.

Be sure to check out the doctors c/s statistics. Statistics show that over weight mom's have a higher chance of getting a "non medical reason" c/s, meaning there is no real reason for it, or it was made up. Many tend to believe it is because the doctor doesn't want to be "down there" during a delivery of an obese woman. So you should really shop around and learn all you can about pregnancy and birth.

And
Congratulations!

Last edited by Slingnmom; 03-15-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Slingnmom is offline   Reply With Quote