Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 01:57 AM   #1  

Does anyone have a low point, real (from scratch) pizza dough recipe they'd like to share? I'm looking for the real thing not pita bread or other substitutes for pizza dough.

Thanks.

Best,
Alyson
Old 05-22-2001, 11:28 PM   #2  

I haven't tried this as a pizza dough yet- I make it as a flat bread and in quick sour dough want-a-bee rolls/loaves all the time. From my experince making the flat bread it would be a great pizza crust- the sour dough texture is unique and tastey- also makes great crutons for salad. You may want to try it as a bread first before making into pizza.

I will put a plug for my favorite pizza crust find- Flatout Bread- it is a new one here in Michigan (hope they go national soon)- each peice of bread is 7X11 inches (1/4 inch thick)- I get the italian herb flavor. 1 whole one has 3 points- that with some sauce, mushrooms, and an ounce of sheese and I am all set. A package of 5 is like $2.25 so they are even affordable. THey are putting together a web site- I will post it if they even really get it going-lol.

Here is the bread/roll recipe I love- total points 22 (using 8 points per cup of flour)-(would make about 2 9X13 inch pizza doughs- pretty much fat free, could up the fiber with use of whole wheat flour for part of the flour):
~2/3 cup lukewarm water
~1 Tablespoon sugar (this is to feed the yeast- very important to use)
~1 pkg yeast
~2/3 cup skim milk- also lukewarm (110-120 degrees if you have to be exact)
~1/2 teaspoon salt
~1/4 teaspoon baking soda
~ 2 1/2 cups flour (may need to use less if you use regular versus bread flour)

Mix water, sugar, & yeast, set aside (should see activity wiht the yeast- if not, your yeast may be too old, water not at correct tempurature, etc). Disslove bakign soda in the warm milk, add salt, and 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat until fairly smooth. Mix in yeast mixture and remaining flour. Dough will be thick and sticky, but smooth at the same time- it will not be like typical bread dough.

For flat bread- I stir in spices to taste, hand flatten dough to 1/2-3/4 inch thick on 2 cookies sheet lightly brushed with olive oil, brush top with olive oil, sprinkle with parmaseon cheese and bake with only allowing 10-15 minutes of time to raise (if it raises too much, I hand flatten). Bake at 375 for 12-18 minutes. I would think you could do the same basic thing for pizza dough, minus the spices and other toppings (though the olive oil can be a good addition for pizza too). You may want to have some corn flour on the pan when you spread out the dough (I am allegic to corn so it is out for me).

For rolls/bread- shape according to product on cookie sheet/pie pan lighty sprayed with Pam/olive oil- allow room for rolls/loaves to spread slightly(makes 2 small round loaves or several sandwhich rolls- may need to adjust baking time accordingly- listed for 2 loaves), cover, let rise for 45-60 minutes in a warm, moist location. Spray top of dough with Pam or brush with olive oil. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes (lightly browned). Spray or brush again upon removal from oven to soften crust. Allow to cool.

Let me know what you think of it~
Christine
Old 05-24-2001, 11:49 AM   #3  
elc

Default Flatout Bread

Hi Christine,
I live in Michigan and I would like to know where you purchased the flatout bread. It sounds great!!
Old 05-24-2001, 03:04 PM   #4  

I had been finding it at the deli at one Lansing Meijer store but I went yesterday and they were out I will have to find a package and look for the phone number- here it is....no phone but here is the name and address of the manufacture: Delections (food with attitude) 719 Ellsworth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48108. Called info for the phone number: 734-662-7701- looks liek they are more on the east side of the state but they are going to call me back with more info after they talk to their Lansing distributor. He also said they just did a big thing with WW in Ann Arbor- at 2 points per serving it is a bargin.

Here is the nutritional info for the orriginal flavor: 1/2 half of a flatbread (still a good sized piece) cal: 120, fat 2 gr, fiber: 1 gr, sodium: 240, protien 5 grams. It was $2.29 for a package of 5 flatbreads (10 servings)

I am actually enjoying 1/2 of a flat bread pizza right now- YUM!

Christine
Old 05-24-2001, 03:50 PM   #5  
elc

Default Flatbread

Looks like I will be hitting all of the Meijer's stores in my area tomorrow. I live on the east-side of Michigan about 50 minutes from Ann Arbor so maybe I'm in luck.
I love the pansy!
Old 05-24-2001, 10:06 PM   #6  

Default Hope you find them...are you close to Howell?

I go to physical therapy just north of Howell so if you find them near there (and don't buy every last package) let me know.

I found them in the Deli @ Meijer- watch it if it is right in front of the hot case- then it gets 'steamed' from all the heat and moisture (can you tell I was a former deli clerk-lol). If they do have it in front of the hot case, take the packages on the bottom.

I couldn't find it today at the store they recomended- hopefully they will be getting it in soon. I did buy some fresh made middle eastern pitas- so much different then the presservative filled ones I use to get. These are made in Rosevault MI. !20 calories, 0 fat, 1 gram fiber. Ingrediants I can read (flour, water, sugar, salt, yeast). Another great 2 point find....now I just have to wait for my chickpeas to finish softening to make some garlic hummus- yummy!
Old 05-25-2001, 02:54 PM   #7  
elc

Default Found them

Thanks Christine for the tip.
I was abe to find them at the local Meijers in St. Clair Shores. They only had the original flavor and I made a pizza with half for my lunch. It was very good.
I don't live anywhere near Howell so you are safe.LOL
Again, thank you.
Closed Thread