Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #16  

S/C/G: Jan. 2008-173/ticker/135

Height: 5'5''

I am new to this website. I am currently nursing my 16 month old son and trying to lose weight. I look forward to all the support these forums provide.
skinny4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #17  

Wow, 7 kids? Kudos to you, I feel overwhelmed at times with just 3!
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #18  
Tired SAHM of 7

S/C/G: 290/269/190

Height: 5'7"

LOL My house gets so quiet when there are only 3 home at times, LOL
Slingnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #19  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome Slingnmom and Skinny4me!
Glad to have you both here. What food plans are you on? I am counting calories and doing mostly high protein/good carb. I find if I drop much below 1900 cals my milk supply suffers.
I use www.thedailyplate.com to track my food. Just writing it all down helps by itself!
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #20  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Nilla, I find that when I get enough protein in my diet, I don't crave sweets much. Maybe try upping your lean protein?

Welcome, slingnmom! My youngest lived in a sling for her first six months!

And welcome to you, too, skinny4me!

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 03-11-2008 at 12:42 PM.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

sling!! 7 kids that is awesome!! I have 3 but am hoping for more!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #22  

Thanks for the welcome!

Ottoette - I am not using a particular food plan just watching what I eat. I have never counted calories before and just found out in this past week through this website about fitday.com and now dailyplate.com. I will check it out and try it. My biggest problem is comfort eating so its been a difficult thing to overcome but my progress is spurning me on to continue. The scale hasn't moved much in 6 weeks but my body is changing.

So how many calories should you be taking in while nursing and losing weight? My milk supply is good and no threat of drying up. Just curious what I should be targeting.

Last edited by skinny4me; 03-11-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that I am exercising too.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

It varies by the individual-how much you weigh, how much you exercise, your metabolism, etc. but most nursing mothers are not recommended to go under 1800.

Calorie counting with ANYONE, even those not nursing, is trial and error. The only way to find the level that works for you is to play with it. For some of you it may be 1800 a day, for others 2000. Everyone is different. Try the higher level for a week or two and see what happens. If the scale moves a pound or two, then you are at the right level, if it doesn't, then adjust down to 1900, etc. and so on.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #24  
Tired SAHM of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beautiful2Bfat View Post
sling!! 7 kids that is awesome!! I have 3 but am hoping for more!

We want more too! Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #25  
Tired SAHM of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoette View Post
Welcome Slingnmom and Skinny4me!
Glad to have you both here. What food plans are you on? I am counting calories and doing mostly high protein/good carb. I find if I drop much below 1900 cals my milk supply suffers.

I'm a carbaholic so I have to do the high protein diets if I want to see any results.

I have a pretty good milk supply and so far am not too worried about a decrease. Although it may happen anyways since my DS has taken a HUGE liking to food. I try to limit him on it because I want to nurse him longer since he is only 6 mo and he is my 2nd fully BF (from the breast) baby. The last 3 babies were nursing nightmares. The one I had chronic thrush and very bad advice from a doctor and any and all homeopathics never worked. But I nursed him for 5 months through cracked bleeding and extremely painful nipples until I had a double breast infection. Then I quit. That's the short version. Then the next one after him started with a lethargic jaundice baby so getting him to nurse was slow going, but then the thrush returned, then more mastitis, but through all of that I ended up discovering exlusive pumping so I exclusively pumped for him for 6 months. Then the one before this one I was really hoping to BF but she ended up having palet problems. Her's was too high and so she could never get a proper latch and coupled with a weak suck she wasn't getting any milk so I went on to exclusively pump for her for 6 months as well.

This last one I've been through the gamut. Chronic plugged ducts and mastits on my right side, leading to a refusal of that breast, latching difficulties at the beginning too. But I've kept on it and with some pumping every day to keep up the supply on the right and some homeopathics to keep the plugged ducts away, we are on our way to being fully breastfed from both breasts. But it's been a literal **** getting there.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingnmom View Post
I'm a carbaholic so I have to do the high protein diets if I want to see any results.

I have a pretty good milk supply and so far am not too worried about a decrease. Although it may happen anyways since my DS has taken a HUGE liking to food. I try to limit him on it because I want to nurse him longer since he is only 6 mo and he is my 2nd fully BF (from the breast) baby. The last 3 babies were nursing nightmares. The one I had chronic thrush and very bad advice from a doctor and any and all homeopathics never worked. But I nursed him for 5 months through cracked bleeding and extremely painful nipples until I had a double breast infection. Then I quit. That's the short version. Then the next one after him started with a lethargic jaundice baby so getting him to nurse was slow going, but then the thrush returned, then more mastitis, but through all of that I ended up discovering exlusive pumping so I exclusively pumped for him for 6 months. Then the one before this one I was really hoping to BF but she ended up having palet problems. Her's was too high and so she could never get a proper latch and coupled with a weak suck she wasn't getting any milk so I went on to exclusively pump for her for 6 months as well.

This last one I've been through the gamut. Chronic plugged ducts and mastits on my right side, leading to a refusal of that breast, latching difficulties at the beginning too. But I've kept on it and with some pumping every day to keep up the supply on the right and some homeopathics to keep the plugged ducts away, we are on our way to being fully breastfed from both breasts. But it's been a literal **** getting there.
I just wanted to say that I truly admire you for your perseverence in breastfeeding your children. I have been BFing for 16 months and have had difficulties but nothing like you have faced. It truly takes a special person to persevere and I commend you. I am contemplating weaning my son since now he almost bites me all the time and has drawn blood on occasion. I wish you the best in your weight loss journey.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #27  

I am going to try and get more lean protein in my diet. Of course as I type this I am also eating peanut m&m's out of a big bag..what is wrong with me?
I think a huge part of my problem is that I am not planning out my meals and snacks so I end up getting ravenous and then eat these huge meals followed by high fat sweets. I really need to commit to making healthier food choices.
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Wow...3 kids and 7 kids, both still wanting more?!!

You ladies must be the most patient women in the world!

I had two, a girl and a boy, and we were done. Saber, our third (boy), was a "surprise" a few years down the line. He is 19 months old, and the others are both in school. When we found out about him, we had already gotten rid of the bassinet, crib, infant seat, clothes (maternity and baby)-EVERYTHING. We had to buy everything all over again!

Now we are REALLY done.

I don't think that I could handle any more (physically or mentally)!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

sling how many do you hink you'll have?
DH wants about 8 but I think I would be happy with 5. We'll see!

Aphil..that is tough giving everything away!! I think I'm going to keep most things even after I think I'm done just in case!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #30  
Tired SAHM of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beautiful2Bfat View Post
sling how many do you hink you'll have?
DH wants about 8 but I think I would be happy with 5. We'll see!

Aphil..that is tough giving everything away!! I think I'm going to keep most things even after I think I'm done just in case!!
It depends on what day you ask me, LOL

Some days 8 seems like enough and then other days 10 seems like it would be better.

Dh is only on board for 8 so far, but he's easily persuaded too. He's a man and always worries about the financial side of things. I do too, but not like he does, since he is the bread winner of the family so I understand where he is coming from and so I don't push the issue of more than 8 at this time.

I am hoping to be pregnant before the end of the year, but at least not until Oct or Nov.